OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bud; This is somewhat a debatable issue (I have discovered). I agree with your perspective. I believe running 24/7 light indefinately is a waste of electricity at the least & possibly stressful to most algae that have evolved in 12/12 to 16/8 light/dark cycles.
But some argue that its ok to do & the algae just keeps growing. Clear Water scrubbers recommend 24/7 illumination if nutrients are high. Others run their fuges 24/7 & suggest improved growth. Its all anecdotal of course.

Thanks for pointing this one out, since I haven't done an update on this in 7 years, this is another item that falls under the axe. I as well have been running my scrubber on my personal tank 24/7 100% for a few years with no issues. Randy Holmes-Farley posted somewhere at one point that he also didn't see any negative effect in 24/7 lighting for macro (I don't believe his comment was specific for an algae scrubber).

I will throw in this: if someone thinks that saturation has something to do with duration, IMO, they're wrong. Saturation has to do with instantaneous conditions.

In the instance of photosaturation or photoinhibition, this very much has to do with intensity and nutrient availability. This issue is more prominent with LEDs due to the focused spectrum, which is generally focuses on those parts of the spectrum which cause hyper-excitation of chlorophyll (the infamous A and B peaks). So what happens is that if you have the intensity (not the duration) very high, and your nutrients are very low (or you are not delivering the nutrients fast enough) then there is an instantaneous imbalance of light-energy (excess photons) compared to the nutrients, and the algae can't do anything with that excess energy. To a certain extent, you can mitigate this with on/off cycles so there does appear to be some ability to process under excess light conditions, but I think that also depends on how much excess there is. I think there are certainly conditions where photosaturation is so extreme that nothing will grow.

The examples where the center of a screen is bare white and the extremities are full of GHA growth are prime examples of the photosaturation effect in action.

Running 24/7: yes, you can do it. In fact, if you can dim the lighting, this is the best way to operate, IMO. Find the "sweet spot" where your instantaneous intensity works with your level of nutrients, and as long as you keep feeding the fish/corals on a regular basis, you can balance the scrubber "input" (dirty tank water) with the tank "output" (waste) and run that level of illumination 24/7. It's not just for high-nutrient tanks, that would be my only add-on

I've read data that shows some macroalgae are light saturated after 16 hours, so illuminating them for a further 8 hours is a waste of electricity.
The data was over a 24 hour test only, so the effect of 24/7 illumination >>indefinately<< is not known.
It's entirely possible that running a scrubber 24/7 might actually create an environment that excludes certain types of macro algae growth. This is interesting because I hadn't really considered that before. I get pretty consistent growth on my unit that runs 24/7, both in type and volume.

it’s the blue spectrum that actually provides the “dark period” of light for the algae while growing
I'm not sure where you heard that, but if you google Otto Wartburg (warburg?) and "flashing" you'll see a study he did about 80 years ago where he determined that you can flicker the light source on and off, creating "dark" period that is 10x longer than the "light" period, and get the same photosynthetic output from chlorophyll compared to constant light. That's at something like a 1 kHz rate, and may not be a direct comparision, but the "dark" part or the cycle does require no light, AFAIK. Think of it like a 2-bucket system. Bucket 1 gets filled by photosynthesis. Bucket 1 empties into Bucket 2, which leads to a different process, but the actual emptying of Bucket 1 into Bucket 2 is the "dark cycle". So if Bucket 1 is always getting filled, that cycle doesn't work to maximum efficiency (but it still works).

Flashing studies have also been done on coral tide pools in Hawaii. So when you're in the ocean or in a pool and see those dancing lines of intensity on the floor when it's sunny - that's effectively the same as flashing, and it has a huge effect on all types of photosynthesis. I'm of the opinion that no matter what light source you're using for a scrubber, you're already doing this and you don't even know it. Like that Palmolive commercial. But I digress. The effect of the falling water acts like waves in a pool, to some extent. If you dim LEDs with PWM dimming, this might add to the effect. But there's no proof behind that, or else I would have made a big deal out of the fact that I use PWM dimming.

it allows the algae to grow thru chlorophyll A and chlorophyll B
To some extent, maybe. I'm not a biologist either but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express at some point in my life.

