Algae eating fish for 45gal

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a fish that would fit into a 45gal(24x24x18) tank that will eat algae. I currently have 2 ocellaris clown fish, and an orange spotted goby(Amblyeleotris guttata). I wanted to add a royal grama, purple firefish, and a long nose hawkfish. I was reading that a Hector’s Goby (Koumansetta hectori) might fit, but I was looking for options on it, or another fish that might fit what I am looking for.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a good idea for the fish you wanted to add. be warned that that would probably be just under the stock limit though. For algae cleanup I would recommend a tuxedo urchin or something similar

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of algae eating blennies, I have at least 2 or 3 Florida species, you could also get sailfish mollies, they can look sharp in a tank
I've found they don't do great on rough rocks though. But I also have only 1 salt tank

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pincushion urchin. Does not seem to be eating a ton. It does not seem to go near the base of my corals.
Also planned on adding a few more snails.
get something like a tuxedo urchin. Another way to lower the levels of algae is to lower the nitrites, that's what they feed on.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is .03 and No3 is 0. I am trying to bring them up a little, but don’t want to do anything crazy yet, thank is only 3.5 months old.
then all I can say is try to add a tuxedo urchin. I know that they are REALLY good at clearing out algae

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you. You think a tuxedo and a pincushion would be ok in the tank together?
I don't think there will be a problem but maybe let someone else respond to this thread or ask someone more knowledgeable before you pull the trigger

Back