An intermediate guide to dealing with Dinoflagellates

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the course of my 5 years in the saltwater side of the hobby, I have had my fair share of fights with everything from parasites, to nuisance dinoflagellates/cyano/algae. I can say my current system has been clean and running beautifully for awhile now, and I haven't had a run in with Dino in what seems like years. That is, until I set up my Nano over here at my office. It's been running clean since June, I do weekly water changes, top off with RODI, and I have a sump I built myself with a sand bed, live rock, and chaeto in it that I haven't lighted yet, but I just saw saw that first reddish, stringy shinny bubble coming out of the sand. This reminded me all to well that sometimes a tank could be months old, and still not have the micro fauna population to beat back micro-organisms like Dino's. That stringy...bubbled filled reddish brown strands reminded me all too well of how I dealt with it last time, and hopefully how you can too before it decimates your coral population and then becomes toxic enough to lower water quality and possibly kill of your Clean up Crew, starting a chain reaction of death and heartbreak.

So, what are Dinoflagellates?

Well, Dinoflagellates are a single celled organism called Eukaryotes constituting the phylum Dinoflagellata. Estimates claim that there are about 2,294 living species of freshwater, marine, and parasitic. They are photosynthetic organisms that appear in red swaths in the ocean during certain warm times of the summer. But here in the aquarium, they appear as reddish brown strings of algae that produce shinning bubbles somewhere in those strands, whether it be on coral (which if this is the case, ACT FAST! It will kill your coral), rocks, or equipment. These bubbles within the strands, are a telltale sign to look for if you are fighting Dino verses Cyano, as I have not seen Cyano display this sign before. I won't get too much into the anatomy of these organisms, but if you have access to a microscope, check out a sample to see if it looks like the picture below.

Dinoflaggelates.jpg
Dinoflaggelates 2.jpg
Dino-Pic.jpg

So, for the part you came for! "How do I rid my tank of Dinoflagellates?" Often times, it is starting to inhibit the well-being of your coral, and hardly anything eats it! Lucky for you, the method to fix it has worked for me any time I see it in an aquarium under a year old. Here are some basics to put into place that will help you with a plethora of several different issues, but also this dino one. Whether that be to solve or mediate the issue to being manageable, that all depends on your husbandry skills.

The simple stuff to put in place as it helps with a plethora of things, including dealing with Dinos BEFORE it becomes a problem. My 1-2 KO is towards the end

Natural approach saves the day!
1. If you don't have a refugium yet, GET ONE! I can't say it is the "end all say all of problems", but when you have a well sustained micro-fauna population in a secure location, with plenty of macro algae to compete with micro-algae in the display, you really see a shift in who is winning the fight for nutrients. Lighting options for refugium's can be cheap clip on Walmart lights with Amazon grow lights, or a Kessil H80! What does matter though, is that you source clean, pest free chaeto, hopefully from somewhere like AlgaeBarn. God forbid you get some chaeto from your friend and it has bryopsis on it. "What does this have to do with Dinos?" you ask. Well, the increased population of micro-fauna can put even more pressure on heterotrophic varieties of dinoflagellates by competing for organic waste products as well as serve as a great nutrient removal system when you start harvesting macro-algae. Talk about two birds with one stone!

refugium.jpg

Ah, so clean!
2. If you haven't already, invest in an RODI system, or create a place for a storage container in which you can keep your LFS RODI, which typically is pretty affordable per gallon. RODI water, also know as Reverse Osmosis De-Ionization water, is highly purified water that provides Reefers the cleanest water you can get. I would suggest checking you sediment filters, carbon blocks, DI resin, and RO membrane to make sure that is not exhausted, check this every month, or more frequent, with a TDS meter (Total Dissolved Solids) to make sure it is at 0, or at the most lower single digits if you are strapped on the cost to replace all of your filters. You probably are asking again, "what does RODI water have to do with Dinos?" Well, I can't say much but from what I noticed, having clean water for water changes, toping off, and sterilizing equipment leads to success in keeping problems like Dino from taking hold.

RODI-6-Stage.jpg

ZAP
3. Something that I haven't personally used, but have ROCK solid anecdotal and empirical evidence of working, is a UV sterilizer. A UV sterilizer can be hooked up via it's own pump located somewhere in the sump or back chamber of an all in one system, to pump water into the UV sterilizer at a slow flow rate, allowing the proper time for organisms to pass through the UV light, ultimately killing that organism. These aren't too expensive in small applications, but start to hike up as you increase the size and wattage population. If you don't quarantine your fish, which you should, then this could also help you handle any parasite issues, although this is a lot more situational in the effects in controlling populations rather than being completely clean.

