OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy.. but I'm a little disappointed! Was hoping there was more room to play with peroxide!

Well, that was half the point....just my specific example was inaccurate. ;)

I honestly don't think 10x dose will hurt anything – and increasing the intensity of the treatment as-needed is part of the treatment – so I definitely recommend doing what's needed....just go in steps. :)

Check out some of these comments...

And the method work - I have used 6 % and 12 %. And it works for Aiptasia too

12% is already 4x....maybe @Lasse will chime in and let us know the quantity he was working with as well.

been trying the spot treatments so far. 2cc per treatment in 80 gallons. The contact time of the h202 and the algae is very minimal with this method, I can see it swirling up instead of settling which i would have preferred. still, there is oxidation and bubbles forming.

after 2 days of treating 1 spot, the turf algae is thin and white. i have started to treat another area near an acro tenius, so far no ill effects.

i might bump it up to 2 treatments a day but super busy at work right now.

For some reason I had in my mind 1ml of 3% per 10 gallons per day. Ok, well that's great news. I might try upping to 5-10ml of 3% per day. That would be like 0.3-0.7 ml per gallon per day, which sounds like it's still really conservative.

You aren't wrong. :)

But I recommend going in steps for almost everything though...peroxide spot-treatments included. Try going halfway to this level first. ;)

FYI, @Paul B's Mojano Wand (he designed it, but AFAIK he doesn't make or sell it....see below) works (if memory serves me) by creating peroxide out of the water itself with a needle-electrode. Seems like it would be fun to experiment with one on a patch of algae, but I've never heard of anyone doing so.

upload_2018-6-6_10-55-40.jpeg

$140; Free shipping

(I didn't know there was a mini version too. :))

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, @Paul B's Mojano Wand (he designed it, but AFAIK he doesn't make or sell it....see below) works (if memory serves me) by creating peroxide out of the water itself with a needle-electrode. Seems like it would be fun to experiment with one on a patch of algae, but I've never heard of anyone doing so.

upload_2018-6-6_10-55-40.jpeg

$140; Free shipping

(I didn't know there was a mini version too. :))

I tried using my Majano wand on some type of stringy algae in my tank and it did not have the same “fine bubble” effect that it has when I blasted some aiptasia to hell in my last tank. However I did not wait around for a day or two to see if it actually killed it or not, I went ahead and used my large syringe and just sucked it off of the rocks. It may have in fact killed it but I don’t have any real data to show that.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a syringe with a thin needle, shout off all of my pumps and just slowly inject the 12% peroxide there I the moment before saw the Aiptasia. For the cyano - I treated a part of it slowly.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a syringe with a thin needle, shout off all of my pumps and just slowly inject the 12% peroxide there I the moment before saw the Aiptasia. For the cyano - I treated a part of it slowly.

Any ideal how many mL you might have used in a given treatment?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its was a long time ago (at least 3 years) and I´m old...…. At that time - I did not run a oxidator 24/7 but I think that I limited the use to 10 ml a day (around 90 gallons in that aquarium), I was very keen to be sure that most of it was breakdown local - injected therefore very slow.

Sincerely Lasse

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put Berghia Nudibranch in my tank a month ago and I'm waiting for them to do their thing. There are some Aptasia in the sand that I will try the peroxide on. I'm going to inject them through the mouth.

I had thousands of Aiptasia in my tank at one point. I bought three of them, put them in and never saw them again. I thought what a waste of $45. Then, a couple months later I noticed the Aiptasia disappearing. All of them. A dead efflo colony skeleton ( 6x4”) was covered in hundreds of Aiptasia alone.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3% concentration, and often stabilized with Sn. (Oddly this is not always on the label.)

We (some of us) can get "food grade" which I think starts at 30%, but is not stabilized....so the concentration is kinda unknown but expected to be "high".
@Mcarroll,

By stabilized by "Sn" do you mean Tin the metal?

Ayrity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever try this gel?

Seconded. I am trying the needle spot treating now myself and found this thread. I would love to know the results of this.

Also, has anyone used it on algae thats growing ON GSP? I have some hair algae on this ONE rock that my GSP coral is all over, and its growing off the coral. Should I spray it with the peroxide?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded. I am trying the needle spot treating now myself and found this thread. I would love to know the results of this.

Also, has anyone used it on algae thats growing ON GSP? I have some hair algae on this ONE rock that my GSP coral is all over, and its growing off the coral. Should I spray it with the peroxide?

Saw someone years ago did like a cap of peroxide + 1/2 tsp baking soda into a paste and use a syringe to lay it on algae which worked.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello sorry to bother you another member sent me in your direction iv been battling bryopis via natural means for awhile now it always comes back I don't mind the battle as its not actually hurting anything just looks bad and with what I call meds route flux etc iv found reports of that style hurting gorgonians of which is my main concern I have a purple photosynthetic gorgonian that is a frag of the one I gave a friend before my kid killed my old tank wont talk about that iv had it for almost 8 months now and it has doubled in size and am not willing to risk it I was pointed in your direction and was told you may be looking for people with bryopsis to try some methods of elimination tank as follows

1 gorge
2 flordia ricordias
3 zoas
4 palys
1 finger leather
Yellow polys
Fireworks clove polyps

A few small fish and a shrimp

Control methods
Dobrabella sea hare a few of us pass around for trimming it short
Flordia ceriths to keep it short
Lettuce slugs to kill it off (new adition)
Water changes
Trim by hand remove via micron filter pad
Blowing out the food it catches daily with a baster so its cant use that to feed off of

Background 15 years of experience reef keeping so I do know what I'm doing and it is not caused by a current nutrient problem it was caused by a fish dying in the rockwork a month or so ago short term spike that has since been corrected its always been in the tank but never had a chance to take hold controlled via nutrient export untill now( learn new stuff everyday)
Its a 32 led biocube and as stated will not try anything that will hurt the gorg but am open to suggestions and I have nothing but time so not an issue there(other then taking care of newborn) I would perfer to rid my tank of it as opposed to just suppressing it as I have always done it'll go visibly away after my current control method but the next time somthing dies I cant get out it'll be back and I'll have to start all over again this prosses which if fine gives me somthing to do lol also iv went tbe peroxide route in the past and while it does work again it's only a suppression method not elimination

Thanks for your time
Ps will send pics when the lights come back on tommarow if needed

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back