AlgaeFix

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Has anyone used this product? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4098

I have two small favia frags that are being over grown by bryopsis algae. The frags were only about 3 heads to begin with, and now one only has two and the other only has one. I've been picking the algae off with tweezers, but it grows back really quickly. I finally covered one of the frag's skeleton with super glue gel to kill the algae. It's worked so far, but the coral did not like the gel touching it and receded even more.

I don't really have an algae problem in my tank. A few turfs of bryopsis here and there, but my nitrates are usually 0-2 and my phosphates are always undetectable. I'm going to add a carbon/phosphate dual reactor soon. Maybe that will help, but it might take too long.

But I was just wondering if anyone has used this or any other algaecide successfully with corals. I would be treating them out of the tank of course, but I'm not even sure if this stuff could kill bryopsis. I need to do something soon or the corals are going to die.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have slowly raised their magnesium levels to kill off nuisance algae. I believe it was bryopsis algae, too.

adamfajge

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it once it did nothing for bryopsis. I took out 2 main rocks and scrubbed them then boiled the rock and the remaining bryopsis eventually died with less feeding.

kitten0304

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used it before you should add an air stone to the tank or sump to replace the oxygen the algeafix will be removing from the tank, dose in the am as your 02 is higher than in the evening. But i have been told if you can isolate a emerald crab with the bropsis they will eat it, never tried but you might want try before adding chemicals to the tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 39.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 78 53.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back