Algea ID - Red Corraline?

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wondering what this Algea is for a while now, it only seems to grow on the overflow in my tank.
Initially i though maybe Cyano, but its almost encrusting onto the overflow, like i have to scrape it off with a Razor Blade to remove it. Besides the rest of the tank is very clean, and there is none on the sand at all.
Its quite different to the Corraline that is growing on the rear glass and on parts of the overflow also.

I'm wondering if its maybe a Red Corraline?

IMG-9005.jpg

IMG-9006.jpg
IMG-9007.jpg

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks nice to me also. Is this on the 220G new build. I also saw that you collected some live rock. Neat that you can do that.
This is in my existing 120G tank, so its going to be shut down in the next few months anyway.

I've been collecting it from people shutting down tanks and picking it up when its going cheap.
There are some places i could get it from where i live in AUS, but we are not really tropical so very little area's with coral etc. (I do know of a few though).

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wondering what this Algea is for a while now, it only seems to grow on the overflow in my tank.
Initially i though maybe Cyano, but its almost encrusting onto the overflow, like i have to scrape it off with a Razor Blade to remove it. Besides the rest of the tank is very clean, and there is none on the sand at all.
Its quite different to the Corraline that is growing on the rear glass and on parts of the overflow also.

I'm wondering if its maybe a Red Corraline?

IMG-9005.jpg

IMG-9006.jpg
IMG-9007.jpg
It looks to me like dinoflagellates.

Curious what your nutrients are?

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like dinoflagellates.

Curious what your nutrients are?
Def not Dino's, had them and this is very different!

PH- 8.2
Nitrate - 26.7
Alk - 9.3
Cal - 542
Mg - 1300
Phosphate - 0.06
Temp - 25°
SG - 35

My Nitrate and Phosphate are a little high at the moment, but i have a pretty high bio-load at the moment as i am housing more fish than i was planning in this tank (swapping over to a larger tank soon).
When i had Dino's a few months back, these were both at Zero, and everything is thriving at the moment, coral is growing like crazy and sand is clean.

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it weren't on the overflow, I don't think a razor blade would be required. It doesn't look calcareous to me.

A sample under a microscope will tell us what it is.
Its on parts of the glass around the overflow also...and i can promise it will only come off with a blade...:rolleyes:

My son does have a microscope so will have a look, but considering it will come off as a large flake it probably wont show much.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its on parts of the glass around the overflow also...and i can promise it will only come off with a blade...:rolleyes:

My son does have a microscope so will have a look, but considering it will come off as a large flake it probably wont show much.
Yeah, not sure where the "dinos" talk is coming from at all.

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it weren't on the overflow, I don't think a razor blade would be required. It doesn't look calcareous to me.

A sample under a microscope will tell us what it is.
Pic under microscope :)
Was glad to see plenty of phytoplankton at the same time!

Attachments

• IMG-9012.jpg
    IMG-9012.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-9013.jpg
    IMG-9013.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 32

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back