AIO ,HOB for a 25 g. Is it a good idea?

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I dont know if this has been asked before but i was thinking about wanting to make a little 10 gallon sump for my IM 25 gal Lagoon tank.
-Its a "all in one" but was curious if its a good idea to stick a "hang on the back overflow" on the back of it.

-I dont want to drill it because I already have water in it and also really dont trust my self to drill into a 400 dollar tank haha.

-But Im half and half on adding a sump to the system. Thanks for reading and appreciate any feedback positive or negative! And always

HAPPY REEFING :)

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything to increase water volume, and space for equipment is a good idea in my opinion.

I agree with more water volume, im just wondering if anyone has done a sump with a AIO. Plus ive heard good and bad things about HOB overflows. What is your opinion on them?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I dont know if this has been asked before but i was thinking about wanting to make a little 10 gallon sump for my IM 25 gal Lagoon tank.
-Its a "all in one" but was curious if its a good idea to stick a "hang on the back overflow" on the back of it.

-I dont want to drill it because I already have water in it and also really dont trust my self to drill into a 400 dollar tank haha.

-But Im half and half on adding a sump to the system. Thanks for reading and appreciate any feedback positive or negative! And always

HAPPY REEFING :)
Options are siphon tube for drain with hob overflow. If air gets in, siphon is lost, stopping drain flow, but your return pump keeps going, making a mess. Then your ato starts, fu$×# up your salinity, who dies?
I am there now, no accidents yet, but seeing air in the siphon tube,
So drilling.
Don't go there unless you drill.

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Options are siphon tube for drain with hob overflow. If air gets in, siphon is lost, stopping drain flow, but your return pump keeps going, making a mess. Then your ato starts, fu$×# up your salinity, who dies?
I am there now, no accidents yet, but seeing air in the siphon tube,
So drilling.
Don't go there unless you drill.

Awesome thank you, I'll probably wait on the sump or maybe rig something up like and above tank sump or something. Might be going back to the drawing board soon haha

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you, I'll probably wait on the sump or maybe rig something up like and above tank sump or something. Might be going back to the drawing board soon haha
Above tank sump, are you crazy

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do a hob overflow, get a cpr one. They have an airline in them that can be connected to a Tom's aqualifter or a small powerhead, to keep the siphon primed.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps consider something like this thread:

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps consider something like this thread:

Just finished reading it, thank you for attaching it. Really helped answering my questions!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 82 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back