Here's how I understand it. Chlorophyll A is used primarily, this is the far red (660) and the hyper-violet (400-420 ish) spectra. These are "readily available" on a cloudless sunny day. But these wavelengths don't penetrate clouds or deep water very well, and they also don't penetrate atmosphere at an angle very well (i.e. sunrise/early morning and sunset/early evening) so nature has adapted the ability to use Chlorophyll B spectra under these conditions and maximize sunlight-harvesting ability under poor and/or imperfect conditions - the 630 and 440-460 spectra will penetrate clouds and water better. So A and B are just 2 ways of achieving the exact same goal. Of course, you can use Red A and Blue B and get results, probably because there isn't a switch where the cell says "ok folks, A is available so were dumping B from the process"...it uses whatever it can to survive and thrive.

Circling back to the photosaturation discussion, B more easily can cause photosaturation in our scrubbers, and this might have to do with it being artificial. This falls under the same umbrella as early-adopters of LED for displays learned - the Cool White/Royal Blue issue, where people would adjust the lighting so that everything "looked" the way it used to under halides or T5HOs, and they would smoke all their corals. That's photosaturation (of the zooanthelle).

What I'm getting at is that when you run a 630 and a 660 at the same current, the 630 will output 3 to 4 times the radiometric flux (photons). The photosaturation is almost guaranteed. In my experiments (and others) and customer feedback, the same is the case with RBs vs HVs. The Royal Blues will saturate right in front of the LED. This rarely happens with Hyper-violets.

As far as what red does and what blue/violet does, red seems primary and blue/violet seems to "enhance" growth. Again I can't claim biologist here but I call it as I see it - algae grows better with a very slight blue/violet addition into the light mix, and it does so much better with violet vs blue. Again, violet is in the A and blue is in the B, so Red A and Violet A...maybe it's nature anticipating that those two will "be coming in" together, and a man-made Red A + Blue B "works"...but it's really hamstringing the system.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only recommend the 24/7 light cycle to get the growth just started on the screen.
I find this interesting, because I recommend the exact opposite. The reason is photosaturation can more easily occur when you have a bare screen - there's not enough algae to absorb the incident light energy, but it tries to.

I recommend starting a bare screen with 9-12 hours/day for the first few weeks, then add hours progressively and work up to 24/7. If dimming is an option, alternate between adding hours and adding intensity, progressively.

The startup phase varies for everyone though, everyone has different setups and different tank conditions, and not everyone replies as to what advice worked or how well it worked...so there's that

This goes to show however, that algae scrubbers are a pretty flexible filtration system...2 different manufacturers can give nearly opposite advice and still not be steering customers down the totally incorrect path. I find that a bit humorous.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Bud.

I will throw in this: if someone thinks that saturation has something to do with duration, IMO, they're wrong. Saturation has to do with instantaneous conditions.
Yes I agree, & I understand the difference between intensity & duration

It's entirely possible that running a scrubber 24/7 might actually create an environment that excludes certain types of macro algae growth. This is interesting because I hadn't really considered that before. I get pretty consistent growth on my unit that runs 24/7, both in type and volume.
Yes, I'm specifically questioning whether the rate of photosynthesis, over a 24 hour period, is negatively affected by indefinate illumination.
Is the fixation of CO2, & thus the creation of oxygen & assimilation of inorganic nutrients & metals linear with light duration? or is there a point where the continuation of illumination is detrimental to overall production as measured in a 24 hour period, or perhaps at the least a waste of electricity?

For example; this paper states - G. persica showed optimal growth in PES medium at 24°C, 60μmol m-2 s-1 light intensity, photoperiod 12L: 12D and salinity of 39‰. But maximum branch production occurred under condition of 24°C, 20 μmol m-2 s-1 light intensity, photoperiod of 16L: 8D and salinity 39‰.

This paper states - Growth rate increased continuously up to photoperiods of 24 h light per day in L. saccharina and C. crispus, whereas daylength saturation occurred at photoperiods of more than 16 h light per day in U. lactuca and P. umbilicalis.

