AFR vs 2-Part vs Water Changes

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou Ekus from Tropic Marin said in a talk, you should always back up all for reef with something like the balling method(or any two part) where you have complete control over every parameter. As they slowly go out of sync you just add what’s needed and keep on. He also said that due to it being calcium formate, it is better to test your calcium for the increase because the alk cannot be tested for right away like the calcium can. Once you know what a dose does to your tank calcium wise which then leads to the alk increase, you’ll know how much afr your system consumes and how much of whatever two part system you like.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. If you are using AFR and your ALK is increasing or too high then decrease the daily amount used.

The instructions are pretty clear to include a flow chart.
1715175715842.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using AFR to keep levels stable. I don’t remember if mag or cal was fluctuating more but my 20 ml daily dose keeps their levels constant and alkalinity high as I mentioned.

I never have to dose mag or cal separately. I just wish my alkalinity were lower.
Why? Mine runs 10-12 and it’s fine! Accelerates coral growth.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. If you are using AFR and your ALK is increasing or too high then decrease the daily amount used.

The instructions are pretty clear to include a flow chart.
1715175715842.png
My alk isn’t running too high. My alk and calcium stay consistent. My post is regarding magnesium and how to keep those levels consistent.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only test mag because it came with the red sea pro kit I purchased mostly to cross check alk with my hannah. After reading the post from Randy about mag testing I do it maybe every 2 weeks just because I have it. I test calcium weekly and alk every 3 days. 18ml keeps alk between 8.6-8.8 on both hannah and redsea. Calc is somewhere in the 420-480 range some of that I attribute to test error and 1500+ mag usually varies 1520-1580 again probably test errors. Those swings probably mean very little if infact they are actual swings. You need to remember that testing mag is not easy to get correct numbers and calc can be the same. Most tests have margin of error so I take the test results with a grain of salt. My first reef life I used api for every test and I just knew it was close. I didnt loose corals by the hundreds or even tens.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not dosing to maintain alkalinity, but rather calcium and magnesium. The alkalinity increase is an unwanted side effect.
Hence the exact reason to not dose any fixed alk and calcium product based on anything except alk. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk isn’t running too high. My alk and calcium stay consistent. My post is regarding magnesium and how to keep those levels consistent.

It will drop extremely slowly (never consumed faster than 1/10th if the calcium consumption rate) and once a week to once a month, if ever, is plenty often enough.

Better yet, never measure it. Just dose based on calcium consumption.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou Ekus from Tropic Marin said in a talk, you should always back up all for reef with something like the balling method(or any two part) where you have complete control over every parameter. As they slowly go out of sync you just add what’s needed and keep on. He also said that due to it being calcium formate, it is better to test your calcium for the increase because the alk cannot be tested for right away like the calcium can. Once you know what a dose does to your tank calcium wise which then leads to the alk increase, you’ll know how much afr your system consumes and how much of whatever two part system you like.

I very strongly disagree with Lou in the suitability of dosing based on calcium for any product like AFR or kalkwasser. Testing is not accurate enough and consumption is too slow. Alk is a far better choice.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very strongly disagree with Lou in the suitability of dosing based on calcium for any product like AFR or kalkwasser. Testing is not accurate enough and consumption is too slow. Alk is a far better choice.
What he said was you cannot test for results instantly for alk to see an increase. You are better off testing calcium to see an instant increase. Nothing to do with long term. Alk is always the better choice for monitoring daily trends, atleast from what I have gathered.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said was you cannot test for results instantly for alk to see an increase. You are better off testing calcium to see an instant increase. Nothing to do with long term. Alk is always the better choice for monitoring daily trends, atleast from what I have gathered.

Yes, that is true, and is why I do not recommend AFR with automated testing and dosing, but if you test 24 h after the last dose it works fine.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back