UV.jpg

MY 1-2 KO METHOD
4. Personally, from every experience I have had with Dinoflagellates, doing a 3-day lights out/black out period with cardboard cut to size, taped to the glass, while also carboarding and blanking the top. After that, I dose 1 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) per 10 gallons of water in the display everyday for the black out period, then doing a 25-50% water change after, removing any remaining strands. Usually though, the aquarium is pristine at the end of the blackout, if done successful, so you shouldn't have to clean out too much. Run your skimmer and powerheads the entire time, you want to get out any organics as well as aerating your water, as oxygen levels can drop to dangerous levels during this.

If you have any extra advice, feel free to comment! This is purely anecdotal evidence, but it has heavy support in the hobby, and I really hope this helps someone solve their issue.

With that being said, I am going to go cure my Nano at the office like I did my 125 2 years ago!

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the course of my 5 years in the saltwater side of the hobby, I have had my fair share of fights with everything from parasites, to nuisance dinoflagellates/cyano/algae. I can say my current system has been clean and running beautifully for awhile now, and I haven't had a run in with Dino in what seems like years. That is, until I set up my Nano over here at my office. It's been running clean since June, I do weekly water changes, top off with RODI, and I have a sump I built myself with a sand bed, live rock, and chaeto in it that I haven't lighted yet, but I just saw saw that first reddish, stringy shinny bubble coming out of the sand. This reminded me all to well that sometimes a tank could be months old, and still not have the micro fauna population to beat back micro-organisms like Dino's. That stringy...bubbled filled reddish brown strands reminded me all too well of how I dealt with it last time, and hopefully how you can too before it decimates your coral population and then becomes toxic enough to lower water quality and possibly kill of your Clean up Crew, starting a chain reaction of death and heartbreak.

Well, Dinoflagellates are a single celled organism called a Eukaryotes constituting the phylum Dinoflagellata, estimates claim that their are about 2,294 living species of freshwater, marine, and parasitic. They are photosynthetic organisms that appear in red swaths in the ocean during certain warm times of the summer. But here in the aquarium, they appear as reddish brown strings of algae that produce shinning bubbles somewhere in those strands, whether it be on coral (which if this is the case, ACT FAST! It will kill your coral), rocks, or equipment. These bubbles within the strands, are a telltale sign to look for if you are fighting Dino verses Cyano, as I have not seen Cyano display this sign before. I won't get too much into the anatomy of these organisms, but if you have access to a microscope, check out a sample to see if it looks like the picture below.

Dinoflaggelates.jpg
Dinoflaggelates 2.jpg
Dino-Pic.jpg

So, for the part you came for! "How do I rid my tank of Dinoflagellates?" Often times, it is starting to inhibit the well-being of your coral, and hardly anything eats it! Lucky for you, the method to fix it has worked for me any time I see it in an aquarium under a year old. Here are some basics to put into a place that will help you with a plethora of several different issues, but also this dino one. Whether that be to solve or mediate the issue to being manageable, that all depends on your husbandry skills.

The simple stuff to put in place as it helps with a plethora of things, including dealing with Dinos BEFORE it becomes a problem. My 1-2 KO is towards the end

1. If you don't have a refugium yet, GET ONE! I can't say it is the "end all say all of problems", but when you have a well sustained micro-fauna population in a secure location, with plenty of macro algae to compete with micro-algae in the display, you really see a shift in who is winning the fight for nutrients. Lighting options for refugium's can be cheap clip on Walmart lights with Amazon grow lights, or a Kessil H80! What does matter though, is that you source clean, pest free chaeto, hopefully from somewhere like AlgaeBarn. God forbid you get some chaeto from your friend and it has bryopsis on it. "What does this have to do with Dinos?" you ask. Well, the increased population of micro-fauna can put even more pressure on heterotrophic varieties of dinoflagellates by competing for organic waste products as well as serve as a great nutrient removal system when you start harvesting macro-algae. Talk about two birds with one stone!

Ah, so clean!
2. If you haven't already, invest in an RODI system, or create a place for a storage container in which you can keep your LFS RODI, which typically is pretty affordable per gallon. RODI water, also know as Reverse Osmosis De-Ionization water, is highly purified water that provides Reefers the cleanest water you can get. I would suggest checking you sediment filters, carbon blocks, DI resin, and RO membrane to make sure that is not exhausted, check this every month, or more frequent, with a TDS meter to make sure it is at 0, or at the most lower single digits if you are strapped on the cost to replace all of your filters. You probably are asking again, "what does RODI water have to do with Dinos?" Well, I can't say much but from what I noticed, having clean water for water changes, toping off, and sterilizing equipment leads to success in keeping problems like Dino from taking hold.

