Algal Filtration In Reef Aquariums

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry wrong choice of words.
Im not doubting your honesty. To me it seems like everyone has an opinion/experience on the subject if you look up solutions for combating cyano. Nothing personal towards you.
No worries.
What I left out of my post you quoted was the proliferation of coralline algae that began after the scrubber screen had matured.
this is my bare bottom,,, no cyano

upload_2018-8-11_8-58-23.png

Jason_1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well I put a quick diy one in last night. Not the best looking set up. Needs improvement. But hopefully i see some results.

Jason_1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Cheap led light i once had over the tank. Cheap flimsy air stone an some plastic that i roughed up.
The container isnt exactly cut perfect but has 4 holes in the bottom.
If you want more pics let me know. If you think there is a cost effective way i can improve from this let me know.
Hopefully ill see something growing by the end of the week. If not ill assume this isnt working.
20180811_101024.jpeg

Jason_1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is with lights on....
Ill probably run this 24/7 till i see something.
1534050676102.jpeg

Jason_1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah i roughed it up a little bit. An no a mayjority of bubbles are stuck on or going through the screen.

Jason_1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It is between screens. My reasoning is cause i want to make sure while im trying to get this started i want as much surface area as possible. Then once i see something starting on either screen id take one out. That might be flawed logic.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So this is the first time I cleaned out my skinz algae reactor. I started with a golf ball size peace of chateo. I pulled all this out and put another little ball to see what happens. Is this good growth? Is this what it’s supposed to do or grow?
390c4615fb30633a4ac154aeb176aa64.jpg

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, it is supposed to grow chaeto. The green slime is hair algae out-competing the chaeto. And the brown is either brown algae doing the same, or it's detritus caught up and causing the chaeto to be shaded die.

You need to harvest and/or clean the chaeto more frequently to get get it's filtration function. Leaving it in there so long to rot is just putting nutrients back into the water (nutrients being ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, co2; not amino acids). Chaeto needs to grow a very big size (compared to scrubbers) in order to do the required filtering.

Jason_1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the santa monica algae scrubbers? Thinking of getting the .5 one.
Besides that id love to see pics of someone else's custom diy scrubber.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, it is supposed to grow chaeto. The green slime is hair algae out-competing the chaeto. And the brown is either brown algae doing the same, or it's detritus caught up and causing the chaeto to be shaded die.

You need to harvest and/or clean the chaeto more frequently to get get it's filtration function. Leaving it in there so long to rot is just putting nutrients back into the water (nutrients being ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, co2; not amino acids). Chaeto needs to grow a very big size (compared to scrubbers) in order to do the required filtering.

Thanks so much for this information! So cleaning it out once a week or every other week should take care of the hair algae or limit it.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How deep should the water be on top of the mesh in a river style scrubber? I saw 2cm total depth but just wanted a little more info on that. If it's too shallow does it limit growth? Just wondering optimal for growth and conserving alk.
Great threat, thanks!
Todd

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ah, okay, thanks. It's barely on top of it and maybe 1/3" running under. It's running strong.

I think I read where you said to turn the light off for 2 hours per day. Do you still suggest this?
Thanks!

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
So after moving my light about 4 inches away from the screen, and added more flow, this is what I got. What else am I doing wrong. :( LOL

IMG_6488.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back