Algae Scrubbers: Do they really reduce algae?

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good new! Found one of the last few clearwater branded scrubbers back in stock at an online store, so grabbed one. Arrived this afternoon and installed it on my lunch break. Very pleased with the build quality! "Seeded" it with some hair algae I pulled from my display in hopes of speeding up the initial phase of getting things going.

IMG_8885.jpeg

IMG_8884.jpeg

booker1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good new! Found one of the last few clearwater branded scrubbers back in stock at an online store, so grabbed one. Arrived this afternoon and installed it on my lunch break. Very pleased with the build quality! "Seeded" it with some hair algae I pulled from my display in hopes of speeding up the initial phase of getting things going.

IMG_8885.jpeg

IMG_8884.jpeg
How have been things going on your new algae scrubber I'm considering the same upgrade. Thanks for any info you can provide!

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have been things going on your new algae scrubber I'm considering the same upgrade. Thanks for any info you can provide!
It's been setup for about 3-4 weeks, so it's just now starting to get past the "slime" stage and starting to grow some green turf algae. Not enough to affect nutrient levels yet though. It takes a bit for the algae scrubbers to take off and get going with lots of thick algae. I was actually panning to make a post with a pic of it today cause I'm wondering if I should scrape it yet, or just let it keep going till it's actually completely covered.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS are great and I used one for a few years. If a skimmer and ats were my only options I would use the ATS. I still have a clearwater setting on my shelf in case my new setup needs additional help. You will not see much of a ph difference compared to a skimmer. You might see a slight improvement. The algae has direct access to the co2 in the air and that gives an ATS an advantage over a refugium for nutriet export. I use a refugium over an ATS for other reasons. I would definitely do an icp test within a month and a second 2 months later. It will remove minerals that your corals need. Specifically magnesium, lithium, manganese, iron, and iodine. The second test will give you a baseline of mineral consumption. Then you will know how much you need to add. You may find that the other things you are adding are replacing the minerals at an acceptable level. Water changes, 2 part , kalk, food, etc. I would rather know than not know.

When I was using mine I scraped one side and left the other. Then alternated scraping one side each time. This may not have been needed but as my wife says I have to over engineer everything. This was not needed but I felt it would give the system more consistency. From memory I waited until the screen was full of thick GHA before scraping it. Probably 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 122 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back