Alkatronic Users Thread

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger and bought the Alkatronic. Hopefully it'll arrive in the next few weeks.

I couldn't find a centralized thread on R2R where users of the Alkatronic could share their experiences, offer advice, or solicit help from @JonasRoman, even though I know there are more than a few members who use the Alkatronic (@BrianReefer, @acesq, @mitch91175, @markstubb)

So in anticipation of being a (new) happy Alkatronic user, I started this thread!

alkatronic.jpg

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed! I don’t know how I’d survive without it at this point! Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help.

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger and bought the Alkatronic. Hopefully it'll arrive in the next few weeks.

I couldn't find a centralized thread on R2R where users of the Alkatronic could share their experiences, offer advice, or solicit help from @JonasRoman, even though I know there are more than a few members who use the Alkatronic (@BrianReefer, @acesq, @mitch91175, @markstubb)

So in anticipation of being a (new) happy Alkatronic user, I started this thread!
A new alkatronic user here as well. Following along!

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read that the reagent solution can be discarded back into the tank after testing.

How many of you do this?

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read that the reagent solution can be discarded back into the tank after testing.

How many of you do this?
I started out disposing of the waste into a separate container while I tried to find out exactly what the reagent is composed of and ultimately decided it seemed safe enough to return to the tank. Definitely no short term negative effects of doing so as of week two.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I am in the market and currently debating between Alkatronic and GHL KH Director. I have a bit of confusion on how the Alkatronic works. It’s my understanding that the Alkatronic can make alk dosing adjustments based on the testing results. How is this accomplished?

For example I currently dose AF Component system with a GHL doser 2.1. How would the Alkatronic tell my GHL doser to up alk dosing based on the reading? Or is a separate doser required that works with the Alkatronic?

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have difficulty accessing the web based platform? My BT app works great, but I haven't been able to access any information through the web portal. I can log in, but no info shows and I have no options available on the webpage that loads for me.

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I am in the market and currently debating between Alkatronic and GHL KH Director. I have a bit of confusion on how the Alkatronic works. It’s my understanding that the Alkatronic can make alk dosing adjustments based on the testing results. How is this accomplished?

For example I currently dose AF Component system with a GHL doser 2.1. How would the Alkatronic tell my GHL doser to up alk dosing based on the reading? Or is a separate doser required that works with the Alkatronic?

You can either use the alkatronic's built in alkalinity dosing pump that will adjust alk based on the readings from the testing it does or you can use a BNC to connect to a controller that will read the alk test data and use it to make adjustments you specify to the dosing equipment it controls.
For instance, if the data reads higher than you want your alk, then you program your controller to suspend dosing or turn off your CO2 solenoid or your feed pump on your Cal Rx. If the alk reads low, then you can program your controller to dose a certain amount of alk solution as a one time adjustment to your dosing regimen.

I let my alkatronic dose to keep up on alk if it reads low, but I actually aim for my alk to be on the high side of my parameters so that the alkatronic shuts off my Kalkwasser dosing pump until the levels come back into range. So far using that method I have maintained my alk between 8.2 dkh and 8.4 dkh without dosing any alk solution at all. I fine tune my two part dosing to minimize the time the alk rises above my upper dkh parameter.

My goal is to minimize my testing frequency and minimize the amount of alkalinity solution adjustments I make.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out disposing of the waste into a separate container while I tried to find out exactly what the reagent is composed of and ultimately decided it seemed safe enough to return to the tank. Definitely no short term negative effects of doing so as of week two.

Hmmm. This is what Saltwateraquarium.com wrote about the reagent:

"STORE LOCKED UP
Keep away from children. Not for human consumption and is harmful to aquatic life. May cause cancer.

Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood. Avoid release to the environment. Wear protective gloves and eye protection."

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. This is what Saltwateraquarium.com wrote about the reagent:

"STORE LOCKED UP
Keep away from children. Not for human consumption and is harmful to aquatic life. May cause cancer.

Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood. Avoid release to the environment. Wear protective gloves and eye protection."

This is likely directly from the SDS. I am not familiar with what the reagent is, but I vaguely recall someone mentioning it was an acidic solution.

For what it’s worth, I started my career as a Laboratory Supervisor. This was right about the time that the US switched to the GHS system - which was when we went from MSDS (material safety data sheet) to SDS (safety data sheet), I know revolutionary! Well in the process of converting all lab supplies from MSDS to SDS I found out some interesting information about lots of stuff. We used GOJO hand soap, and the SDS for the hand soap said to avoid contact with skin [emoji23]. In my opinion SDS’ tend to be over precautious.

With that being said, I do not know what the reagent is so best to do your own investigative research.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I got my alkatronic yesterday and have a couple of questions:

1. What do you guys use to store the KH buffer and reagent?
  2. The instructions give some pretty limiting regarding the distance and height of the reagent bottle from the alkatronic. Do you all follow these?
  3. I bought some dosing vessels that have mur-lol push connect fittings. Would there be any downside in using those? If not, can anyone recommend an adaptor?

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I got my alkatronic yesterday and have a couple of questions:

1. What do you guys use to store the KH buffer and reagent?
  2. The instructions give some pretty limiting regarding the distance and height of the reagent bottle from the alkatronic. Do you all follow these?
  3. I bought some dosing vessels that have mur-lol push connect fittings. Would there be any downside in using those? If not, can anyone recommend an adaptor?
Yes I followed the distance and height instructions - but I bet you could get away with a little variance since the reagent pump can be calibrated for correct volume.
When I got my Alkatronic (2/2018) they originally came with 1 bottle of ready to use reagent like this:
upload_2018-11-16_14-50-18.png

I just drilled a small hole in the cap, and slid the supplied hard tube into it. I refill the bottle when it gets low.
I don't think they come this way anymore, but any similar solution would work.
I would just use something that limits evaporation, because that will change the strength of the solution.

Tri3unguy3n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I just got mine hooked up and I'm learning so ill be follwing along. Thanks for all the info!

David

Tri3unguy3n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a BNC? Im trying to use my alkatronic just to test and have my doser dose alk. Im new to the hobby so any info is appreciated. I currently only have a 5 head gold torch and some torcha from indo. Not too much inventory yet so im still trying to learn how to dial in doser. I just hooked up my doser pumps and I'm now dosing alk cal and mag. Thanks for any help

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bnc is a type of connector. Go to the menu and disable “Action Mode” and the alkatronic will only measure. You can use that measurement to adjust your dosers manually

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bluetooth plug is it to control the feeder pump to the cr or the co2 solenoid ???

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 76 74.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back