Algae scrubber, co2 crubber, gfo wich one

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So need help to see if I should use all 3 at the same time or just use one or two and instead of using gfo use carbon? I have all 3 of them but don't know the perfect combo

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1708537399905.png

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm…. They are tools to achieve certain outcomes.
GFO - is used to reduce elevated PO4 but it will also reduce your trace elements. Also it should be used carefully or it will strip PO4 and trace elements and corals will be stressed. I used it, due to its efficiency it stripped my PO4 and I ended with dead corals. I don’t use it these days.

CO2 scrubber- is used to remove CO2 from air entering skimmer. It is used to raise pH in the reef tank. It works well, the media can get expensive. IMO not useful at the beginning but useful during winter months when windows are closed and reef tank pH is on the low end. I use it during winter.

Algae scrubber- Used to reduce NO3, it will reduce PO4 a bit and it can raise pH. It will consume trace elements and directly competes with corals so you need to master growing corals and algae at the same time. I never tried this.

Just for reference for filtration I only use skimmer and GAC (2.5 tablespoons per 60 gal changed every 4 weeks). I don’t use GFO, fuge, algae scrubber, fleece, socks etc…

But I do use the most important filter, corals:
1716088045840.jpeg

1716088075037.jpeg

Good luck,

Back