Ammonia Spike?

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I wanted to just double check with more experienced hobbiest before i head over to the lfs to pickup salt for a water change. I did an Api test this morning after starting a treatment with polyp lab medic last night. first dose treatment after lights out and then a treatment this morning before light come on at 7am. I tested my parameters around 11am with the api test kit just to see how things are before heading into work and notice everything was fine (zeros all around) except my ammonia. I read somewhere that medications can affect the ammonia reading but just to be sure I wanted a few more opinions.

PH:7.9
Ammonia: .2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Temp: 77.8 F

I thoughts are to do a 25% water change and potentially get more bottle bacteria to assist with the ammonia if the reading is correct? Theres nothing dead in the tank so im not really sure what could have caused this much increase unless from overeating?

81ad62c594804eb6960bbb0d05b0457d.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw out the API tests and stop testing for ammonia if you are past cycling the tank.

Nitrate, phosphate, alk, cal, mag for your basic testing needs

Also a good calibratable meter for salinity and PH.

Why did you dose polyp lab medic?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys I wanted to just double check with more experienced hobbiest before i head over to the lfs to pickup salt for a water change. I did an Api test this morning after starting a treatment with polyp lab medic last night. first dose treatment after lights out and then a treatment this morning before light come on at 7am. I tested my parameters around 11am with the api test kit just to see how things are before heading into work and notice everything was fine (zeros all around) except my ammonia. I read somewhere that medications can affect the ammonia reading but just to be sure I wanted a few more opinions.

PH:7.9
Ammonia: .2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Temp: 77.8 F

I thoughts are to do a 25% water change and potentially get more bottle bacteria to assist with the ammonia if the reading is correct? Theres nothing dead in the tank so im not really sure what could have caused this much increase unless from overeating?

81ad62c594804eb6960bbb0d05b0457d.jpeg
I highly recommend taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fritz ACCR and put a capful in my 10 gallon tank and works great to treat ammonia.

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know API wasnt this looked down on o_O . I'll be sure to bring samples to the store as well as jugs just in case but if the readings are on the high side would a water change and more bottled bacteria be the move? I also started dosing the water just in case because my clownfish seems to have picked up a parasite and im trying to treat and the waters columns just in case it could spread to others.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know API wasnt this looked down on o_O . I'll be sure to bring samples to the store as well as jugs just in case but if the readings are on the high side would a water change and more bottled bacteria be the move? I also started dosing the water just in case because my clownfish seems to have picked up a parasite and im trying to treat and the waters columns just in case it could spread to others.

Most things that can be added as reef safe are no more than placebos IME. And blindly treating is the #1 rookie move.

If you think the fish has a parasite you should work to identify which it is and treat accordingly with real targeted meds.

do you have more fish? What size is the tank and how old? How did you cycle?

A Water change is not the fix seeing as your nitrate is 0.

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most things that can be added as reef safe are no more than placebos IME. And blindly treating is the #1 rookie move.

If you think the fish has a parasite you should work to identify which it is and treat accordingly with real targeted meds.

do you have more fish? What size is the tank and how old? How did you cycle?

A Water change is not the fix seeing as your nitrate is 0.
They have either flukes or early signs of ich. I have the materials coming into later tonight to conduct a freshwater dip and potentially using prazipro as well if it comes down to it. I just thought just in case it wasnt flukes since PLM is marked as reef safe it wouldnt do harm to the tank while im prepping to test for flukes.

Tank is coming to being 3 months old, its a Waterbox 50.3 AIO. It got cycled with Fritz turbo for the first 3 weeks and I got doctor tims at the end to stabilize nitrites. ( I showed my testing to my lfs and they suggested that.) Its been fine after that.

Current Livestock is:
2x Clownfish
2x Carpenter Wrasse
1x Tomini Tang
1x Cleaner shrimp
5x Turbo snails
4x red legged hermit crabs
2x Tiger conch shells.

So since my nitrates are 0 are you suggesting theres no cause for concern in the ammonia department and I just presume working tackling the parasites?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have either flukes or early signs of ich. I have the materials coming into later tonight to conduct a freshwater dip and potentially using prazipro as well if it comes down to it. I just thought just in case it wasnt flukes since PLM is marked as reef safe it wouldnt do harm to the tank while im prepping to test for flukes.

Tank is coming to being 3 months old, its a Waterbox 50.3 AIO. It got cycled with Fritz turbo for the first 3 weeks and I got doctor tims at the end to stabilize nitrites. ( I showed my testing to my lfs and they suggested that.) Its been fine after that.

Current Livestock is:
2x Clownfish
2x Carpenter Wrasse
1x Tomini Tang
1x Cleaner shrimp
5x Turbo snails
4x red legged hermit crabs
2x Tiger conch shells.

So since my nitrates are 0 are you suggesting theres no cause for concern in the ammonia department and I just presume working tackling the parasites?

I think an accurate diagnosis is the most important thing at this point. Can you describe the symptoms and post pictures/videos?

I find the API ammonia and copper test difficult to read.

Jay

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got this cool reader won in a giveaway that has a probe to give thorough reading on things like PH,Salinity,Temp, and something else. ( Not sure what it is) Just to also show what the tanks parameters are in those aspects if the API readings arent worth relying on.

Attachments

• c28497b68e9a4087a87432db898c1bf7.jpeg
    c28497b68e9a4087a87432db898c1bf7.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an accurate diagnosis is the most important thing at this point. Can you describe the symptoms and post pictures/videos?

I find the API ammonia and copper test difficult to read.

Jay
You actually saw the video of my clownfish yesterday of him flashing my rockwork and suggested it to be Flukes. I got the material's coming in later tonight to treat that if it is that.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back