Advice request. GFO reactor or refugium?

Bushman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys, I've read and read and still have an issue deciding on which way to go here. 40 gal AIO, and I'm going to add either a HOB GFO reactor or a HOB 'fuge. I'm leaning toward the reactor, but wanted to hear from the crew here. Thoughts?

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I’d do a refugium you get a safe place for pods and to multiply, and if you run the light at night a more stable PH swing. Also, you don’t need to keep buying GFO.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The few times I've tried running GFO - the reduction in phosphates is fast and large and overall my tank seems to get slightly unhappy. Never actually lost anything but cyano or dinos start to appear, corals appear less happy etc.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer GFO - it's easier to measure both in terms of how much to add and how effective it is. There is obviously more concern with gfo stripping the water clean - an accurate way of measuring phosphates, at least initially is very important. Once you get it dialed in though unless you drastically change how much phosphate you are adding to the tank, it becomes basically set and forget just replacing the media regularly and that's it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back