Am I going to freak my clownfish out?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gal. tank with some non-photosynthetic corals that need to be hand fed and am considering getting a couple of percula clowns. There is a rock to hide behind, but since it's such a small tank is my putting my hand in there for a few minutes every couple of days going to scare them too much?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. My clownfish is the only fish in my 15g, and I can’t get my finger in the water without him biting me. If I have to put my hand in he attacks, biting the webbing between my fingers. If I swat towards him to scare him away, he dodges and goes behind the rocks and comes out a random place and attacks me more

Edit: I’ve had him 2 years. It hasn’t got better. Only worse. It’s leading to my tank getting over run with algae because he doesn’t let me clean anything

DDB05B5C-EA4A-433C-AAD9-F1F301FDDF69.jpeg CA4DFA3D-2EEB-4685-9ABD-0EDB792FBDF6.jpeg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gal. tank with some non-photosynthetic corals that need to be hand fed and am considering getting a couple of percula clowns. There is a rock to hide behind, but since it's such a small tank is my putting my hand in there for a few minutes every couple of days going to scare them too much?
I absolutely agree with Walker Loves_The Ocean! When I used to feed my anemone in an old tank I had, my clown would try to bite me because I was messing with his host. So just be ready, they can be very territorial

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. My clownfish is the only fish in my 15g, and I can’t get my finger in the water without him biting me. If I have to put my hand in he attacks, biting the webbing between my fingers. If I swat towards him to scare him away, he dodges and goes behind the rocks and comes out a random place and attacks me more

Edit: I’ve had him 2 years. It hasn’t got better. Only worse. It’s leading to my tank getting over run with algae because he doesn’t let me clean anything

DDB05B5C-EA4A-433C-AAD9-F1F301FDDF69.jpeg CA4DFA3D-2EEB-4685-9ABD-0EDB792FBDF6.jpeg
Lol Yeah Clowns are a trip for sure.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience clowns either dont care if your hand is in the tank or they bite the s- out of you!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they will get use to the food god's hand. Mine freaked out for a bit not they come up and feed right out of my hands

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said. I would pick a different fish.

Ive had to take my clown out sometimes when i clean the tank. He hangs out in a cup.

Sea Life Dive GIF by Ovation TV
Anyone have advice for a couple of fish that would do well in this situation and not bite my fingers off?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have advice for a couple of fish that would do well in this situation and not bite my fingers off?
I don't think putting your hand in the tank will be an issue. I would say a firefish, but it would scare me that it would jump when you are doing your thing in the tank.

-clown gobys
-tailspot blenny
-bicolor Benny
-lawnmower blenny

I think you get the point haha, but really any fish that is able to be in that size tank, should work.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that Ocellaris are less aggressive than Percula clownfish. Does anyone know if this will this make much of a difference or will I still bitten, etc. just as much?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that Ocellaris are less aggressive than Percula clownfish. Does anyone know if this will this make much of a difference or will I still bitten, etc. just as much?
I don't think it will make much of a difference at all.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris are still pretty territorial when they become fully mature adult females and ESPECIALLY if your pair starts breeding.

CyberNinjaZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dipping a finger in their flakes and into the tank. They will feed directly from me after only a week of doing so. They are still weary when I mess with the corals or rock scape, but they honestly seem to be more curious than anything. I don't seem to bother them, anymore.

If they get to know you now, they will be less likely to worry about you later. (At least I hope so)

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't scare. They more than likely attack you when they get established. Mine does every time. I actually wonder if it is playing

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, have had both. Depends on the age of the female, they get nasty when they get older. My 12 year old female in my 125 used to try and chase my hand away but if I had feed her a few pieces of food she is okay with it being in there. Shes a darwin. Female I had before her chased my hand out all the time, swam from one end of the six foot tank to the other to try and bite me. I saw her coming and moved and she jumped out of the tank and went carpet surfing! A few days after that I had the lid open about to poor food in and she jumped and bit me in the forehead. Some clownfish just be like that lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back