Alright... is there any chance I can keep a porcupinefish in a reef tank without it eating other fish, inverts, and corals?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom won't stop bugging me about a porcupinefish. Please tell me that this is impossible so I can stop hearing it. She won't listen to what I've found on all the online sources I can find.

Tank is 80 gallons mixed reef, includes multiple urchins, an engineer goby, multiple snails and two wrasses. Fed daily because one of the wrasses is a cleaner.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO, and they will need at least a 180g. They will get very aggressive and destroy everything in a tank that small.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an excuse to get a large fowlr tank though! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
oh heck no...
that'll just make me get a shark....

and I know for a fact I can't keep those two together.

no seriously though this hobby sells sharks way too cheap... I can get them at my lfs for a hundred bucks(used to be thirty)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom won't stop bugging me about a porcupinefish. Please tell me that this is impossible so I can stop hearing it. She won't listen to what I've found on all the online sources I can find.

Tank is 80 gallons mixed reef, includes multiple urchins, an engineer goby, multiple snails and two wrasses. Fed daily because one of the wrasses is a cleaner.
You need to listen to your mother, it’s one of the 10 Commandments; “That you may live long on the earth.” You have kindly and reasonably explained the situation and now you need to take action to prevent future incidents from happening, with her.

Get the puffer and a bunch of inverts and delicious coral treats for the fish to snack on. Take pictures of these beautiful living sacrifices and make a scoreboard with the pictures of all the things that the puffer eats. That scoreboard will be a leverage point that you can use whenever she insists on her way going forward.

“I hear what you are saying, dearest mother but I can’t handle another’Pufferfish’ disaster based upon your whims of fancy that are not in line with the reality that governs our universe.”

What can she say after that?

Peace be with you,

silent GIF
:cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 121 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back