ZAP
3. Something that I haven't personally used, but have ROCK solid anecdotal and empirical evidence of working, is a UV sterilizer. A UV sterilizer can be hooked up via it's own pump located somewhere in the sump or back chamber of an all in one system, to pump water into the UV sterilizer at a slow flow rate, allowing the proper time for organisms to pass through the UV light, ultimately killing that organism. These aren't too expensive in small applications, but start to hike up as you increase the size and wattage population. If you don't quarantine your fish, which you should, then this could also help you handle any parasite issues, although this is a lot more situational in the effects in controlling populations rather than being completely clean.

MY 1-2 KO METHOD
4. Personally, from every experience I have had with Dinoflagellates, doing a 3-day lights out/black out period with cardboard cut to size, taped to the glass, while also carboarding and blanking the top. After that, I dose 1 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) per 10 gallons of water in the display everyday for the black out period, then doing a 25-50% water change after words, removing any remaining strands. Usually though, the aquarium is pristine at the end of the blackout, if done successful, so you shouldn't have to clean out too much. Run your skimmer and powerheads this entire time, you want to get out any organics as well as aerating your water, as oxygen levels can drop to dangerous levels during this.

If you have any extra advice, feel free to comment! This is purely anecdotal evidence, but it has heavy support in the hobby, and I really hope this helps someone solve their issue.

With that being said, I am going to go cure my Nano at the office like I did my 125 2 years ago!
Nice write-up!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate Dino’s soo much!! I am still battling them as they have found a place on my back glass but ultimately what helped me turn the tide was a UV sterilizer. Good write up , and best of luck to anyone fighting Dino’s lol

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you had any low nutrient during your dinoflagellates fight?

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate Dino’s soo much!! I am still battling them as they have found a place on my back glass but ultimately what helped me turn the tide was a UV sterilizer. Good write up , and best of luck to anyone fighting Dino’s lol
I am happy that unlike some issues, this issue has multiple ways to solve the issue!

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And lowest?
Nitrate 1ppm and phosphates 0ppm, from what I have read, low nutrients can be a causation too?

I wouldn't recommend a newer reefer to tackle messing with nutrient levels other than exportation methods, compared to chasing numbers, as they could then deal with nuisance algae after. I wouldn't mess with nutrients till they have exhausted the other means of fixing the issues. DO NOT dose what you don't test, I.E Nitrate dosing liquids, etc

Feel free to add any methods you have found through your experience if handling low nutrient levels helped you!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 1ppm and phosphates 0ppm, from what I have read, low nutrients can be a causation too?

I wouldn't recommend a newer reefer to tackle messing with nutrient levels other than exportation methods, compared to chasing numbers, as they could then deal with nuisance algae after. I wouldn't mess with nutrients till they have exhausted the other means of fixing the issues. DO NOT dose what you don't test, I.E Nitrate dosing liquids, etc

Feel free to add any methods you have found through your experience if handling low nutrient levels helped you!
Most dinoflagellates Thrive during nutrient starvation zero N, zero P or both and normally the best way to get rid of them is to simply increase the one that is zero many people use different methods but in the end is all mainly to do with nutrients management :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you care to really nerd out on dinos, feel free to spend the next several days combing through these three threads. These are the gospels of dinoflagellates in reef aquaria.

Nearly 10,000 posts:

A dinoflagellate ID guide thanks to @taricha . Indispensable.

Because Amphidinium are so much more difficult to remedy, they get their own thread -- also courtesy of @taricha

Happy reading!

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most dinoflagellates Thrive during nutrient starvation zero N, zero P or both and normally the best way to get rid of them is to simply increase the one that is zero many people use different methods but in the end is all mainly to do with nutrients management :)
What ranges would you recommend for anyone looking to raise their nitrates or phosphates, and through feeding or liquid dosing? I would love to learn more about the nutrient aspect of fixing the issue

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you care to really nerd out on dinos, feel free to spend the next several days combing through these three threads. These are the gospels of dinoflagellates in reef aquaria.

Nearly 10,000 posts:

A dinoflagellate ID guide thanks to @taricha . Indispensable.

Because Amphidinium are so much more difficult to remedy, they get their own thread -- also courtesy of @taricha

Happy reading!

