Alkalinity/Calcium Daily drop with no livestock

Jeff Miotke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill start with at this point I AM SO DAM frustrated I want to throw in the towel. And even worse my wife wants me to bag it call it a failure and sell it all off.

The crux is of the issue is that the water chemistry will not stabilize. Something is very very wrong.

Since Ive set this tank up it burns 1 to 2 dkh per day. Yes per day. With NO LIVESTOCK that would consume it.

No coral.
No coralline.
A few fish.

I have spoken with many folks and NOBODY can explain to me what is going on. Ive read everything on the forums I could find.

So. Normally this would be explained by precipitation. Look at the glass, heaters, pumps, sump and check the sand. NONE of these areas have shown any signs of precipitation.

Ive tried the following to hit my target numbers of dKh of 7.5 to 8 and Calcium of 420 to 430ppm:

Increase dosing. This increases consumption/precipitation rate.
Decrease or stop dosing. This results in the dKh bottoming out around 5.
No dosing for 3 weeks to allow for any CaCO3 nucleation sites to be poisoned and no longer precipitate. After resumed by adding 0.5 dkh Alkalinity per day
Different types of dosing: 2 part (both recipes using carbonate and bicarbonate), balling method, tropic marin bio calcium
90% water change to reset
Changed Salt mixes
Checked Mg over and over and its around 1500 (probably high reading with RedSea test kit)

Nothing has made any difference. Same consumption. The calcium and alkalinity just disappear over night every single day.

I have a 20 gallon frag tank that I pictured previously. This is where my corals are and they are doing OK. The Alkalinity and Calcium levels in this tank are solid. No daily swings. Normal consumption of 2 to 4 ml/week of 2 part.

So I've looked at the differences between the tanks and the difference outside of equipment (pretty sure I can eliminate the equipment from consuming alkalinity/Ca as at this point it would be a solid block of concrete.) is that the display tank has sand and rock.

The sand is Caribsea special grade live sand. It looks normal. It behaves normally. It has no clumping. I stir it and nothing out of the ordinary happens just a bit of detritus kicks up. No signs of anything wrong.

The rock is Caribsea life rock. It is the manmade purple stuff. Ive been closely observing everything in the last few weeks and noticed that the rock is no longer purple. It is encrusted with grey/greyish green/brown. I tried brushing the rock off and this does nothing so this coating is certainly attached. Is it possible that the rock is precipitating the alkalinity/calcium?

I reached out to the LFS and they never heard of such a thing but quickly qualified it with they don't know of anyone who did a full tank build with this rock. They were kind enough to reach out to Caribsea. Caribsea of course denied that it could be the rock causing the issue.

So I'm left with a mystery and a tank that has very unstable water conditions. Ive tested coral in the tank and it either barely hangs on or dies. I'm stuck. Its been 6 months and I cant put any coral in my REEF tank.

What would you do? Looking for any and all advice.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff,
I don't know your answers but I do know the Red Sea Pro can give high mag results because I used it. Went to Salifert and my mag was a 100 ppm lower than the RS. Adjusted mag to the Salifert and my Cal and Alk intake went back up.

I understand that your frustrated but if you don't mind, I'd like to tag along. I hope you get your answers and I want to learn as well.

Regards, Freddie

OP
OP
Jeff Miotke

Jeff Miotke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff,
I don't know your answers but I do know the Red Sea Pro can give high mag results because I used it. Went to Salifert and my mag was a 100 ppm lower than the RS. Adjusted mag to the Salifert and my Cal and Alk intake went back up.

I understand that your frustrated but if you don't mind, I'd like to tag along. I hope you get your answers and I want to learn as well.

Regards, Freddie

Thanks. Yea im hoping someone knows what may be happening. Im thinking as a last ditch effort to pull the rock. But what a major pita that would be. Plus i have nothing to replace it with. Maybe get some dry base rock?

whixley101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be surprised if it is your rock, strange though. The reason asked about kalk is because until I begun adding it to my auto top off, I had issues maintaining alk. Once it stabilized, calcium fell right in line.

OP
OP
Jeff Miotke

Jeff Miotke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be surprised if it is your rock, strange though. The reason asked about kalk is because until I begun adding it to my auto top off, I had issues maintaining alk. Once it stabilized, calcium fell right in line.

Yea ive thought that maybe an imbalance but the ca/alk ratio remains the same. Ive been adding them in a balanced ratio as well.

