algae reactor VS fuge VS ATS thread...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start a conversation on algae reactors vs fuge vs algae turf scrubbers in regards to nutrient control.

with all the algae reactors coming on the market and a few new ATS i think this would be a great time to talk about this.

my understanding (and it could be wrong ) is that ATS are more effect. let me explain that. inch per inch of growth an ATS will filter the water more than cheato.
yes you can get the same amount with cheato but would require more space...bigger fuge or reactor.
is that the current understanding?

are algae reactors for ppl with out a fuge space? seems like a well build reactor is just as easy as a fuge and less light spill in the sump to.

seems like the cheapest way is a fuge with DIY lighting.

I would love to hear from ppl that have used more than 1 style and why you liked it over the other.
also if you love one and it workd for you lets here about it to.

I have used ATS in the past briefly before move and enjoyed it. most likely that is the way ill go again.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried all three options and prefer a fuge as it creates a home for more creatures than just macro algae. In my fuge i have tons of pods, micro stars, peppermint shrimp, etc. I can also specifically select the type of macro algae i want in there. These features make it almost its own little display of interesting life.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried all three options and prefer a fuge as it creates a home for more creatures than just macro algae. In my fuge i have tons of pods, micro stars, peppermint shrimp, etc. I can also specifically select the type of macro algae i want in there. These features make it almost its own little display of interesting life.

that is a defendant benefit of fuges for sure. however some ppl think reactors and ATS do more for export? not sure if that is ture or not.

I have been trying to get BRS to do a ATS vs fuge for studt for years.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had long term, sustained results with a chaeto reactor? Just curious for the sake of conversation as I have read numerous accounts where the chaeto reactor initially works well, but then reaches a point where the chaeto will eventually die out and slime over. Would love to hear feedback from long term chaeto reactor users. :)

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried all three. Chaeto in the fuge was growing but hated all the pieces of it getting all over the sump and display. Only had it for a few months so cant say it reduced my nutrients. Chaeto in an algae reactor worked but it was very slow in nutrient reduction. Coralline started growing on the walls and I knew maintenance was gonna be a pain down the road. I got an ATS and it got my nitrates and phosphates very low and the decrease was much faster than the chaeto reactor. It just takes a few weeks for the algae to start growing on the screen. Once it's seeded, it'll be quick consumption of nutrients. Im still trying to dial in the right amount of photosynthesis so it doesnt completely deplete nutrients.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried all 3. Built an ATS using a 15 high aquarium with 4 inches of water filled with rubble. Lit with 2 LED grow lights from the HD. 1 on each side. Wrapped it in aluminum foil to reduce light bleed. Pods like crazy. Sally Lightfoot and some micro hermits keeping the rubble clean. It drains right next to my return pump. Herbie style. I am fortunate to have the space to do this.

I use Coral Frenzy to keep my nutrients up. Had to.

Will never use anything else.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along. Tempted to buy the Tunze MAR. I don’t have room in my sump for a good size refugium and I’m not a fan of running chaeto in an open refugium because it becomes a mess. But it’s also difficult to find long term success stories with algae reactors. So I’m not sure if they are worth it or not.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the trick is to find balance with the system you choose. I believe each has there pros and cons.

it's nice to have a talk and hear about ppl experiences.

Genec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a CW 100 on my 85. Been using it for about 3 months now. I think I’ll need more time to actually confirm anything. Btw I did remove my gfo reactor once I brought the ats online and have seen no adverse affects yet.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m an ATS guy too. I have a Turbo’s Aquatics L2 Rev4. Biggest benefit of Bud‘s scrubbers is the ability to dial in the intensity of the LEDs. There is no question that the ATS, once the screen is mature, is extremely efficient at processing nutrients. I’m actually playing with my LEDs intensity currently to slow down growth as to not over strip my tank of nutrients.

With the endcap removed so you can see it over my sump.
1FB242FE-5AAA-4EEB-BD44-3C55285EFCBE.jpeg

My latest harvest.
49244566-6551-40DF-A678-379610DFCAFA.jpeg

Last edited:

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been researching to see if ATS's can completely strip nutrients. Some say it wont completely strip..that it'll maintain a balance. At this point, it makes sense to me as the reason we all have these pest algae pop up in our tanks is because it's trying to find a balance. Others say it completely strips nutrients but I believe they're going to by what a test kit says. Cant find any info on their SPS dying or STN'ing because their ATS stripped their nutrients.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Pax Bellum Algae reactor. Been running for over a year and half. Keeps nutrients right where I want them. Key to success is dosing Fe(Iron) and Mn(Manganese) which keeps the Cheato healthy and growing. I do dose No3 at times when it brings Nitrtate down to an undetectable level. I also adjust the light schedule when I need more or less nutrient adjustment. But for the most part it's been set and forget.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond unscientific, anecdotal observations, I am unsure whether the turf algae on an ATS is more efficient than chaeto at taking up excess nutrients. I tend to think of ATS, chaeto fuge, chaeto reactor as a space thing. You probably get the biggest bang for your space (to mangle a metaphor) with the ATS, followed by chaeto reactor followed by refugium.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond unscientific, anecdotal observations, I am unsure whether the turf algae on an ATS is more efficient than chaeto at taking up excess nutrients. I tend to think of ATS, chaeto fuge, chaeto reactor as a space thing. You probably get the biggest bang for your space (to mangle a metaphor) with the ATS, followed by chaeto reactor followed by refugium.
I agree, if I had space I would go with a large fuge all day.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is pretty much my thoughts too. I wish some one really smart with the tools to study such things would go it and let us know...HAHA I would find it a very interesting study

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back