Alk issue

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through several posts and seem a variety of answers, but opted to start a thread because this is a forum, and each tank is different.
I have slightly neglected testing lately, but not the tank by any means. Today was the day I decided it was time to get back into that rhythm. My alk is fairly low, cal and mag high. Phos is pretty high as well.
Nuvo 20
4 fish
Clean up crew
SG 1.026
Nit 5
Phos .9
Alk 6.4
Mag 1600
Cal 530
PH 8.0
I lightly feed daily one of either; mysis, brine, rods reef, rods coral. I do not nor have I ever dosed anything. I do run an IceCap C02 scrubber on my skimmer. Tank is 1 year old, solid coraline growth beginning to take over the back wall and wave maker. Only coral issues lately is I have zero luck with SPS, and a finicky frogspawn has closed up recently most likely due to the swings in parameters.
I was looking at either soda ash, Seachem reef carbonate, or Brightwell’s A and B (mostly just the B). Prior to the lack of testing, my alk would stick around 8.2-8.4. I mentioned that I never dosed and still do weekly 5g water changes so I’m not sure why the massive change in alkalinity without a change in Calcium. The phosphates used to sit around .05-.09. I tested 3x with my Hanna to be as sure as I could on that result.
Thoughts? Current Full tank shot for reference.
BCB20067-04C2-41C0-87FB-D2E4A2AF5B1E.jpeg

OP
OP
SchrutesReefs

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so my question is.. how do I attack this when I can’t cut back on dosing since I don’t do any. Switch to non reef salt? Mix the 2 salts? I would not say that I have great coral growth, but there is def growth on softies and lps over the last 6mo.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag that hi is not an issue at all. If you do regular water changes using Red Sea red label it has higher alk than most. When calcium goes up alk tends to go down and vice verse. Since you don’t dose either bring down your calcium or bring up your alk with a salt better suited to your needs. You could bring up your alk by dosing baking soda or something once in a while, but that’s not a good long term solution .
Hope this helps

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’d Dose nitrates to lower phos and dose alkalinity to bring down calcium.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’d Dose nitrates to lower phos and dose alkalinity to bring down calcium.
Good point, except ime if you don’t have enough nitrate phosphate will climb. Nitrate at 5 should be plenty as far as phosphate. A scrubber will reduce nitrate to phosphate at around a 4 to 1 ratio. Maybe a shorter light cycle on scrubber and more water change a better approach till things level off

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into that now. Hoping to get eveything leveled out as “naturally” as possible.

You are far from nitrate limited i dont see adding nitrates doing anything to lower your phosphates.

As for the rest i would not be concerned at all about mg level. The calcium is a bit high but again i would not be concerned. I would just start dosing a bit of alk and see how it goes.

The phosphate i would use lanthium chloride or gfo and slowly bring it down

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into that now. Hoping to get eveything leveled out as “naturally” as possible.
I’ve just started to get my tank in order nutrient wise. I too let the testing get away from me.
Good point, except ime if you don’t have enough nitrate phosphate will climb. Nitrate at 5 should be plenty as far as phosphate. A scrubber will reduce nitrate to phosphate at around a 4 to 1 ratio. Maybe a shorter light cycle on scrubber and more water change a better approach
I’m by far no expert but i think my approach would be to check what daily consumption of nitrates are and dose to maintain the current level of 5ppm he has and naturally the phos will drop. From what I understand if OP doses alk and keeps an eye on calcium that too will naturally drop to desired levels.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just started to get my tank in order nutrient wise. I too let the testing get away from me.

I’m by far no expert but i think my approach would be to check what daily consumption of nitrates are and dose to maintain the current level of 5ppm he has and naturally the phos will drop. From what I understand if OP doses alk and keeps an eye on calcium that too will naturally drop to desired levels.
I’m no expert neither. But ime when cal goes up alk goes down and vise verse. And when you don’t have enough nitrate phosphate will climb is about as connected nitrates and phos are. Would think nitrates at 5 is plenty, althou going up some wouldn’t hurt anything

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert neither. But ime when cal goes up alk goes down and vise verse. And when you don’t have enough nitrate phosphate will climb is about as connected nitrates and phos are. Would think nitrates at 5 is plenty, althou going up some wouldn’t hurt anything
Im currently tryna find my sweet spot too but 5ppm on nitrate is a pretty good level so I think if that’s maintained phos will go down to desired levels provided that the feeding schedule remains consistent.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so my question is.. how do I attack this when I can’t cut back on dosing since I don’t do any. Switch to non reef salt? Mix the 2 salts? I would not say that I have great coral growth, but there is def growth on softies and lps over the last 6mo.

The simplest answer is often the best. Several larger water changes over the next couple of weeks with a quality salt that matches your target parameters and GAC. Up to 30% every couple days. This will ensure a steady and slow change...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 76 29.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back