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having the same issues. In my case it was because my mag was 1500 I brought it down to 1320 , and now for the past week my alk and ca have balanced out

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, I have about 90% Life Rock and haven't experienced this issue but I'm curious to see where this leads.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yea im hoping someone knows what may be happening. Im thinking as a last ditch effort to pull the rock. But what a major pita that would be. Plus i have nothing to replace it with. Maybe get some dry base rock?
I have a little bit of the Life Rock but it's only a small amount back when it first came out but most of my rock is the real deal and very mature.
I would not tear it down either unless Randy says to.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is Caribsea life rock. It is the manmade purple stuff. Ive been closely observing everything in the last few weeks and noticed that the rock is no longer purple. It is encrusted with grey/greyish green/brown. I tried brushing the rock off and this does nothing so this coating is certainly attached. Is it possible that the rock is precipitating the alkalinity/calcium?
I think it is possible that this grey/greyish green/brown coating is either coralline algae or another form of calcifying algae. Not all coralline algae is purple.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is possible that this grey/greyish green/brown coating is either coralline algae or another form of calcifying algae. Not all coralline algae is purple.
+1
Good eye Brew12!

If it's "Encrusted" then it's calcifying. :)

OP
OP
Jeff Miotke

Jeff Miotke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just spent some time doing mg tests to confirm numbers. Tested the display tank and mg shows 1580.

The frag tank shows the off the charts high. It took .9ml to turn the end color so like 1800ppm.

I dont dose mg at all. So bad test kit?

I also double checked salinity. Checked calibration and it was dead on 35ppt. Tested display tank 1.024 and frag tank 1.023

Ill get another mg test as we all know low mg could cause this issue.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just spent some time doing mg tests to confirm numbers. Tested the display tank and mg shows 1580.

The frag tank shows the off the charts high. It took .9ml to turn the end color so like 1800ppm.

I also double checked salinity. Checked calibration and it was dead on 35ppt. Tested display tank 1.024 and frag tank 1.023

Get a Salifert mag kit.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just a few questions.
What salt are you currently using?
What is your pH?
What kind of corals are you trying to add that aren't making it?
Do you have any inverts/CuC in your tank?

OP
OP
Jeff Miotke

Jeff Miotke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few questions.
Aquaforest reef salt

What is your pH?
7.85 to 8

Birds nest - stn pulled out awhile ago. Stn stopped and color is returning.
Dragons nest - rtn and dead
Micromussa - seem to be ok but have lost color
Platygyra - edges dont look very good - pulling it tomorrow to frag tank
Zoa - some are closed up. Slowly they are looking worse. Probably pulling tomorrow.
Fungia - took this out two days ago and it looked like just a skeleton with a purple ring on the outside and today its starting to show flesh again. Hopeful it will recover in the frag tank.

Do you have any inverts/CuC in your tank? 3 astrea snail and 1 blood red shrimp and a pistol shrimp/yasha pair.

Tank is redsea reefer 525xl. Other fish are clown pair, 4 small wrasses and firefish.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few questions.
Aquaforest reef salt

What is your pH?
7.85 to 8

Birds nest - stn pulled out awhile ago. Stn stopped and color is returning.
Dragons nest - rtn and dead
Micromussa - seem to be ok but have lost color
Platygyra - edges dont look very good - pulling it tomorrow to frag tank
Zoa - some are closed up. Slowly they are looking worse. Probably pulling tomorrow.
Fungia - took this out two days ago and it looked like just a skeleton with a purple ring on the outside and today its starting to show flesh again. Hopeful it will recover in the frag tank.

Do you have any inverts/CuC in your tank? 3 astrea snail and 1 blood red shrimp and a pistol shrimp/yasha pair.

Tank is redsea reefer 525xl. Other fish are clown pair, 4 small wrasses and firefish.
Well that all looks good. You aren't the first person this year to have a problem with high mg using AF reef salt.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-salt-high-mag.283165/

I feel like your alk and calc could be being consumed by coralline algae. That doesn't explain why your coral isn't doing well.

What are you nitrates and phosphates?

Let's bring some more eyes on this. #reefsquad

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jeff Miotke

Jeff Miotke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that all looks good. You aren't the first person this year to have a problem with high mg using AF reef salt.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-salt-high-mag.283165/

I feel like your alk and calc could be being consumed by coralline algae. That doesn't explain why your coral isn't doing well.

What are you nitrates and phosphates?

Let's bring some more eyes on this. #reefsquad

I dont think i have much if any coralline algae though my understanding is that the purple color is just epoxy paint. The greyish deposits on the rock is certainly not coralline.

Nitrates are at about 1 to 2 ppm and phosphate is typically undetected. I feed 3 to 4 times a day pellets, mysis and brine shrimp and soak the frozen in selcon. Feed the corals reef roids and reef chilli couple times per week.

Also the filtration is a nyos 160 protein skimmer, 1 cup of carbon in reactor, mesh filter socks and a small bag of seachem matrix just in case i need to seed a hospital tank. Thats it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff Miotke

Jeff Miotke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea ive read these as well and have been looking at switching salt. Seachem gave me a box of the vibrant salt. I mixed a batch up up just this weekend for water changes. Calcium was 420ppm, alkalinity was 8.9 and mg was 1500 at 1.024 salinity. I have a apex dos change out 7500ml/night.

I spoke with Aquaforest at length last week regarding this and they were stumped as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back