AlgaeBarn is nice but...

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from Algaebarn and I've ordered from PodYourReef and from a few others. I'd have to say that AlgaeBarn's customer service is nice and honestly the people over there try hard, at least their customer service team does. They answer emails swiftly and friendly and I'm sure they are just regular people just like you and me just working every day. They are kind enough to offer many replacements, even if the package is a day or two late.. the Pods are always fine if its a day or two late anyway but I had ordered other things like Macro that start to die off without sufficient nutrients.

That being said I've been very disappointed in the way that they seem to ship and run things. I've read here that around 2017-2019 it was wonderful, but in 2021, every package I receive has been late, every single one. Sometimes my order was lost, and replaced, twice. They were kind enough to keep sending replacement.. each time was late 2-4 days. I get they try to accommodate losses with complimentary orders, but I mean I tried to give them another chance this Sunday for an order for two day shipping and just found out it won't even ship out for another week, I had to email them about it. They said it was because of their supplier, but with shipping delays and more shipping delays, I'm starting to lose faith. It's very shiny and colorful on their website and they customer service team is great, but I'm worried about their timeliness and reliability for keeping my things on par.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from Algaebarn and I've ordered from PodYourReef and from a few others. I'd have to say that AlgaeBarn's customer service is nice and honestly the people over there try hard, at least their customer service team does. They answer emails swiftly and friendly and I'm sure they are just regular people just like you and me just working every day. They are kind enough to offer many replacements, even if the package is a day or two late.. the Pods are always fine if its a day or two late anyway but I had ordered other things like Macro that start to die off without sufficient nutrients.

That being said I've been very disappointed in the way that they seem to ship and run things. I've read here that around 2017-2019 it was wonderful, but in 2021, every package I receive has been late, every single one. Sometimes my order was lost, and replaced, twice. They were kind enough to keep sending replacement.. each time was late 2-4 days. I get they try to accommodate losses with complimentary orders, but I mean I tried to give them another chance this Sunday for an order for two day shipping and just found out it won't even ship out for another week, I had to email them about it. They said it was because of their supplier, but with shipping delays and more shipping delays, I'm starting to lose faith. It's very shiny and colorful on their website and they customer service team is great, but I'm worried about their timeliness and reliability for keeping my things on par.
This is across the board with shipping companies delaying packages. I wouldn't place blame on algae barn.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order with them and it shipped Monday and came today. I think I placed it Thursday or Friday but overall I was pretty happy. It’s possible covid is impacting the frequency of their pick ups

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is across the board with shipping companies delaying packages. I wouldn't place blame on algae barn.
I get that. I would also like to say that I've flat out gotten faster packages that weren't late ordered at the same time lately from other companies further way.

Like I said they are very nice people that work hard, just a bit bummed.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn is probably under the same covid problems as everyone else. I'd rather wait for a good product than get a sub par one quickly.

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order with them and it shipped Monday and came today. I think I placed it Thursday or Friday but overall I was pretty happy. It’s possible covid is impacting the frequency of their pick ups
I emailed them, and asked why I hadn't received my package or tracking from my order Sunday. They said that it was because BIOTA was late on their delivery to them (their supplier of Mandarins) but I had to email them to ask why, and they said they just found that out that day that the supplier was late (but that was the day I was supposed to GET the package...) So they were late already. I'm just saying. I'm not here to bash them I've said nice things about them, I am just bantering. I am very pleased with their customer service. I've just gotten the short end of the stick a few times, in a row.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them, and asked why I hadn't received my package or tracking from my order Sunday. They said that it was because BIOTA was late on their delivery to them (their supplier of Mandarins) but I had to email them to ask why, and they said they just found that out that day that the supplier was late (but that was the day I was supposed to GET the package...) So they were late already. I'm just saying. I'm not here to bash them I've said nice things about them, I am just bantering. I am very pleased with their customer service. I've just gotten the short end of the stick a few times, in a row.
Yeah I totally get that. It would probably frustrate me too. I’ve made a few purchases from other places and had the same thing happen. As long as they supply a good product I don’t mind an extra few days of waiting

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn is probably under the same covid problems as everyone else. I'd rather wait for a good product than get a sub par one quickly.
I live in the Desert.. sometimes online orders are my only option. Unfortunately waiting a few weeks or so to feed my dragonet pods can make him thinner as he is good at eating them. I don't add pods for fun, my little guy eats them. Pod Your Reef has been great with shipping. I'm just comparing and contrasting a bit. I am mainly talking to suggest some kind of changeup somehow, because it's been late for me a few times and sometimes without warning or knowledge, which makes me bite my fingernails a bit.

