Ammonia badge test kit discrepancy

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish have been in a 20 gal QT for a couple of months while my DT lies fallow. Did Cupramine and then Prazipro. Waiting til 3/10 to repopulate DT.
My Seachem ammonia badge in QT shows yellow in the middle but I just did some testing and my ammonia shows approx .2-.3 with Red Sea test kit. Did 2nd Praiz treatment on 2/15 and followed with 25% water change on 2/22 and added carbon pad to HOB filter.
Other parameters are: pH 8.2; SG - 1.026; NO3 - 20ppm, NO2 - .3-.4; PO4 - approx .3-.5; dKH - 10.9 (using RS CP)

Could the medications still be affecting the test kit reading? Gonna do another 25% WC today. Anything else I need to do?

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly the meds that’s in the tank will give you wrong readings with test kits that’s why the badge is recommended.

OP
OP
PeterG

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly the meds that’s in the tank will give you wrong readings with test kits that’s why the badge is recommended.
That's the way I remember it as well, but I'm questioning whether the meds should have filtered out by now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PeterG

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon isn't very effective at pulling out large amounts of copper. Odds are you still have plenty in your system causing the high ammonia reading.

Polyfilters are my preferred method for removing copper.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Fi...Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-vi.html

Did quite a number of Copper tests with Seachem kit over a period of a week to 10 days and waited til I got no color at all on the scale before adding Prazi. If there was still copper in the water, would it have affected the Prazi?
Will order Polyfilters today.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew12 beat me to it just about to say polyfilter I run them after a few days of running carbon the color change let’s you know that it’s working.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did quite a number of Copper tests with Seachem kit over a period of a week to 10 days and waited til I got no color at all on the scale before adding Prazi. If there was still copper in the water, would it have affected the Prazi?
Will order Polyfilters today.
I would have thought that would be fine, but copper test kits are something I have no faith in. I'm not sure if levels too low to read on a kit would impact ammonia readings but I feel it is possible. The fact your ammonia readings are only a little high makes this more likely imo.

Fortunately, it won't have any negative impact on your Prazi usage.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprisorb media pads are another option for removal of copper. You place them in your HOB filer and watch then change to the color blue. And you can "reuse" them over and over again. All you need is some muriatic acid to "recharge" the media. Very easy to do. Highly recommend. Hope this helps :)

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.56.35 AM.png

OP
OP
PeterG

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprisorb media pads are another option for removal of copper. You place them in your HOB filer and watch then change to the color blue. And you can "reuse" them over and over again. All you need is some muriatic acid to "recharge" the media. Very easy to do. Highly recommend. Hope this helps :)

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.56.35 AM.png
Does Cuprisorb need to be placed in a bag? I saw Seachem sells something called "The Bag" but it gets mixed reviews. Will any type of mesh bag work?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Cuprisorb need to be placed in a bag? I saw Seachem sells something called "The Bag" but it gets mixed reviews. Will any type of mesh bag work?
Mine came in a bag. Fit perfect in my Aquaclear HOB 50

OP
OP
PeterG

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought that would be fine, but copper test kits are something I have no faith in.
Kind of scary when you think that we rely on the copper test kit to ascertain that we have a therapeutic level of copper in the QT

Mine came in a bag. Fit perfect in my Aquaclear HOB 50

Good to know that it is already in a bag. For some reason I went with the Seachem Tidal Filter HOB over the Aquaclear. Shouldn't be an issue (I hope)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of scary when you think that we rely on the copper test kit to ascertain that we have a therapeutic level of copper in the QT

Good to know that it is already in a bag. For some reason I went with the Seachem Tidal Filter HOB over the Aquaclear. Shouldn't be an issue (I hope)

They do sell it in bulk containers. I suppose you could use one of those media bags. I'd get bags that are fine mesh if you are going the bulk route.

OP
OP
PeterG

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mesh on the Seachem brand Cuprisorb is very fine. So, yes, I'm pretty sure the "Extra fine" bag is the one you want. You don't want the black color. You need the white to easily see the Cuprisorb changing color to blue.

OP
OP
PeterG

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mesh on the Seachem brand Cuprisorb is very fine. So, yes, I'm pretty sure the "Extra fine" bag is the one you want. You don't want the black color. You need the white to easily see the Cuprisorb changing color to blue.
Prefer white but so far no luck finding any marked Extra Fine. "Fine" mesh ones state NOT for Purigen or Cuprasorb. Might just with the 100ml size already in a bag.
Thanks for your help Big G

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't change to blue, didn't realize it would...But pulled out the copper safe, according to testing.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish have been in a 20 gal QT for a couple of months while my DT lies fallow. Did Cupramine and then Prazipro. Waiting til 3/10 to repopulate DT.
My Seachem ammonia badge in QT shows yellow in the middle but I just did some testing and my ammonia shows approx .2-.3 with Red Sea test kit. Did 2nd Praiz treatment on 2/15 and followed with 25% water change on 2/22 and added carbon pad to HOB filter.
Other parameters are: pH 8.2; SG - 1.026; NO3 - 20ppm, NO2 - .3-.4; PO4 - approx .3-.5; dKH - 10.9 (using RS CP)

Could the medications still be affecting the test kit reading? Gonna do another 25% WC today. Anything else I need to do?

My understanding of the ammonia badge as it reads the toxic form of ammonia, the test kits read the total. Just a different number and the concern is the badge. I am not sure about the medication effecting it as I do not use med too often in qt unless needed and never a copper or coppersafe.

http://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't change to blue, didn't realize it would...But pulled out the copper safe, according to testing.
It just turned blue around the edges of the pad. Took a few days, but it pulled out the copper. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of the ammonia badge as it reads the toxic form of ammonia, the test kits read the total. Just a different number and the concern is the badge. I am not sure about the medication effecting it as I do not use med too often in qt unless needed and never a copper or coppersafe.

http://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php
As long as your pH is over 7.5 almost all of the ammonia is the toxic variety so we shouldn't see a difference between the two readings.

Most meds won't impact ammonia tests, but copper will. I won't claim to know the science behind why it interferes.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 80 62.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back