Ammonia up after dead fish

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I transferred 2 clownfish from qt yesterday. Sadly one died sometime within about an 18 hour period. I checked ammonia tonight and it was at .2-.4, previous tests had all been 0. Tank has been running for about a month and half cycled. Should I do a large wc or let it ride? Have 4 other fish in this 73 gallon tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some prime. Didn’t think about that. Thanks!
A water change is definitely in order, but the Prime will be a bandaid until you get the overall chemistry back on track.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that your test kit will still show ammonia present since Prime just binds it.
Also, it will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates for up to 48 hours. If they are still present after that time frame, they are released back into the water, unless Prime is re-dosed accordingly.
So adding some Stability or other bacteria will also help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did when I noticed it. I just doses some prime. Will check levels again in the morning. Thanks again.

If the fish is out, ammonia won't rise more and the level is not likely a big issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What test kit are you using and when did you last test before fish loss?
Rise in ammonia after a fish dies would be normal as way back, one would place a piece of shrimp in the tank for cycling to allow ammonia to rise and then remove it to monitor a drop to determine tank ability to digest ammonia.
As for prime- I find it an alternative, not a solution. Like ammo Lock in FW, it will bind it, but it has to go somewhere. Its not going to just disappear from a liquid.
With prime, you can lock it but still do a water change, which is industry standard to lower ammonia and nitrate

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using and when did you last test before fish loss?
Rise in ammonia after a fish dies would be normal as way back, one would place a piece of shrimp in the tank for cycling to allow ammonia to rise and then remove it to monitor a drop to determine tank ability to digest ammonia.
As for prime- I find it an alternative, not a solution. Like ammo Lock in FW, it will bind it, but it has to go somewhere. Its not going to just disappear from a liquid.
With prime, you can lock it but still do a water change, which is industry standard to lower ammonia and nitrate
I use the Red Sea ammonia test. I tested again this morning and just a bit ago and we’re are at 0. Inwill just continue to keep an eye on it since it’s such a new tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back