Am I Feeding Enough

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing but bought an established tank with decent sized fish. I’ve got a Foxface (4-5”), blue tang (3-4”), coral beauty (3”), cardinal (3”) and two new clowns (1”) I just added.

I feed approximately 1 cube total of frozen food daily and a quarter sheet of nori. I use a variety of frozen foods alternating between Rods Food, LRS Reef Feenzy, Mysis, Brine and occasionally soak in garlic or selcon.

FE06FDF2-412C-4F9A-972A-CD2DC53C543C.jpeg BE17F2FC-DAD3-46A4-BE3A-65AA95295AAA.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, they get everything. Mostly just scraps for the coral.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see the coral looks healthy and you don’t have nuisance algae over growing everything so I would say you got it about right! The fish aren’t real clear in the pics but they don’t look thin to me.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test NO3 and PO4?
I ask as I'd be feeding them New Life Spectrum pellets for lunch, then the frozen for dinner, or vice-versa. Up to you.

I have a 3.5" yellow tang, 2" coral beauty, 2" PJ cardinal, 2.5" starry blennie and 2" springer's dottyback. At lunch they get enough pellets that it takes them 3-4 minutes to eat them all, then a cube for dinner (or some NLS flakes), and twice a week a 1/4 sheet of nori.

I need to dose NO3 and PO4, so I'm not overfeeding, but I do have a decent amount of SPS that process those 2.

Essentially, I feel you are underfeeding. Try upping the amounts and watch your nutrient levels.
Underfed fish can become aggressive with each other, eat things in the tank you don't want them to eat, and also become unhealthy.

Also, use fortified brine shrimp, or better yet just stop buying it when it's all used up. It's best just used to get fish eating.
And garlic is becoming controversial as to possibly cause liver damage, so keep it's use to a minimum.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Feed little food as you are. Easier to add a little more than to remove it

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bump the nori to half a sheet. Make sure it's folded several times so it's compact and sturdy so the foxface won't destroy with a few bites.

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My levels are ~ 10 for nitrates consistently for the 3 months I’ve had the tank but that’s with API tests. Getting salifort tests this weekend.

Phos has been less steady, ranging from 0.5 - 0.2. I think some of that’s been the stress of the move. Also, I’ve been using GFO to bring it down the last 2 months. Using Hanna checkers to test.

The foxface and tang do destroy the nori. I fold it in half already but may see if I can double it.

I haven’t seen that on the garlic, I’ll aim for maybe twice a week. I’ve seen a few white spots come and go on the blue tang so I think I’m in ich management and want to boost immune systems as much as possible.
My fish seem thick and strong but they clear any food I drop in quickly

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back