AI Hydra 52 HD repair saga

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Toddah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI Hydra 52 HD light that I loved for its tuneability and great looks over the tank.
On Sept 30th my 52 would not turn on, orange light flashing on the back of the light. Green on the power supply until I plugged in the light then flashing green.
I contacted AI by phone and was helped by a very courteous gentlemen who helped me troubleshoot the issue, it was determined it was a "driver issue". and they typically had a 3 day turn around cycle.
I sent the light by UPS as instructed with RMA information on the 30th of September.
October 7th, I contacted Customer Service to inquire about repair status. I was told they received the light, but they had not looked at it yet.
October 10th, I sent another inquery about the repair
October 11th I was contacted by email and told they would "look at the light as soon as they can" they would be in touch as soon as they can.
October 13th, I got an email that I should call to discuss my light status, I called but they were closed
October 14th, I called and was told the light needed a driver and a WiFI board and was quoted around $200 (don't remember exactly) or I was offered a discounted Hydra 64. Happy with the 52HD I said go and repair it. paid with my credit card.
October 17th I again contacted them about status and was told "chances are tech would be able to repair it today"
October 20th again no communication so I again inquired about status, I was told it shipped and should arrive today (it did).
I looked at the invoice with the light and it showed
Hydra52 Connector board
Hydra52 Driver
4 AI FI lens (they were fine I had inspected them when troubleshooting)
Repair total of $271.00
I set it back up and plugged it in and low and behold it still did not work. same symptoms as before
Contacted them by email and was told "most likely" the power supply was bad (it meters at 36 Volts) and I can order another for $90.00
So now I am $361.00 deep into an older light I had repaired

I am beside myself with this situation My tank has been under emergency lighting for over 24 days now and I will have almost $400 in repairing my Hydra 52 HD and still trying things to get it lit again.

I have owned numerous Aqua Illumination products and have always loved the product, but this has me ready to trash bin the whole Aqua Illumination collection and go elsewhere for my reef tank lighting needs.

I am really disappointed in the whole process as it has turned out.

Am I being unreasonable?

OP
OP
T

Toddah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI Hydra 52 HD light that I loved for its tuneability and great looks over the tank.
On Sept 30th my 52 would not turn on, orange light flashing on the back of the light. Green on the power supply until I plugged in the light then flashing green.
I contacted AI by phone and was helped by a very courteous gentlemen who helped me troubleshoot the issue, it was determined it was a "driver issue". and they typically had a 3 day turn around cycle.
I sent the light by UPS as instructed with RMA information that day on the 30th of September.
October 7th, I contacted Customer Service to inquire about repair status. I was told they received the light, but they had not looked at it yet.
October 10th, I sent another inquiry about the repair
October 11th I was contacted by email and told they would "look at the light as soon as they can" they would be in touch as soon as they can.
October 13th, I got an email that I should call to discuss my light status, I called but they were closed
October 14th, I called and was told the light needed a driver and a Wi-Fi board and was quoted around $200 (don't remember exactly) or I was offered a discounted Hydra 64. Happy with the 52HD I said go and repair it. paid with my credit card.
October 17th I again contacted them about status and was told "chances are tech would be able to repair it today"
October 20th again no communication so I again inquired about status, I was told it shipped and should arrive today (it did).

Hydra52 Connector board
Hydra52 Driver
4 AI FI lens (they were fine I had inspected them when troubleshooting
Invoice total of $271.00

I set it back up and plugged it in and low and behold it still did not work. same symptoms as before
Contacted them by email and was told "most likely" the power supply was bad (it meters at 36 Volts) and I can order another for $90.00

I am beside myself with this situation My tank has been under emergency lighting for over 24 days now and I will have almost $400 in repairing my Hydra 52 HD and still trying things to get it lit again.

I have owned numerous Aqua Illumination products and have always loved the product, but this has me ready to trash bin the whole Aqua Illumination collection and go elsewhere for my reef tank lighting needs.

Am I being unreasonable?

ninjacorey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while it does suck. as someone who has worked on electronics b4 a bad powersupply could have fried a board. thus needed the repair. with a working psu it could be working just fine but ur psu could be bad. i bought a used 64hd it needed a psu i found a cheaper one online that AI replacement and it works just fine. if this has been your only issue i would say maybe get a cheaper supply than i can link to you the one i found. i wanna say its like 35-40$ which is roughly half what AI wants. just my 2cents.

p.s- i do hope your issue gets fixed.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Hopefully AI takes care of you. They shouldn't make you pay for more repairs when they took in your light for service.

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent the light by UPS as instructed with RMA information on the 30th of September.
October 10th, I sent another inquery about the repair
October 14th, I called and was told the light needed a driver and a WiFI board and was quoted around $200 (don't remember exactly) or I was offered a discounted Hydra 64. Happy with the 52HD I said go and repair it. paid with my credit card.
Hydra52 Connector board
Hydra52 Driver
4 AI FI lens (they were fine I had inspected them when troubleshooting)
Repair total of $271.00
So now I am $361.00 deep into an older light I had repaired

Am I being unreasonable?
Yea thats a F'd up diagnosis. If it was sent to them with the power supply, they should have caught that. I bet the light didn't need anything but the power supply. I would file a complaint with BBB. They missed diagnosed it and you paid for the service but received the same problem. Wheres quality control. Did they even test to make sure it was good?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back