Alk

courtstig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have been checking my parameters every week for about a month and my alkalinity keeps dropping .calcium is sky high and so is magnesium ph is 8. Any help is appreciated

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything? What salt do you use? What are the levels? What test kits?

OP
OP
C

courtstig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dosing, fritz blue box salt, alk has been around 8 now it’s a bit lower ,calcium and magnesium are off the charts ,salifert test kits salinity is 1026

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is the thing most people have to dose the most frequently. I keep mine around 8 btw.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use?
For small changes simple baking soda can be used. For long term check into BRS 2 part or something similar. Calculators can be found on the BRS site.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try testing your newly mixed saltwater. I started with fritz but switched to Red Sea after getting some bad batches of salt, meaning it mixed at 1.026 salinity to terribly high or low alk, calc, mag parameters. Your salt could be your problem.

Other than that, think of alkalinity as a measure of how easily your corals can consume calcium to grow. Think of balanced alk at 8.5, so low alk will prevent corals from consuming calcium making calcium go up. High alkalinity increases their consumption, which drops calcium relative to alk.

there are lots of methods of dosing, most people use 2 part (soda ash for alk and calcium carbonate for calcium). BRS is the cheapest.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dosing, fritz blue box salt, alk has been around 8 now it’s a bit lower ,calcium and magnesium are off the charts ,salifert test kits salinity is 1026

That seems a bit weird on calcium and alk. Maybe give the salt bags a bit of a shake before you mix next time.

Dosing alk is pretty common. It is not unsual for a tank to consume 1 or 2 KH a day

OP
OP
C

courtstig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was around 500 started dosing just part 2 of reef fusion yesterday got alk up to 10. Was down to 9 today and calcium is down to 450. I guess I’m going to have to start figuring out how much to dose

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was around 500 started dosing just part 2 of reef fusion yesterday got alk up to 10. Was down to 9 today and calcium is down to 450. I guess I’m going to have to start figuring out how much to dose

Unless you are intentionally aiming to keep a high alk tank, I wouldn't dose alk or calcium at those levels.

These may be helpful, although the nitrate an phosphate recommendations are dated and should be higher

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back