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Desert.. sometimes online orders are my only option. Unfortunately waiting a few weeks or so to feed my dragonet pods can make him thinner as he is good at eating them. I don't add pods for fun, my little guy eats them. Pod Your Reef has been great with shipping. I'm just comparing and contrasting a bit. I am mainly talking to suggest some kind of changeup somehow, because it's been late for me a few times and sometimes without warning or knowledge, which makes me bite my fingernails a bit.
How big of a tank? I haven't added pods in over a year and my mandarin is my fattest fish.

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank? I haven't added pods in over a year and my mandarin is my fattest fish.
20 gallon nano, so he's goot at finding them. He's very healthy, and getting a little fat. About 15-20lbs live rock. He's medium sized. Just him and 2 ocellaris clowns (1.5 inch juvies).

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, got ya. Probably hard to keep one in a tank that size. I would see if you could just set up a subscription

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason he's doing well, is actually because of all of the AlgaeBarn replacement orders.. They sent out way too much I was like "are you not losing money?" but they kept resending them (though they were late, the orders were concerning macro more less than pods, the macro didn't make it) When I first got him, I didn't know about how much pods they eat, and he was skin and bones with his rib cage showing when I got him so I took him home and try to give him the best life. He's not obese, but he's way healthier than when I got him.

dragonet.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there- We appreciate the nice things you had to say about us:)! We do apologize that we were not initially aware of Biota's stocking issue of mandarins at the time. We are definitely working on getting better communication from/with them so that we can prevent things like this from happening in the future. We do only ship Monday-Wednesday so that in case there is a bit of delay orders aren't hopefully sitting at a warehouse or in a truck on Sundays. We are doing our best to make sure everyone is taken care of despite the delays from the artic storms that recently effected most of our shipments and turn around times.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I gave up on them. Like you said, a few years ago they were great, but now they cant keep up with orders. I have put to notify me when they get things and I never get an email. Not to mention they are always sold out of everything. Not worth the time.

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there- We appreciate the nice things you had to say about us:)! We do apologize that we were not initially aware of Biota's stocking issue of mandarins at the time. We are definitely working on getting better communication from/with them so that we can prevent things like this from happening in the future. We do only ship Monday-Wednesday so that in case there is a bit of delay orders aren't hopefully sitting at a warehouse or in a truck on Sundays. We are doing our best to make sure everyone is taken care of despite the delays from the artic storms that recently effected most of our shipments and turn around times.
I think my thing was that my mandarin was supposed to ARRIVE today, meaning it was supposed to be shipped Monday-Tuesday for Wednesday. Today is Wednesday and I found out that you said you just got word today that the shipment from BIOTA was late, so either way I think it was unfortunately late since two days ago, when you had no mandarins I could have had word. You found out BIOTA was late on your shipment two days after it was supposed to already have been shipped.. I appreciate your quick responses and customer service team. You do work hard.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do the Mandarins ordered via Algaebarn not ship directly from Biota?

It might not be a case of them not telling you about the stock levels, they might not have known as I believe they don't actually stock them.

That would explain their comment about improving communication between Algaebarn and Biota.

OP
OP
JonnyTorch

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the Mandarins ordered via Algaebarn not ship directly from Biota?

It might not be a case of them not telling you about the stock levels, they might not have known as I believe they don't actually stock them.

That would explain their comment about improving communication between Algaebarn and Biota.
I am unaware, but that would be an explanation. Good thoughts.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 141 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back