Algae Help Please!!

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I added a few more fish into my tank since the others disappeared (5 fish in the tank currently) and I’ve been feeding them once a day (brine). I’ve noticed a lot more stringy algae on my rock work and I’m not sure how to get rid of it. I’m not sure if it’s my feeding, the lights or if I need some crabs to help battle it. Any suggestions would be great!

IMG_5359.jpeg IMG_5360.jpeg IMG_5282.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ever since I added a few more fish into my tank since the others disappeared (5 fish in the tank currently) and I’ve been feeding them once a day (brine). I’ve noticed a lot more stringy algae on my rock work and I’m not sure how to get rid of it. I’m not sure if it’s my feeding, the lights or if I need some crabs to help battle it. Any suggestions would be great!

Pics a little blurry but may be derbesia algae especially if overfeeding. Need clearer pics to confirm which will need to be pulled by hand and roots removed. If not removed, will keep coming back. Pitho and emerald crabs will pick at this but it will grow faster than they can reduce it

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those pictures are blurry... But it looks like bryopsis or derbesia. Each can be removed by hand. I would recommend manual removal. The other fish you said disappeared could've jumped so check behind and around your tank. If so add a mesh top you can order some off of bulk reef supply. One last thing if the algae doesn't go away then buy some of this: here. Id recommend buying the smaller version of it.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pictures are blurry... But it looks like bryopsis or derbesia. Each can be removed by hand. I would recommend manual removal. The other fish you said disappeared could've jumped so check behind and around your tank. If so add a mesh top you can order some off of bulk reef supply. One last thing if the algae doesn't go away then buy some of this: here. Id recommend buying the smaller version of it.
By the way with the Blue life RX make sure not too use a carbon filter or it will NOT work.

OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics a little blurry but may be derbesia algae especially if overfeeding. Need clearer pics to confirm which will need to be pulled by hand and roots removed. If not removed, will keep coming back. Pitho and emerald crabs will pick at this but it will grow faster than they can reduce it
Hopefully these are a little better.

Attachments

• IMG_5415.jpeg
    IMG_5415.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5414.jpeg
    IMG_5414.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5413.jpeg
    IMG_5413.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 28

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hopefully these are a little better.
This material looks like chrysophytes and is labor work for removal. Take the rock out and place in large container with tank water.
Give the tank a good siphon and clean all filters and skimmer if you have one.
Scrub the rock with a firm toothbrush Or auto detail brush and 3% peroxide. Agitate to shake off particles and add cleaners such as Pitho crabs, chiton snails, ninja star snails and caribbean blue leg hermits to help with control and reduce white intensity a little and increase water flow. You likely have inadequate flow which allowed this to adhere to rock

OP
OP
C

chrisdafish70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This material looks like chrysophytes and is labor work for removal. Take the rock out and place in large container with tank water.
Give the tank a good siphon and clean all filters and skimmer if you have one.
Scrub the rock with a firm toothbrush Or auto detail brush and 3% peroxide. Agitate to shake off particles and add cleaners such as Pitho crabs, chiton snails, ninja star snails and caribbean blue leg hermits to help with control and reduce white intensity a little and increase water flow. You likely have inadequate flow which allowed this to adhere to rock
I just got back from my lfs with some hermit crabs. They also did a water test with auqua spin and here’s the results. They said my water is too clean

Attachments

• IMG_5421.jpeg
    IMG_5421.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 18

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back