Ai Hydra 32 problem

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 3 AI Hydra 32’s over my tank for about 2 years. I went to clean them and took off the diffusers to see that the red LED diodes melted on all 3. Lights still work, par is still strong, SPS still happy. What do I do? Are people willing to buy these and fix them for a discounted price? Will AI help me or fix them? What’s the process and what route should I take?

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by melted do you mean brown in color but the gel dome is still there? or fully melted away and no gel dome is left on the led, all my prime 16hds had red diodes that looked brown in color which i too thought they where melted but they where not.

Upvote 0

Kate Vellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 3 AI Hydra 32’s over my tank for about 2 years. I went to clean them and took off the diffusers to see that the red LED diodes melted on all 3. Lights still work, par is still strong, SPS still happy. What do I do? Are people willing to buy these and fix them for a discounted price? Will AI help me or fix them? What’s the process and what route should I take?
That sounds like what I am seeing on one of my 2 Hydra 32s that have been in use for about 2 1/2 to 3 years. The gel? is hanging below the light fixture like a glob of molten glass. One light in one pair is worse than the other, but both on the same fixture are melted. The other 32 that was put up at the same time appears to be intact. I have sent a chat to AquaIlluminations but haven't a response yet.

Attachments

• Hydra 32 melting.jpg
    Hydra 32 melting.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by melted do you mean brown in color but the gel dome is still there? or fully melted away and no gel dome is left on the led, all my prime 16hds had red diodes that looked brown in color which i too thought they where melted but they where not.
Two of the lights had the gel covered melted through the middle
That sounds like what I am seeing on one of my 2 Hydra 32s that have been in use for about 2 1/2 to 3 years. The gel? is hanging below the light fixture like a glob of molten glass. One light in one pair is worse than the other, but both on the same fixture are melted. The other 32 that was put up at the same time appears to be intact. I have sent a chat to AquaIlluminations but haven't a response yet.
I’m having the exact same issue. No response from AI either.

Upvote 0

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the gel is a little dome on top of the bare led diodes you can see once you open up the fixture, but i think thats the worst case of lens melting ive seen on AI lights ever, all the ai lights i have owned have had their uv diodes melt the lens by burning a hole through the plastic lens. i just ended up replacing the lenses a few times then just selling the lights all together.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the gel is a little dome on top of the bare led diodes you can see once you open up the fixture, but i think thats the worst case of lens melting ive seen on AI lights ever, all the ai lights i have owned have had their uv diodes melt the lens by burning a hole through the plastic lens. i just ended up replacing the lenses a few times then just selling the lights all together.
How do we go about getting them fixed? Is it expensive?

Upvote 0

AZRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shane, Did AI ever respond and what was their solution? I was in the process of looking for some led fixtures and AI was on short list.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can buy replacement "pucks" for the burned lenses directly from their website.
Yea just get the replacement lens. They are like $5. Its the one weak link and lens vary from 6 months to longer before they melt. I ran 8 at one time, 16hds, and they all melt over time.
I would check them every 6 months. They are easy to change.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shane, Did AI ever respond and what was their solution? I was in the process of looking for some led fixtures and AI was on short list.
Hey, yeah the lights were totally fine. They sent me replacement lenses and they work good as new, the PAR output is the same as the day I bought them. Great lights.

Upvote 0

Kate Vellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea just get the replacement lens. They are like $5. Its the one weak link and lens vary from 6 months to longer before they melt. I ran 8 at one time, 16hds, and they all melt over time.
I would check them every 6 months. They are easy to change.
How did you get out of paying $40 in shipping for two lenses? BTW, I have had no reply from AI.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get out of paying $40 in shipping for two lenses? BTW, I have had no reply from AI.
Well I bought 10 about 3 years ago and still have 4.
They are $4.04. Shipping should not be $40. Mine came priority mail in a small box, less than $10.

Upvote 0

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get the expensive shipping but I have to order 4 sets here shortly for the hydra 26hds...

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back