AlexReef's 225Gallon Build Thread

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a 225 gallon tank from another R2R member and I just want to say thank you to @Mark for the beautiful tank. So I've had this tank sitting in my basement for a little over a month, when they delivered it I had them place it in my basement because I was planning on getting it finished at some point and have it setup down there. 20180811_184657.jpg
Fortunately the tank lit a fire under me and I got contractors out the very next week to start working, they just finished last week and then helped me move the tank into its final position.

20180915_1439321.jpg

I've been stockpiling parts for the past month for this setup, I decided to go with many of the same parts that Mark had on it when he had it up and running, so far I have these items:

Trigger Tideline 48" Sump
AquaMaxx ConeS CO-3 Skimmer
EcoTech Vectra L1 Return Pump
EcoTech MP40 powerhead

Fortunately @Mark also gave me his light fixture as part of the package, so I've also got an ATI Sunpower 60" 8x80w.

20180916_144742.jpg

20180916_144750.jpg

I've currently got a 90 gallon running upstairs that I will eventually be breaking down and moving its contents to this tank, I'll also be stealing the 2 MP40s running on it as well.

There is a closet behind the wall where the tank sits, my plan is to route the return pump thru the wall and into that closet and setup various valves and such so I can use it to feed various media reactors and potentially a small frag tank, this is why I went with a massive L1 return pump(3000gph) instead of just an M1 (2000gph) so I have plenty of flow to spare for anything I want to add later on.

I have a package coming this afternoon with more parts for this setup, I will post an update with that, as well as a shot of the closet and the setup I will have in there.

dgruic0712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same skimmer, I love the build quality and it’s skims some nasty stuff. Will be following along with this one [emoji106]

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same skimmer, I love the build quality and it’s skims some nasty stuff. Will be following along with this one [emoji106]
This is my first AquaMaxx skimmer, I've been using ReefOctopus on my other tank. But my Dad has an AquaMaxx on his tank and Mark had one on this tank when he had it running, so I figure its worth giving a shot. Besides that its a good bit cheaper than the ReefOctopus for this sized tank.

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I got more stuff for this build.

Apex Neptune Controller
Apex ATO
Apex Ecotech Control Module (for the powerheads and return pump)
Extra Apex Energy Bar
Two 250w Eheim Jager Heaters
Various Loc-Line Parts
20180919_165908.jpg

Here is a shot of the closet behind the tank, I've already got some more used equipment in there which I also bought from another R2R member, thanks @JJ Ocean!
20180919_165947.jpg

My plan is to have the return pump feed into this closet on the right wall and then run about 4-5 feet and then go back to the tank. I will have at least 3 separate valves setup so I can add more media reactors in the future, and then I will be building a stand for the 40 gallon tank and have it gravity feed back thru the wall into the main sump. I'm hoping the gravity drain can keep up with water flow when I have multiple reactors running, we'll have to see how it goes moving forward. The old sump in the corner will be my ATO reservoir, I've already got an RO/DI unit in the storage space behind the left hand wall that is currently feeding my ATO for my 90 gallon upstairs, so all I need to do is drill a small hole in the wall to feed my water line thru and hook it up to the float valve already on the old sump.

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update! I got kind of busy this weekend with other stuff, but I was able to spend about an hour or so working on the tank. I got the port holes cut thru the wall into the closet, I got all the drains plumbed in, and I got the return plumbed into the closet. I have to build my stand for the 40 gallon tank in the closet before I can finish the return plumbing, I'll hopefully get that done this week.

20180923_124401.jpg
20180923_124411.jpg

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update! Life has been busy, but I found time to build the stand for my 40 gallon tank and finish up the plumbing. All I need to do now is glue my joints and start doing leak tests. I should hopefully be ready to start filling this weekend. I'll order my live rock and sand in the next couple of days so I can work on my aquascape before I fill.

I'll post my aquascape ideas for input soon, I had issues with bad flow and dead zones in my 90 gallon due to poor aquascaping, so I'm looking to do a more spread out aquascape this time so that I have good flow.
20181003_114932.jpeg
20181003_114944.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got all my rock today and I've done a prelimanary mock up of my layout. I was going for 3 seperate islands with a connection bridge between the left 2. I'm gonna give it some time before I put it in the tank to be sure I really like it. This is still missing all of my live rock from my 90 gallon, so these islands will be taller when it's all said and done.

20181005_190249.jpeg

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank filled and the rock in a position I'm happy with (for the moment) and the tank is cycling.

Now I'm struggling with trying to get my apex probes calibrated correctly.
20181009_223804.jpeg

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this setup!! Great job. Looking forward to the progress

Who’s the tank manufacturer?
Also how do you like the aquamax skimmer?

