Almost ready to start putting water in my tank

Dan J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0310.JPG
Hello all,
We are moving slowly with our 60 Gallon cube tank, but I now have all the plumbing set up and have tested with fresh water. I've got lights and am about to start buying tank-ready salt water from our local shop (plug for Quantum Reef in North Virginia). I think my next step will be buying live rock. I'm leaning toward ordering from arcreef and would appreciate anyone's experience with them or thoughts on buying rock in general. Unlike some sources that brag that their rocks are free of hitchhikers, arcreef brags that their rocks come with lots of biodiversity - most of it good. They claim their tech support will help you get rid of any problem stuff. We don't have fish yet so can play with the rocks (and live sand from local shop) to get everything stable before adding fish. Our goal is fish by Christmas.

For now I'm holding off on a protein skimmer and flow pump (I'm told my Eheim 5000 should create enough flow for a 60 gallon tank). Those will likely be addittions sometime early in 2017. Hopefully our next post will have a picture with more of interest to look at. If anyone can think of something I may be missing I'd welcome the warning.

Dan J.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for live rock with lots of life check out Tampa Bay live rock
http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/setup.html

There are many on the forum who have used this and have been very happy. This summer I built a 90 gal. I used BRS dry rock. Great value but takes some patience and work. Comes loaded with a lot of dead organic detritus which
Needs to be delt with prior to being used
You will save yourself a ton of $ if you purchase a rodi system and make your own salt water

Starwar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on rodi system...your tank will probably evaporate at least 1 gallon a day. your going to constantly need fresh water for top off to keep your salinity in check. buy it new or check craiglist or ebay for a used brs system. I waited 6 months for mine and its fantastic...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back