I'm thinking about algae respiration (Non- photo respiration in particular) in continuous illumination & the possible stress caused by inhibition of re-oxidation of the electron transporters of the photosynthetic apparatus.

This paper (which I've run past Dana & am keen for his response) states - Dark respiration (non-photo respiratory mitochondrial respiration), which occurs both in the light and in darkness, is vital for growth and survival of plants and plays a critical role in modulating the carbon balance of individual cells and whole-plants. Much of the usable energy (ATP), reducing power (e.g. NADPH and NADH) and carbon skeleton intermediates required for biosynthesis and cellular maintenance are generated by dark respiration in a regular manner.

To paraphrase >>> “it was evident that non-photo respiration during darkness was significantly and consistently higher than non-photo respiration during illumination with all three marine macroalgal species tested - Hizikia fusiformis (phaeophyta), Gracilaria lemaneiformis (Rhodophyta) and Ulva lactuca (Chlorophyta).

Perhaps I'm over thinking things Bud, but I want to know; if I increase the photo-period in a scrubber from a Light/Dark cycle of say 18L/6D, to 24L/0D, will this also increase the inorganic nutrient uptake? Or perhaps decrease the nutrient uptake?

Running 24/7: yes, you can do it. In fact, if you can dim the lighting, this is the best way to operate, IMO. Find the "sweet spot" where your instantaneous intensity works with your level of nutrients, and as long as you keep feeding the fish/corals on a regular basis, you can balance the scrubber "input" (dirty tank water) with the tank "output" (waste) and run that level of illumination 24/7. It's not just for high-nutrient tanks, that would be my only add-on

Why do you think running at an intensity to allow 24/7 illumination is the way to operate? I'm very curious about this statement.

cheers, & thanks for responding, I know your a very busy man.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I'm over thinking things Bud, but I want to know; if I increase the photo-period in a scrubber from a Light/Dark cycle of say 18L/6D, to 24L/0D, will this also increase the inorganic nutrient uptake? Or perhaps decrease the nutrient uptake?
Well...in a lab, under a microscope, that's one thing. In my tank, and countless others, I don't know that the story is actually the same.
Why do you think running at an intensity to allow 24/7 illumination is the way to operate? I'm very curious about this statement.
I'll answer this completely and utterly anecdotally since I don't have any hard data myself and have seen none from anyone else:

One day I was cleaning my scrubber. I had this set on something like 12-14 hours/day and had been running it that way for about a year, maybe more. The harvest in 14-16 days was what I considered to be pretty good, very consistent. When I put it all together, I accidentally flipped the switch on the timer to the "on" position. It nearly overflowed with growth in 10 days - something I'd never seen on an 18 day growth period, not even close.

I left it there....that was about 1.5-2 years ago, and it continues that growth pattern.

Now as far as filtration goes, not diving into the rate of nutrient absorption or anything, just speaking w/r to any kind of filtration: it makes logical sense to me that round-the-clock filtration is a good thing. Having an intermittent filtration throughout the day it probably not a bad thing though, it's more of a choice I guess. Also it could depend on the tank. I mean, most people don't shut off their skimmer unless they're in a feeding cycle.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...in a lab, under a microscope, that's one thing. In my tank, and countless others, I don't know that the story is actually the same.

I'll answer this completely and utterly anecdotally since I don't have any hard data myself and have seen none from anyone else:

One day I was cleaning my scrubber. I had this set on something like 12-14 hours/day and had been running it that way for about a year, maybe more. The harvest in 14-16 days was what I considered to be pretty good, very consistent. When I put it all together, I accidentally flipped the switch on the timer to the "on" position. It nearly overflowed with growth in 10 days - something I'd never seen on an 18 day growth period, not even close.

I left it there....that was about 1.5-2 years ago, and it continues that growth pattern.