I bought it used, but the original owner got it from Pure Reef here in Atlanta. I used to work for the owner of Pure Reef back about 20 years ago when he owned a different marine fish store downtown. He always has quality custom tanks, so I didn't even question it buying one of his tanks second hand. I'm not sure if the tank was special order or custom made locally, but I know the stand and top trim piece are fully custom.

I haven't run the skimmer more than an hour or so at this point, been struggling to get all my Apex probes calibrated correctly so I turned off the skimmer to make sure it wasn't causing weird readings with all the bubbles. I almost have the probes dialed in, so I'll have everything up and running here soon.

On a related note, I'm having issues with the ATI Sunpower, it appears to have a short in it, I'm assuming it happened in transit. So I'm going to get that fixed eventually and set it aside as a backup, but I'm now planning on going with the Aquatic Life Hybrid system with 4 x EcoTech Radions. I've had such great results running Radions on my 90G show and my 40G frag systems, that I'd prefer to just go with what I know. I've already got the Apex Ecotech module, so setting them up should be a breeze.

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a brief update. I haven't done a whole lot these past 5 weeks while the tank has been cycling, but I got a few items checked off my list. I finally got my water mixing station setup and running.
20181014_210626.jpg

I have this setup across the room from the tank, its a small cubby that I was initially going to convert into a closet, but after doing some measuring I realized that these vats would fit perfectly. Each vat is 100 gallons, the hose is 25ft and can reach the tank with no problem and can also reach around the corner into the closet where I have my 40Gal tank(for adding media reactors) and my top off reservoir (being fed by a smaller RODI unit). By adjusting the valves in various combinations, I can:
1. Circulate the salt water vat
2. Pump fresh water from the right vat to the left vat
3. Fill any tank, reservoir, or bucket with salt water from the hose
4. Fill any tank, reservoir, or bucket with fresh water from the hose

I also finally setup my DOS to start doing daily water changes, I ran all the tubing above the drop ceiling and the intake feeds from the salt water mixing vat and the output runs to the sink in the bathroom around the corner. I currently have it set to switch out a gallon a day, which comes out to right around 3% a week.

Also I've been acquiring more parts for the tank a little at a time as my budget allows. I've recently added 2 additional MP40s to the tank which brings me to a total of 4 power heads in the tank (3 MP40s and 1 IceCap 3k Gyre). I've been moving and adjusting the power heads trying to get flow to all corners of the tank, since I have such a major flow problem in my current 90Gal upstairs, I'm obsessed with preventing that same problem in this tank.

I've also added the Aquatic Life Hybrid T5 fixture, I will be ordering the Radions hopefully next week, at which point I'll be ready to start slowly moving everything from my 90Gal down to the new 225Gal.

Since my cycle is pretty much done, I also have an order of snails and hermits coming this weekend to slowly start building up the bio load before moving everything from my other tank.

20181103_215529.jpg

20181104_214026.jpg

Last edited:

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build! After the first few pics, and I saw a sump under the tank in a basement build a little piece of me died inside, then a few photos later I do in fact see a sump room, and that piece that died quickly came back to life ;).

Keep the pics coming, and looking forward to watching you stock it!

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! After the first few pics, and I saw a sump under the tank in a basement build a little piece of me died inside, then a few photos later I do in fact see a sump room, and that piece that died quickly came back to life ;).

Keep the pics coming, and looking forward to watching you stock it!

Oh yeah, I made sure I would have a full closet behind the tank to use as a sump room, it was a must. This past week I turned 2 of the 3 valves on in the 40Gal to see if gravity would keep the water level constant, but unfortunately it won't when there is too much flow into the tank. I now have a small 200GPH pump in there with a small hose running to the drain(I'll post pics this weekend), that I will connect to my Apex and I'm going to be ordering a couple additional optical sensors too. My plan is to set it up where if the tank gets too full (top sensor) the pump will turn on until the tank is back down to the appropriate level (bottom sensor). My plan is to eventually have a Calcium reactor, a Kalk reactor, and a Carbon/GFO reactor all running in that tank at the same time, so I need to make sure it will drain back into the main sump quickly. My goal is to have this tank be as hands off as possible.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That will be a very nice addition! I just noticed we don't live too far from each other, once you get it all setup I would like to come see it if possible?

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be a very nice addition! I just noticed we don't live too far from each other, once you get it all setup I would like to come see it if possible?

I'm sure that could be arranged at some point. Always happy to meet fellow hobbyists.

What side of town are you on?

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm working on my reactor sump and I'm getting ready to setup my Carbon/GFO reactor. Does anyone have recommendations for brand/type of media to use? I was thinking about using Seachem Seagel to get both Carbon and GFO in one shot, but I don't know if there is a better option for reactor media. Suggestions?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back