Alk swung

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my iPhone its the face palm emoji
Oh, I understand now. The only emojis that show properly on here are the ones from this site.

Click the three dots, then the face.

Screenshot_20230113-212555.png

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh now that makes sense haha
Ok so first thing you do tomorrow is to get a new Alk test from either Salifert, Red Sea, AquaForset or Tropic Marin and test again.

I also suggest getting new salt with lower element values such as the blue bucket from Red Sea for your upcoming water changes, this will make it easier for you to lower alk in the upcoming weeks.
Update I tested with Hanna again this morning when I got up and it’s
My advice, which may absolutely not be the best, is to test again in the morning and go from there. If alk is down to 11 or less then you probably didn't have as big of a swing as you thought. If it's still high, mix some new saltwater, TEST THE ALK*, and do a 20% water change.
*If the alk of your new SW is higher than the tank alk, you'll be better off not doing the water change yet.
the alk tested at 13.3 this morning at 9:30am ph tested at 8.2 lights off I will check tonight when I get back home which be more than 24 hours since the wc and will see where we’re at, however the corals looked much happier/fluffier this morning when I flipped my living room lights on to inspect will let you know my results later

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you test with? Salifert/Red Sea or Hanna?

Also, as much as I would like to believe the corals are fine and healthy, I'm also aware of their delayed reactions which can occur days, sometimes even weeks after an event like this, but it's a good thing they didn't RTN immediately.
Please watch them closely for any stress signs in the coming few days.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you test with? Salifert/Red Sea or Hanna?

Also, as much as I would like to believe the corals are fine and healthy, I'm also aware of their delayed reactions which can occur days, sometimes even weeks after an event like this, but it's a good thing they didn't RTN immediately.
Please watch them closely for any stress signs in the coming few days.
Hanna/ redsea and api
Api went 12 drops till yellow
Redsea went 12.5 drops till yellow

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Did you get any salt with regular (not elevated) levels?
I would start with a 10 liters WC today and see how much it would go down.
It shouldn't be a lot at all, but I want to make a good guess as to where we at, because now we don't want to make any drastic changes to the water chemistry, but instead to go slow.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Did you get any salt with regular (not elevated) levels?
I would start with a 10 liters WC today and see how much it would go down.
It shouldn't be a lot at all, but I want to make a good guess as to where we at, because now we don't want to make any drastic changes to the water chemistry, but instead to go slow.
No sir I am going to mix the bucket up and make sure it’s not bc the mix itself isn’t consistent I’ll make a small batch mixed at 1.024 sg and check alk from there.. nearest lfs is an hours drive and the wife had plans today with kids which is fine by me… idk what 10 liters is tho lol

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 liters would be somewhere around 2.6 of your weirdly, non standard gallon based measuring methods :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Please make sure to test Alk in the new mix before doing the WC, I highly recommend getting a regular salt bucker though, it'll be very difficult to work with what you currently have, may even be impossible unless we combine the use of a carbon source, which actually would still leave all other parameters elevated.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 liters would be somewhere around 2.6 of your weirdly, non standard gallon based measuring methods :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Please make sure to test Alk in the new mix before doing the WC, I highly recommend getting a regular salt bucker though, it'll be very difficult to work with what you currently have, may even be impossible unless we combine the use of a carbon source, which actually would still leave all other parameters elevated.
I’m assuming you’re uk based lol yes sir I’ll test alk from here on out I have learned that lesson temp/salinity/alk to be tested each an eveytime I mix a batch.. the whole point i did the 80% wc was to lower no3 which I did but now I’m in this boat

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, I wonder why everyone here assume anyone outside of the US must be from the UK? :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I'm based in Israel, but we also use the metric system here, like the rest of the world do.

As for the situation you found yourself in, mistakes do happen in this hobby, and outside of it as well.
We're all human and we strive to success, often by learning from our very own mistakes and experiences.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, I wonder why everyone here assume anyone outside of the US must be from the UK? :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I'm based in Israel, but we also use the metric system here, like the rest of the world do.

As for the situation you found yourself in, mistakes do happen in this hobby, and outside of it as well.
We're all human and we strive to success, often by learning from our very own mistakes and experiences.
My apologies then sir I just don’t think about others using different methods of measurements lol and I appreciate all of your advice and suggestions you’ve given me

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, no the US is not alone in this.
Most of the former British colonies still use the Imperial measurement units, but metric is still used in the industry and for business.

There were also reforms, both in the UK and IIRC in the US as well to bound the Imperial units to the meter measurement system.

But yeah, most of the world moved on to measure in precise units, rather than the length of someones foot :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's most likely due to a fluctuating PH.
Did you test the Alk on a freshly mixed saltwater yet?
No not yet I’ve been super busy with life but I did check it at 10pm my time last night and it’s fallen to 12.5 dkh or 220ppm via Hanna checker

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back