Thank you! Happy to educate myself more on the causations and remedies, so many people here in Michigan don't use these forums, and I try to help who I can!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ranges would you recommend for anyone looking to raise their nitrates or phosphates, and through feeding or liquid dosing? I would love to learn more about the nutrient aspect of fixing the issue
As long as it’s not zero, anyone should be safe, ati nutrition does good liquid forms

claireep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, Dinoflagellates are a single celled organism called a Eukaryotes constituting the phylum Dinoflagellata, estimates claim that their are about 2,294 living species of freshwater, marine, and parasitic. They are photosynthetic organisms that appear in red swaths in the ocean during certain warm times of the summer. But here in the aquarium, they appear as reddish brown strings of algae that produce shinning bubbles somewhere in those strands, whether it be on coral (which if this is the case, ACT FAST! It will kill your coral), rocks, or equipment. These bubbles within the strands, are a telltale sign to look for if you are fighting Dino verses Cyano, as I have not seen Cyano display this sign before. I won't get too much into the anatomy of these organisms, but if you have access to a microscope, check out a sample to see if it looks like the picture below.

Dinoflaggelates.jpg
Dinoflaggelates 2.jpg
Dino-Pic.jpg

So, for the part you came for! "How do I rid my tank of Dinoflagellates?" Often times, it is starting to inhibit the well-being of your coral, and hardly anything eats it! Lucky for you, the method to fix it has worked for me any time I see it in an aquarium under a year old. Here are some basics to put into a place that will help you with a plethora of several different issues, but also this dino one. Whether that be to solve or mediate the issue to being manageable, that all depends on your husbandry skills.

refugium.jpg

Ah, so clean!
2. If you haven't already, invest in an RODI system, or create a place for a storage container in which you can keep your LFS RODI, which typically is pretty affordable per gallon. RODI water, also know as Reverse Osmosis De-Ionization water, is highly purified water that provides Reefers the cleanest water you can get. I would suggest checking you sediment filters, carbon blocks, DI resin, and RO membrane to make sure that is not exhausted, check this every month, or more frequent, with a TDS meter (Total Dissolved Solids) to make sure it is at 0, or at the most lower single digits if you are strapped on the cost to replace all of your filters. You probably are asking again, "what does RODI water have to do with Dinos?" Well, I can't say much but from what I noticed, having clean water for water changes, toping off, and sterilizing equipment leads to success in keeping problems like Dino from taking hold.

RODI-6-Stage.jpg

ZAP

UV.jpg

MY 1-2 KO METHOD
4. Personally, from every experience I have had with Dinoflagellates, doing a 3-day lights out/black out period with cardboard cut to size, taped to the glass, while also carboarding and blanking the top. After that, I dose 1 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) per 10 gallons of water in the display everyday for the black out period, then doing a 25-50% water change after, removing any remaining strands. Usually though, the aquarium is pristine at the end of the blackout, if done successful, so you shouldn't have to clean out too much. Run your skimmer and powerheads the entire time, you want to get out any organics as well as aerating your water, as oxygen levels can drop to dangerous levels during this.

did the 3 day blackout & hydrogen peroxide kill any inverts or corals?

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did the 3 day blackout & hydrogen peroxide kill any inverts or corals?
No, in fact it saved some that were covered along the edge with dino! Hydrogen Peroxide wasn't concentrated enough to cause any ailment. I use this method everytime as I usually only see these issues in newer tanks or tanks that have been heavily disturbed/power outage and the sand bed died

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a case of Dino’s. After tons of research I found many reefers report some degree of success with all of these approach singularly, so I decided to do an all out multiprong attack figuring thats the best chance it may work.
So what I did was:

1. Scrubbed all rocks with a toothbrush
2 black out 3 days
3. Installed a UV
4. Increased my aquarium temp to 82.5 and keep it there
5. Change out mechanical filtration daily for the week
6. Increased PO to 0.003 and no3 to 10
7. Dumped helix purple and pink coralline into the tank (no one reported this as a solution but I thought that if I have coralline all over it may out compete Dino’s for the necessary trace elements).

I can happily report I have no hint of Dino’s and I now have coralline. it’s been 2 months since. I’m cautiously optimistic that I have successfully beaten Dino’s.
hope this helps

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad Dino out break in a new system about 8 months old. My P04 .03
N03.0
So I took out my Chaeto out my Sump even still having other algae growing in there and I’ve been dosing N03 every day did a one day black out everything went away. Just my alk went up from the black out

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back