Anemone disintegrated in 24 hours.

MyTonyTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a green bubble tip anemone from a well known online store. The anemone was sent overnight and arrived yesterday around 2:00 p.m. I spent more than two and a half hours with a slow drip acclimation. The anemone looked to be in very bad shape when I got it. The bag was full of slime from it regurgitating its previous meal. It was alive though and I had hopes. It was apparent, though that it was incredibly stressed from the trip.

My water parameters are good. I know they're not perfect (PH is always a struggle), but there not terrible.

Salinity 1.024
Ph 7.77
Temp 77F
Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Alkalinity 10dkh
I don't test magnesium and calcium but regularly change my water.

It was dead in about 24 hours. The attached picture shows that there was nothing left but the outer ring of tentacles. It was as if the body had completely disintegrated, like something ate it from the inside out!

This tank has been up for more than 2 years and is stable. The last water change was about 24 hours before the anemone arrived. I've had anemones before in other tanks I've owned in the past, and I've never seen anything like this happen. I'm seriously troubled over the loss of this beautiful creature. It will probably be a very long time before I try getting another one. I'm so sad over this :(

Any ideas what could have caused this kind of destruction so fast?

Thanks,
Tony

IMG_20200711_193050193.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the stress from shipping and then being put into the tank killed it. Any pics of the nem when it arrived ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How was it acclimated to the tank ?

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah I just had this problem with a bubble shipment to be honest they have all been coming in looking like that from over seas. Was it a wild caught or is it a captive split do you know?

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Most likely had nothing to do with your method of acclimation and and tank parameter any Nem that comes in looking like that usually has a really hard time to acclimation even if your params are perfect :(

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry for the stress and loss.

I see your nitrates and phos are both at 0...this is a recipe for disaster in most tanks. It may not be the reason the nem didn't make it but reef tanks do like to have some po4 and no3. I'd try to raise those a tad unless you are running a ULNS on purpose.

Again sorry for your loss!

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for the stress and loss.

I see your nitrates and phos are both at 0...this is a recipe for disaster in most tanks. It may not be the reason the nem didn't make it but reef tanks do like to have some po4 and no3. I'd try to raise those a tad unless you are running a ULNS on purpose.

Again sorry for your loss!
Just won my battle with Dinos doing this. Caught it early, raised nitrates to about 10 and phosphates to .04-.05. I also added a UV sterilizer and my mimic and kole tangs cleared the hair algae. (He mows down algae). My first nems arrive tomorrow morning!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back