Alkalinity - Do Zoanthids and Paly's Like it Low or High (Or does it not matter at all)?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that's a huge insight. All this time I thought soft coral used carbon gas and stony corals used bicarbonate.

If what you say is true, the question remains (as it pertains to this thread), does elevating bicarb streamline photosynthesis for zoas resulting in better growth?

True, that's the question and I do not know the answer. Only that if it does, there is a logical reason for it to happen. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel smarter after reading this. Don't understand it but thanks for helping. Do you have any articles on zoas?

No, I don't, sorry. Sorry too that you didn't follow it. If you have interest (and I recognize you may not), I can re-explain it as needed.

I do have an article on carbon sources for photosynthesis, but most of the data relates to various types of algae. I've not seen any similar data for zooanthids.

The article may explain what I wrote it more detail, but it is not any more simplified than what I wrote:

Photosynthesis and the Reef Aquarium, Part I: Carbon Sources by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't, sorry. Sorry too that you didn't follow it. If you have interest (and I recognize you may not), I can re-explain it as needed.

I do have an article on carbon sources for photosynthesis, but most of the data relates to various types of algae. I've not seen any similar data for zooanthids.

The article may explain what I wrote it more detail, but it is not any more simplified than what I wrote:

Photosynthesis and the Reef Aquarium, Part I: Carbon Sources by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Thanks for the link! The article was useful in explaining the different mechanisms used by marine algae to uptake alkalinity.

"The rate at which carbon dioxide is used by rapidly photosynthesizing organisms is fast enough that organisms can deplete the carbon dioxide in the surrounding seawater faster than it can be replaced by diffusion and other transport mechanisms through the seawater. The depletion is readily observed by the pH in the near surface regions of these organisms, where the pH rises due to carbon dioxide loss. For this reason many marine organisms have developed other means of obtaining carbon dioxide, including processes involving bicarbonate."

I wonder if any studies have been conducted with soft coral revealing similar mechanisms (carbonic anhydrase, direct uptake, and proton pumping). If so, maintaining a high alkalinity with a moderate ph of 8.2 should lead to more efficient photosynthesis and improved growth/health.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

amazing articles. thanks Randy. It sucks that there's not studies done about zoas. Locally to me there's the nova oceanographic center one student did a research on zoas but there was so many loops to jump through to get the right equipment and stuff that the semester passed and nothing was really accomplished. The poor zoas died because they were using 3 year old MH and also doing 100% water change daily lol. I tried helping and get more involved but like I said too many hoops.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is happening the same to me. My alk was roughly 7.5, and calcium 420, and some zoas don't look very good or no new heads for weeks. I am slowly increasing alk, and will see what happens... :)

Any Updates?

What did you increase your Alkalinity too?

How is Growth?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my system at around 10.5 dkh since reading Randy's article. Though I've not seen any positive or negative change to soft coral growth, there does seem to be one benefit. Less fluctuation in alkalinity when dosing moderate amounts of organic carbon.

FishnFriendz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Yes after increasing alk up to 9.0 (cal:400, mag:1400), I can see a lot of changes. Maybe my tank growth rate is slow cuz I don't feed much, but all the zoa/paly seem doing great, and I can see more new heads after all. And so far no sign of melting or shrinking (knock on the wood)
Picture below taken by phone.

Any Updates?

How is Growth?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 296

3Dsam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing articles. thanks Randy. It sucks that there's not studies done about zoas. Locally to me there's the nova oceanographic center one student did a research on zoas but there was so many loops to jump through to get the right equipment and stuff that the semester passed and nothing was really accomplished. The poor zoas died because they were using 3 year old MH and also doing 100% water change daily lol. I tried helping and get more involved but like I said too many hoops.

lol, someone probably told them zoas like frequent water changes. they do, but perhaps not that much:)

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Updates?

How is Growth?
thank you for starting this thread, thus giving rise to the info it contains, my zoas are not thriving as much as they once did and considering the differences between then and now the Alk is higher now. i am glad to have that difference taken off of the table as a causative factor. and in just a few minutes of research lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back