Alkalinity & Calcium dosing and consumption

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy - old thread here but a good one...

Do you recommend new reefers dose something like Tropic Marine All-for-Feef (or carbocalcium) for simplicity? I'm debating traditional 2-part vs. some of the emerging 1-part options.

Many thanks

Actually, no.

I think a two part is more simple since the alk is not the best way to control the All for reef (the alk doesn't show up immediately, and perhaps never does), and so it gets complicated. I personaly think it is better for folks who have a good handle on their tank by observation.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, no.

I think a two part is more simple since the alk is not the best way to control the All for reef (the alk doesn't show up immediately, and perhaps never does), and so it gets complicated. I personaly think it is better for folks who have a good handle on their tank by observation.
Randy! :D

I respect your advice - do you have any more information on this topic (e.g., formate, the merits of using a Hanna alkalinity checker to monitor it, long-term coral health with a different alkalinity-like source, monitoring formate, and any other considerations)?

I was about to purchase a 1-head Kamoer X1pro wifi doser and use Tropic Marine's all-for-reef (or carbocalcium / make my own).

Many thanks for your time and insights.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy! :D

I respect your advice - do you have any more information on this topic (e.g., formate, the merits of using a Hanna alkalinity checker to monitor it, long-term coral health with a different alkalinity-like source, monitoring formate, and any other considerations)?

I was about to purchase a 1-head Kamoer X1pro wifi doser and use Tropic Marine's all-for-reef (or carbocalcium / make my own).

Many thanks for your time and insights.

Lou Ekus of Tropic Marin recommend here to determine dosing by calcium, not alkalinity, since it doesn't show up on alk tests until it is broken down, and he suggested it often is not broken down before being used directly by corals.

The alk test could be used to make sure alk is not too high or too low, but it may not prevent overdosing the formate and having it accumulate.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou Ekus of Tropic Marin recommend here to determine dosing by calcium, not alkalinity, since it doesn't show up on alk tests until it is broken down, and he suggested it often is not broken down before being used directly by corals.

The alk test could be used to make sure alk is not too high or too low, but it may not prevent overdosing the formate and having it accumulate.
Logical - thanks.

This could make for a great little side study for my Chemistry high school students.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back