Algea on sps and rtning

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so i bought a wild coral a manca. Knowing it ws wild i thought the best thing would to give it a nice nuke bath so i did. the first day in the tank it slime like no other. The second day it devoloped this algea, now thehird day it rtn'd over night. Nowits this algea on it at my yellow tan is picking off is ther anything i should do or let it ride out, all my polyps are out all other sps has pe, now my ph are still in most the day but i still think there acclamating to the light, i herd they take a bit. now what do you think i should do with this acro?

IMG_6100.jpg

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry or the spelling mistakes, my iphone is being dumb.

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it RTN'd that means it's dead and should be removed. If it's still alive, it didn't RTN.

That looks to be some sort of deepwater acro. They do NOT tolerate dips well especially Revive. If you've got some dead areas around the base I would frag the living branches off to try and save them. Place the coral in moderate light and moderate flow (make sure it's indirect flow) until it starts to look better.

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what TonyB said. I would add that if I ever see dead tips on my acro that soon have Algae on them it is usually due to higher than acceptable Phosphate levels. That might be something to check also.

Good luck

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk will tend to burn the tips as well. He seems to have algae well below the tips and he mentioned RTN so unfortunately I think it's too late. I've also found that if a coral is getting too much direct flow the flesh can be blown off and algae will take it's place.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have a slightly high p04, im running gfo im going to increase my amount this week. My parameters are all normal

cal 475
alk.9.5
mag 1400

There where a few tips that where dead, so i chopped them off. There is one or two branches that had a polyp out if thats good.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more saggestions?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back