Ammonia spike

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my 65g tank has been up and running for about a year now. I have inverts corals liverock and a clown fish and also a small sailfin tang that recently died of unknown causes. I pulled it out of the system within an hour of its death so no decomposition occured. I recently checked my ammonia and it is at .25 ppm. Do y'all think this could've caused the sailfin tangs death? Will this spike correct itself? And is this ammonia level harmful to my corals? Thanks.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do y'all think this could've caused the sailfin tangs death?

Hard to say, without a long documentation of water parameters, it would be just a guess but it possibly could be.

Will this spike correct itself?

It depends on how much bacteria you have. If you have a lot, it should correct itself fairly quickly but if you don't the 0.25 ppm may stick around. To be safe, I would recommend buying a bottle of bacteria and dumping it in to the tank or doing a good size water change.

And is this ammonia level harmful to my corals? Thanks.

Hardier corals maybe tolerant to 0.25 ppm for a small time but some of the more pickier species will start showing signs of stress or even start dying.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, without a long documentation of water parameters, it would be just a guess but it possibly could be.

It depends on how much bacteria you have. If you have a lot, it should correct itself fairly quickly but if you don't the 0.25 ppm may stick around. To be safe, I would recommend buying a bottle of bacteria and dumping it in to the tank or doing a good size water change.

Hardier corals maybe tolerant to 0.25 ppm for a small time but some of the more pickier species will start showing signs of stress or even start dying.
Thanks for the reply! I have plenty of bacteria in the tank. I'm gonna monitor it every couple days and see if it gets worse or goes down. I'm using an API kit so not sure how reliable the results are. All my corals are very hardy. Sps are Montis and lps are euphilias and softies are zoa's and leather Kenya trees and cabbage coral.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit did you use? The API are notorious for giving false positives. May check some fresh saltwater and see what color the test registers as a control.
I used API. I just tested it again and got a reading of zero. So who knows. Freaking inconsistency. I'll keep monitoring it closely and see what it does. I figured that the ammonia was the cause of the sailfin death, but maybe not. That thing was seriously healthy and happy the night before and the next day it was sucked up against a powerhead and got its fins shredded up and died an hour later... Who knows.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit did you use? The API are notorious for giving false positives. May check some fresh saltwater and see what color the test registers as a control.
I used API. I just tested it again and got a reading of zero. So who knows. Freaking inconsistency. I'll keep monitoring it closely and see what it does. I figured that the ammonia was the cause of the sailfin death, but maybe not. That thing was seriously healthy and happy the night before and the next day it was sucked up against a powerhead and got its fins shredded up and died an hour later... Who knows.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some prime and keep it on hand in the event that you suspect ammonia being present.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try hardier fish for a while before you jump into tangs. Another clown would be a good start and you could get a different color pattern to add variety. A yellow coris wrasse is a good pest control fish, and I think every tank should have a blenny. the starry one would compliment the color of the yellow coris wraswse well, IMO.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try hardier fish for a while before you jump into tangs. Another clown would be a good start and you could get a different color pattern to add variety. A yellow coris wrasse is a good pest control fish, and I think every tank should have a blenny. the starry one would compliment the color of the yellow coris wraswse well, IMO.
Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking it was a false reading because I've tested 3 times since then and it keeps coming back as 0ppm. I'll keep monitoring it closely. Also, what was that red-ish fish in your tank that just sits on the corals and Rockwork? That thing was awesome. How hardy are they?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longnose hawkfish. It eats shrimp and sometimes snails so I don't have any shrimp, but he hasn't touched my snails. Mr. A sells them for $40

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longnose hawkfish. It eats shrimp and sometimes snails so I don't have any shrimp, but he hasn't touched my snails. Mr. A sells them for $40
Awesome! I was gonna pull the trigger on a red hawk fish at my LFS. Do you think the long nose ones are better?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the looks of the red or flame hawkfish but they are bad swimmers. the longnose are much better swimmers and now that i haver mine, I like it very much

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's something to consider... I'll have to do more research. My LFS can order one for me of I request and have it in with their next shipment... We'll see

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a pic
Geometric_Pygmy_Hawkfish_for_sale_Pet_Fish_for_sale_www.petfishforsale.com__83102.1460660341.500.659.png

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking it was a false reading because I've tested 3 times since then and it keeps coming back as 0ppm. I'll keep monitoring it closely. Also, what was that red-ish fish in your tank that just sits on the corals and Rockwork? That thing was awesome. How hardy are they?
It could also be that the test was correct and after that your bacteria has taken care of the ammonia, so testing after that would show 0

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be that the test was correct and after that your bacteria has taken care of the ammonia, so testing after that would show 0
That could possibly be correct. I've been checking it daily and haven't had any readings so I'm happy lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back