Algae scrubber what watt?

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

building an acrylic algae turf scrubber and was wondering if 2 x 600w led grow lights would be enough? They’re 310mm x 210mm in size and 6000k is that enough to grow algae?

Duzzy

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOt sure how big your grow area is, but I think that much wattage is going to burn the weed (algae) onto the growing material? If you have the light, give it a try, especially if you can dial back the wattage.

I used 60 incandescent bulbs to grow algae before, 600 seems like a lot of power.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

building an acrylic algae turf scrubber and was wondering if 2 x 600w led grow lights would be enough? They’re 310mm x 210mm in size and 6000k is that enough to grow algae?

Duzzy

Are those wishful watts or actual watts (cheap lamps will be massively overstated in actual output and input)? Is your algae scrubber about 20ft X 20ft?

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those wishful watts or actual watts (cheap lamps will be massively overstated in actual output and input)? Is your algae scrubber about 20ft X 20ft?
No to be honest I’ve started researching today and typed in full spectrum grow lights that "looked" similar to those used on the professional scrubbers. And grow surface no bigger that 250mm x 300mm

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOt sure how big your grow area is, but I think that much wattage is going to burn the weed (algae) onto the growing material? If you have the light, give it a try, especially if you can dial back the wattage.

I used 60 incandescent bulbs to grow algae before, 600 seems like a lot of power.
Hence why I asked. I googled grow lights and chose similar looki lights to the scrubbers you buy.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely will work, but that’s going to run a pretty large algae growth setup.

As to my original sarcastic comment, 600W of actual LED power is over 2x the power I put into my whole 90g for SPS growth. And I don’t even use lenses so there is loss. That’s a ton of power, which either means you have a giant scrubber in a warehouse, or the numbers are an outright fabrication.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back