Now as far as filtration goes, not diving into the rate of nutrient absorption or anything, just speaking w/r to any kind of filtration: it makes logical sense to me that round-the-clock filtration is a good thing. Having an intermittent filtration throughout the day it probably not a bad thing though, it's more of a choice I guess. Also it could depend on the tank. I mean, most people don't shut off their skimmer unless they're in a feeding cycle.
Thanks Bud

Mack Valentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to the site and have been reading up on ATS for a while. I built one about two months back using the lights linked at the bottom. Do you think they will be sufficient? The lights are about 5" wide and my screen is 6" wide. I have it sitting on top of my sump with the screen long enough to touch the water in the sump to cut down on noise. The lights are about 3 inches from the screen and it has been running for a little over 6 weeks. I'm getting dark slimy algae growth.

ACKE LED Grow Lights Fixtures Plant Lights 24W for Plants' Seedlings Hydroponics Green House Aeroponics Herbs Veg. Flower (SMD with switch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N47QRHV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_DnEHBbBA17K1E

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to scrubbers.

Well the first thing good about those lights, is that is has a remote power supply which keeps the 240/120 volts farther away from the water. But be sure to keep it far away.

As for the wattage, they say 24 watts so they are probably half that, and that's why you are getting dark growth. You could move them closer to the screen, or you could run them more hours, or both. But as nutrients are removed from the water, the screen will grow more green.

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming shortly... a short video of the first look at the RAIN2. You can decide what parts of it are easy for your DIY skills, and build it that way.

That amazon bulb will be pretty focused, so it will need to be 8" away or so.

This picture might help:
WhyBubbles.jpg
If this was the case then algae reactors would have air lines to add micro bubbling into the chamber which they don’t. I’ve toyed with trying this though cause in my tinkering I do find upflow to be more effective at nutrient reduction vs waterfall which seems to grow faster yet not getting same reductions ime.

Yes I’m agreeing and disagreeing at same time. This is not a requirement if it was we wouldn’t have algae issues in tanks to start with. However I’m also from my personal builds can see that for some reason not specifically this one bubble rubbing the surface do have a benefit. If I were to throw a dart blindfolded and guess I would liken it more to do with ion exchanges then gas exchanges as the gas exhale doesn’t happen till the bubble reaches the surface disturbing it. Similar to how bubble scrubbing a tank works or how skimmers work through ion exchange. Which attaches to the nutrients lifting them directly into the screen..

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"bubble rubbing the surface do have a benefit"

Yes, much increased algal growth and filtration. And it's not gas exchange, it's boundary layer removal. See Adey.

Kara82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I'm 7 months into my first reef tank and loving it. Battled high nitrate at first so very quickly came across algae scrubbers in my research. I'm in Australia, and can't stomach paying over $100 Just for postage for a ready made one, so I rigged up a diy as per turbo's guidelines. Started out with Pc's, recently changed to a daylight led floodlights. Since then, although gha growth improved, red cyano has bloomed out of control. It started on the screen, spread through the sump, but is now in my main display also. Obviously I still have the nutrients to feed it, however I'm guessing a lot of my problems are being caused by my light being in the wrong spectrum, so i am trying to find a suitable grow led available here in Aus. Would this be any good?

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B071XHQQWF/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_n.kBDb368RNF3

Red leds: 117pcs; Blue leds: 52pcs
Size:276*276*14mm
Weight: 0.95KG
Spectrum Ratio: 2.25:1 red to blue
Actual power:25.2 watt

I appreciate your assistance!

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started out with Pc's, recently changed to a daylight led floodlights.
Do you have any pictures of your setup? If you can, take with an overall view (of tank/sump), overall of sump area, then a bunch showing all your various parts of the scrubber build. Then of course, pics of the problem areas.

Also, specs on your scrubber (L x H, lights, photoperiod, distance, GPH delivered, etc)

It's odd to have anything "spread" from the scrubber, but not impossible. "daylight", if that means 5000-6500K lighting, that is generally the wrong spectrum to you. Those ones you linked to would be better

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would any of the pro’s care to watch and comment on this reactor to scrubber conversion attempt?

Thanks, Mike

Kara82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of your setup? If you can, take with an overall view (of tank/sump), overall of sump area, then a bunch showing all your various parts of the scrubber build. Then of course, pics of the problem areas.

