All depletion on a “new tank” with no corals

Faulkner’s maze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new tank up after my previous one. Running a Red Sea 350 with 63 system water. Had up to today 2 fish (now 5 today) -No corals.

anyway I had the LFS run a parameter check. Mg on the higher side (1400 but ok),, CA was in normal range, but the ALK was at 5 dkh-little surprised by this.
Only thing running is a biopellet reactor running-but I don’t think this would cause an alk drop.

Looking for other reasons why this might occur Thanks

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new tank up after my previous one. Running a Red Sea 350 with 63 system water. Had up to today 2 fish (now 5 today) -No corals.

anyway I had the LFS run a parameter check. Mg on the higher side (1400 but ok),, CA was in normal range, but the ALK was at 5 dkh-little surprised by this.
Only thing running is a biopellet reactor running-but I don’t think this would cause an alk drop.

Looking for other reasons why this might occur Thanks
Could be precipitation happening?
Also corals are not the only thing that can change alk...

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your freshly mixed water? Could be test error, bad batch of salt, etc. Worth checking I suppose.

RossV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind anything that produces acids, including the cycling process and fish waste, will lower alkalinity. I doubt that would make a huge difference, but possibly that in addition to the the water you got not having very high alk to begin with. Could be their test results weren't completely accurate too.

OP
OP
F

Faulkner’s maze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind anything that produces acids, including the cycling process and fish waste, will lower alkalinity. I doubt that would make a huge difference, but possibly that in addition to the the water you got not having very high alk to begin with. Could be their test results weren't completely accurate too.
Thanks-I need to check the water again. Just annoyed I can’t find my alk meter. It is entirely possible all those things are true…

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle and the entire process consumes alk. It's normal to have a drop when starting.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back