Advice with Sump-thing

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just wanted some advice or options. I want to get a sump for my 40b & then in the future for my 75 gal. My tanks are NOT drilled so I want an overflow box , but I don't . Just worried about flooding if I'm not around. Just wanted to know of any option to do this & if I have to do overflow box which is the best option. Help!?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a CPR overflow link, as far as the sump make sure that the sump is large enough to hold the amount of water if the system is shut down or power goes out. I plumped mine with and overflow drain so that if the whole tank emptied into the sump it still would not overflow
IMG_3236.JPG

chris31759

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow box with a single u tube should suffice. I cant remember the brand i have used in the past. I know eshopps makes a decent one but there is slightly better one that is cheaper. I can't remember the brand. I wouldn't recommend a CPR branded overflow that relies on a Tom's aqualifter to maintain the siphon. If possible build the sump to hold all the water from a siphon break if there is a power failure. You can drill a small hole on the return line just below the water line so the siphon breaks quickly. If the siphon breaks with power running then you want to make sure the amount of water in the sump pump section won't overflow the tank it self. This doesn't happen often. There are ways of setting up float switches, solenoids and leak detectors to prevent this or stop the pump. It's pretty easy to do if you are running an Apex. I wouldn't worry about this to much. Last thing to consider is the water volume of your ATO container. The container continues to feed the pump section of the sump until it's empty. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently installed an Eshopp 1200 and can tell you that there are some design flaws. The outer box is not high enough and if you try to run it with the short piece of 1" pipe they include, you can't avoid sucking air into the full siphon pipes. I built my box up by 1.25" and fixed that. Also, they don't include the gate valve and the system is hopeless with out it. Won't work properly at all. I meant to do a review on this site but can't figure out how to get at writing the article.

chris31759

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jsker figured out how to avoid the problem of the aqualifter failing. He knows way more than I do. Unfortunately, I didn't have mine set up the same way and am in the process of replacing my carpeting.

chris31759

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my overflow from David at Aquapro's in Glen Ellyn IL. If you shoot him an email or call, he can tell you the brand.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshopps is what I'm using but the 800gph for my 36gallon, had to get a smaller return pump though my mag 5 was overload. I am very happy with slower flow through my sump and most of my tank flow from power heads. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
Luna

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever try Toms aquatics rapid pro overflow box?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back