Also, specs on your scrubber (L x H, lights, photoperiod, distance, GPH delivered, etc)

Thanks for your reply!

My specs are as follows:

Screen size 7.5 x 7.5 in (it has extra length to take it to the water level to quieten it but light is mostly directional on the area i listed only)

GPH averages 28 per inch of screen length (208Gph average total delivery from downpipe)

Light is a 15 watt led floodlights, spectrum 5700K

Light hangs parallel to the screen at a distance of 4.5 inches.

Scrubber light is on reverse photoperiod, from 5.30pm til 8.30am, so 15 hours.

Benefits so far: ph has stabilised at 8.3 instead of 7.8, and nitrates have reduced slowly from regular readings of 40-60 before water change, to 10-20 with no water changes despite daily feedings of all lps and fish. So it's doing it's job, I just feel it could be improved. And I would really like to get rid of the red slime!

Photos:
20190904_171326.jpg

20190904_171336.jpg
20190904_171349.jpg

Back half of screen was just scraped yesterday, am alternating halves every 3 to 4 days. I regularly clean the red slime off the gha or it totally coats it
20190904_171356.jpg

This section of sump under the scrubber was just cleaned yesterday, but red slime already advancing again
20190904_171540.jpg

Duncan's totally covered in cyano. Also note sand bed in the background. Rocks also get covered, I blow it off everyday when I feed the fish. I also have a brown slime starting up in the substrate, which bubbles profusely - dinoflagellates? No photo of that sorry as just vacuumed the sand.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kara82 I see a couple things - overall, good build.

1) light spectrum is not "ideal" but it seems to be working. I would have recommeded either warm white or a grow light (deep red + deep violet/blue) but like I said - whatever works...

2) you have nothing blocking the light so that it's restricted to lighting only the scrubber, so the excess is flooding the sump with light that it wouldn't otherwise get. A lot of the cyano growth in the sump could be due to that.

3) since your scrubber is single-sided, that does cut the capacity of the scrubber in half, or more. The backside will not get much growth, that is expected.

4) supplying the scrubber directly off the overflow pipe is not a big problem, but you will definitely want to mitigate overflow of the tank. Some kind of protection on the drain inlet on the tank is a must, you can't let anything get down the pipe and snag on the screen. Clogging of the slot/screen interface is a concern, usually the pressure will prevent algae from growing to the point of blockage, but it's best to have something to block the light so mitigate that

5) you're eventually going to have a streamer when the algae grows into the slot/screen junction point, which means water on the floor. See above for the light blocker (which can also be a spray blocker). You can also end up with water creeping along the pipe. In your case, the end cap and the elbow. The elbow looks like it's over the sump, so no problem. The end cap looks like it might extend over the front rim of the sump. Easy fix: take a zip-tie, then cut a piece of airline tubing 2" long, snake the zip tie through the hose, cinch that down over the end cap such that any water that skirts along the underside of the end cap hits the tubing and drips down into the sump.

As far as cyano/dinos in the tank go, there can be many reasons for these. It could be age of the tank, and a part of the natural cycle of breaking in a reef tank (which is about 6-12 months). It could be the shifting of the set-point of the tank, after adding the scrubber. Changing rock structure (flipping, moving) or flow patterns can induce a mini-cycle of sorts, bacterial colonies re-arranging, etc, that can spawn a dino outbreak. The algae scrubber appears to be pulling your nutrients down, which means they were elevated for a while I'm guessing - this could mean your rock has some built-up nutrients, and these are now starting to get liberated. Your tank has water flow & light, add these to the nutrients coming out of the system and those are good conditions for algae growth. So that could be happening, and may only last a few weeks or could last a few months, depending on the condition of your rocks (i.e. how old they are, where you got them, etc)

Cyano can fix its own nitrogen, so it is typically the last thing a scrubber beats out. It's a sign that something is out of balance, that's usually when algae or cyano tend to pop up. Once things start to stabilize, these usually clear up.

A little history on your system/contents might help, fill us in on that part as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back