OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like my Melanarus is getting picked on in QT but I still haven’t witnessed it yet. The fins look to be picked at and not sure if it is my fairy wrasse or my diamond goby. Is it best to remove until they get to the DT?
I find it rather unusual that either of those suspects would be responsible - but anything is possible when it come to individual attitudes.
You could remove, or divide the QT (egg crate works well - split some vinyl tubing over the egg crate edges and wedge it tight in the tank).

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it rather unusual that either of those suspects would be responsible - but anything is possible when it come to individual attitudes.
You could remove, or divide the QT (egg crate works well - split some vinyl tubing over the egg crate edges and wedge it tight in the tank).
Could it be getting damaged by the lack of a full sand bottom? I originally tried a bowl full of it but it didn’t find its way into the bowl so I poured it into the corner. The goby then spread it throughout the tank the next couple days.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can't bury at all, then that's certainly a big stressor - could be an issue if that's the case.

Sometimes it takes them a couple days to figure out the sand box, but I never seen one completely fail to do so.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can't bury at all, then that's certainly a big stressor - could be an issue if that's the case.

Sometimes it takes them a couple days to figure out the sand box, but I never seen one completely fail to do so.
It did burry at first but I think it got a bit too thin. Will put a bowl in there as well to see if that helps.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s not really swimming and breathing hard but still eats. See attached photos. Is it fin rot or aggression?

0A5B7B1F-1F34-4D62-B670-44E58522A1FB.jpeg D8A6EF00-4989-4031-B5DA-5FC354D2DE92.jpeg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in Halichoeres wrasses. You say they can hide for up to a week or two. Don't mean for these to sound like stupid questions but these thoughts keep circling in my head.
Are they really in the sand this whole time or are they sneaking out at night when nobody is looking? Is there ever a point where you should go look for them?

For a fish that requires frequent feeding is there a danger of them starving? If they were the only fish in the tank, would you feed a couple times a day as if they weren't hiding?

I'm not sure about the fish but I might die of anxiety waiting for them to eat. :eek:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I able to keep yellow coris wrasse, melanurus wrasse, mystery wrasse in 55 gallons 3 ft mixed reef tank? Any concern? @evolved

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they really in the sand this whole time or are they sneaking out at night when nobody is looking?
Both scenarios happen. Sometimes they sneak out at night, or in the very early morning (dim) hours and feed some. Other times they do truly stay buried for a long period.
Is there ever a point where you should go look for them?
Nope.
For a fish that requires frequent feeding is there a danger of them starving?
Not really - staying buried also consumes very little energy - think of it almost like a state of hibernation.
If they were the only fish in the tank, would you feed a couple times a day as if they weren't hiding?
I'd probably just feed once per day in those situations, and closely observe from a distance for a period of time after, to see if they were coming out to eat without being seen.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I able to keep yellow coris wrasse, melanurus wrasse, mystery wrasse in 55 gallons 3 ft mixed reef tank? Any concern? @evolved
Huge concern with the mystery wrasse - that's a potential time bomb.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to stock a new 65 gal tank. I have a Tomini tang in it already. Will get a pair of African Flame-back Angels in it, a pair of Ocellaris clowns wrasse. Being a small tank, I think I will only have 1 wrasse rather than a group in it.
I am not too concern with aggressiveness of the wrasse. The Tomini will be able to handle himself. The clowns have a green Gigantea anemone. The angels will be fine since they are not timid.
What would you guys recommend? Blue Throat Fairy, Melanurus, Mystery, other beautiful but aggressive small wrasse? Since I keep all the listed wrasses, except the Mystery wrasse, I am leading toward the Mystery.
Are they all too big for a 65 gal?
If I choose a too large agressive wrasse, I cannot re-home him to my 320. I know wrasses behave differently in a 65 single wrasse vs a 320 with a lot other wrasses in it.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to elaborate about mystery wrasse being a potential time bomb?:)
1st post:
About Pseudocheilinus

The “Lined” wrasses, such as the Sixline, Fourline, etc., but also include such species as the Mystery Wrasse. Once established in a system, they often become quite confrontational towards new additions and are outright incompatible with other wrasses. For this reason, most should avoid the genus. However, they do hold some merit in the hobby as they can be a great addition in the appropriate setting. This is a very hardy genus and will readily hunt for pods and pests throughout the system. Therefore, they are a great addition to frag tanks or other small systems which are not suited for the larger genera. As much of a bully as they generally are, they are also notorious for being shy when observers are around. Species in this genus do not need a sand bed, as they will sleep within the rockwork in a mucus cocoon. Category 2 in terms of reef-safeness.
P. ocellatus “Mystery Wrasse”: Often available, somewhat expensive. Likes to consume shrimp when you’re not looking. Can get quite large for the genus. Does not play well with other wrasses.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I keep all the listed wrasses, except the Mystery wrasse, I am leading toward the Mystery.
Are they all too big for a 65 gal?
Having seen a few mature adults, I feel that a 65 is too small. It's a big species - nearly 5" long but also really thick (tall), 2-2.5" when mature. It's nearly as big as some of the larger Cirrhilabrus. I was definitely surprised the first time I saw an adult, having only seen the smaller guys for sale prior to.

What about Pseudocheilinus evanidus instead?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st post:
Thank you so much!

Let me revise it then. How about Melanurus, Yellow Coris, and any of the fairy or flasher wrasses? Can you recommend any flasher or fairy wrasses that small enough for 3 ft 55 gallons tank?

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great information Hunter, Wished i found this before I started adding wrasses myself. I went though some off these trials early in my tanks.

I didn't see this one in your write up; Cirrhilabrus rubeus ( Ruby Longfin)

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me revise it then. How about Melanurus, Yellow Coris, and any of the fairy or flasher wrasses? Can you recommend any flasher or fairy wrasses that small enough for 3 ft 55 gallons tank?
Any flasher, except P. octataenia would work.
For Cirrhilabrus, any complex with the "A" or "B" label:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any flasher, except P. octataenia would work.
For Cirrhilabrus, any complex with the "A" or "B" label:

Thank you so much. In using your recommendation, I guess I still have to go with the ones that less than 5" long when matured to accommodate 55 gallons 3 ft tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back