Am I missing anything?

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I finally ordered everything, but just to make sure I am going to post here and see did I miss anything.

I ordered a waterbox AIO 65.4, which comes with filter sock, carbon and bio balls. I also got the syncra silent pump and a heater. 1 powerhead, salinity tester and algae scraper. Also testing kit for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate and ph. I am planning to start with fritz turbo start which my LFS has it and I am going to buy pre mixed sea water/wet rock/packaged sand. And lastly I also have a gravel vacuum to change the water when necessary. This will just be a FOWLR so I didn't plan to get a light yet but the tank is placed in a bright room without direct sunlight. 3 things I plan to get in near future is an ATO, protein skimmer and light, also a mesh lid from waterbox, as they're currently out of stock now. I also planned to set up a big bin and extra powerhead for mixing saltwater at home.

Am I missing anything that's super obvious?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a RO/DI system. It's much easier to top off your tank/fill the ATO reservoir, and it's also easier to do water changes that way.

Also, I would get the ATO now, because to your surprise alot of water will evaporate everyday, and it will become a pain.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prioritize the ato over the skimmer to start.
I use a brute 20 gallon for water changes.

Might want to think about a cheap pump for mixing salt and a small secondary heater.
Good luck!

Edit: and as said. RODI is a must for a reef imo
Does RO system work? Or it needs the DI too? Also can I use grocery bottle RO water/distilled before I can figure out where to install a filtration system lol.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also planned to set up a big bin and extra powerhead for mixing saltwater at home.

best thing I ever did was buy a 20 gallon brute trash can and a wheel base for it. Makes making water and water changes stupid easy

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does RO system work? Or it needs the DI too? Also can I use grocery bottle RO water/distilled before I can figure out where to install a filtration system lol.
RO/distilled is ok for emergencies but you really want the DI to remove as much stuff from your tap water as possible.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I finally ordered everything, but just to make sure I am going to post here and see did I miss anything.

I ordered a waterbox AIO 65.4, which comes with filter sock, carbon and bio balls. I also got the syncra silent pump and a heater. 1 powerhead, salinity tester and algae scraper. Also testing kit for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate and ph. I am planning to start with fritz turbo start which my LFS has it and I am going to buy pre mixed sea water/wet rock/packaged sand. And lastly I also have a gravel vacuum to change the water when necessary. This will just be a FOWLR so I didn't plan to get a light yet but the tank is placed in a bright room without direct sunlight. 3 things I plan to get in near future is an ATO, protein skimmer and light, also a mesh lid from waterbox, as they're currently out of stock now. I also planned to set up a big bin and extra powerhead for mixing saltwater at home.

Sounds like a plan :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Is your credit card smoking :worried-face:

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, I have mine attached to utility sink in the laundry. You don’t have to hard plumb it in, there are adaptors that attach to sinks.
Lugging water around from stores will get tiresome, and you’ll want it for your auto reservoir as well as fresh salt water.
Since you have time, look at local reef clubs or somewhere like offer up. I got my 75 gpd system for 80 bucks, and besides the membrane, none of the other replacements are very expensive. BRS regularly runs sales where you can get sediment, carbon, and di resin for 20ish bucks. I changed mine recently for peace of mind, but after 8 months the DI resin was only halfway gone.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy some salt mix and use your tap water for the cycle as many here will tell you to change 50% +. Instant Ocean salt mix is fine.

I know nothing about your tap water, I think Seawater may have a TDS of 30,000 ppm +. You can mix it in the tank and move it around with your pumps.

A FOWLR never needs a light :thinking-face: Less algae and ugly phase !

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back