Aiptasia hopeful question

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure I have found aptasia just one so far but I am hopeful that I have nipped it in the bud and if I kill it it might be the end of it as I had already quarantined two Coral that were looking a little bit sick about a week and a half ago and last night I noticed on my hammer there was one head of aptasia which was not bought that many weeks ago so maybe it was just grown is it likely that I have beaten the problem by accident, and how long do you think it will be before I know for sure six weeks or more if don't see any can I be confident

20240425_012330.jpg

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. It's surprising how I might go several months without seeing any and then a couple show up. In fairness though I can't think of a time when that happened without coral additions.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure I have found aptasia just one so far but I am hopeful that I have nipped it in the bud and if I kill it it might be the end of it as I had already quarantined two Coral that were looking a little bit sick about a week and a half ago and last night I noticed on my hammer there was one head of aptasia which was not bought that many weeks ago so maybe it was just grown is it likely that I have beaten the problem by accident, and how long do you think it will be before I know for sure six weeks or more if don't see any can I be confident

20240425_012330.jpg
it's possible but if one or two start to pop up in random spots it's likely they are reproducing in your system and it won't be long befor they make it into you plumbing where you can't see them and then they just continually pop up, unless you have some means of predator removal they can be difficult to manually remove if they are allowed to grow to large numbers they will grow in difficult places to reach and see then they spread faster.

keep an eye on it for now and remove them as soon as you see them, I like to use kalkwasser but there are many ways to do it just make sure to do it right and not spread them around.

good luck I've had my fun with them too

OP
OP
Raideress

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's possible but if one or two start to pop up in random spots it's likely they are reproducing in your system and it won't be long befor they make it into you plumbing where you can't see them and then they just continually pop up, unless you have some means of predator removal they can be difficult to manually remove if they are allowed to grow to large numbers they will grow in difficult places to reach and see then they spread faster.

keep an eye on it for now and remove them as soon as you see them, I like to use kalkwasser but there are many ways to do it just make sure to do it right and not spread them around.

good luck I've had my fun with them too
Thanks

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I go buy berghia nudi whenever I see even one. If you see one, there are others. And any attempt to kill it, will cause it to spawn....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

20240425_012330.jpg
I would not go out and buy berghia or filefish that will either starve or file turn on coral. Keep it simple: Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back