Algea.... i think

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have some light bronwish i think algea on the rock, it blows away when i use a turkey baster on it, and i just set up a phos rex will this dissapear in a weak or two, or is this not a algea?

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be cyanobacteria (red slime algae). It easily blows away with a turkey baster. How old is the tank, and do you have a pic?

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no it's not cyano, the tank is prob about 2 months old but thriving very well. To be honest i though it was diatoms, know how do i get rid of them or is it jt the wait game and blow off when i can?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a normal part of the maturing process and will eventually go away. One thing you can do to help reduce them is use RO/DI water so you don't introduce things like silicates and phosphates.

reefer357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms usually happen with newer tanks and usually they will go away by themselves.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a common issue with new tanks. Be patient and it will probably right itself.

Where is the Pine Hill you live in? Not in Alabama by any chance?

bluebeltreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea id just be patient. my turbos love to eat diatoms! when my tank hit the 3 month mark, thats wheni stopped having diatom issues.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not cyanao, i no for shore i belive its diotoms. My tank is with in the 2-3 month mark with all sps and lps thriving fine.

ihavtats29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just because you tank is 2-3 months running does not mean its not cyano, lps thrive in higher nutrent water, and sps will do fine , diatoms are the first algea to show in a new tank then changing in to a stage of hair algea or cyano, what ever you have we cannot id with out a photo , also a list of water parims will be helpfull , leave lights off for a 2-3 days and check your phosphates and nitrate levels! are you using RO/DI ? if not that will be a contributer to your problem, good luck with your issue

colbrunn123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you keep you filter clean.I had a bad case of the brown squirts in my tank.Found my filters where dirty.That was a long time ago.Heck i don't even use filters now.I let mother nature do the work.LOL

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back