Alkalinity REALLY high

Carebearsss.x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! We just checked the parameters on our tank and the alkalinity is extremely high!
The DKH is at 14
While looking online, my boyfriend and I seen that you can dose vinegar into your tank to lower your alk?

Is this a good idea?
If so, how much do I add?

Pls help :) I’m still trying to learn

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt r u using?
What is your salinity?

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean reef crystals has a default alk of approx 13. So if your salinity is off a bit it could explain the 14.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just switch to a diff salt when the crystals are gone that contains a lower alk. Normal weekly small water changes will knock it down over time.. If the coral is happy just keep going until old salt is gone. Double check the salinity would be my first step.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would u recommend for the salinity 1.025?

That’s fine, but I generally recommend 35 ppt, which has a specific gravity of 1.0264.

Are you adding any chemicals or tap water to the aquarium?

OP
OP
Carebearsss.x

Carebearsss.x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just switch to a diff salt when the crystals are gone that contains a lower alk. Normal weekly small water changes will knock it down over time.. If the coral is happy just keep going until old salt is gone. Double check the salinity would be my first step.
Thank you for all your help, I'll double check right now

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what tool r u using to check salinity and do you have a way to calibrate it?

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using the Instant Ocean one :) so I don't think we are able to calibrate i t

Poo. Those can be hit or miss. Kinda meant for a fish only tank unless you get super lucky with one that just happens to read perfectly.

It could very well explain the high alk because your salinity is high. Just guessing here.

If you plan to be successful with coral spending 50 bucks on a sybon refractometer with a refractometer calibration solution is preferred

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean has a common dKH of ~9 or so, not 13. I've used that product for decades and thats where it tends to hover.

I just tested my new bag of Instant Ocean a few minutes ago and it tested at 9.1.

Reef Crystals, which is made by the same company can have a high dKH. My last bag mixed at 12.....I've had it clock in as high as 13.

Its possible we have an off bag of Instant Ocean. Mix up a bit and test it. If it tests the same as mine then we need to stop dosing. dKH will come down on it's own, but you need to stop adding it. It just doesnt rise for no reason.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I know a lot of reefers who Instant Ocean in reef tanks. It's not 'poo'. If any thing its RC that that tends to have massive batch variances. Because a marketing dept puts the word "pro" on a salt mix doesnt mean its better.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blaster.. i meant the swing arm hydrometer or whatever it is called. not the salt...

we could simply be dealing with an issue of a device which gives an approximation of salinity and be off.. combined with a high alk salt.. thus a reading of 14...

we have not even touched on how the OP is testing for alk!

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind using instant ocean reef crystals. it’s not mix very well from the factory. it might be a little difficult but take the bucket and shake it for about 4 to 5 minutes to let everything mix well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back