[Anemone Experts]- Please Help w/ Rose BTA Hiding and not getting light!!

dryza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Friends,

I have a Waterbox 50.3 AIO that's been up for ~8months. It's a mix reef setup with stable parameters (noted below). I purchased a Rose BTA about 6 days ago and on the second day it went into a cave I have and has not come out for light since, i.e. going on 5-days now. Please note that I've had a GBTA for while now, purchased from the same LFS and it's thriving.

Parameters tested via Hanna Test Kit:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Phosphate: 0.07
Calcium: 420-450
dKH: 10.5-11.0
Salinity: 1.024

Note: The Rose BTA appears to be doing "Okay" and I've offered it Krill twice now and both times its taken it without issues. I've read MANY blogs now and the consensus is to leave it alone and allow it to settle, but my fear is that without ANY light it will begin to windle away.. I should also note that it will be impossible for me to flip the rock/cave it's hiding under as its part of a much larger escape with corals on top.

Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated and THANK YOU in advance!

IMG_4741.JPG IMG_4743.JPG

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry unless you think something is nipping at it (which doesn't look like the case here). The polyps are extended and it can move out towards the light when it "chooses" to.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above.

Also the nem is more than likely getting some light from the reflection off the glass.

I would suggest not feeding it either. No need. Let it get comfy and used to the tank and only worry if it stays retracted a ton, mouth begins to gape, etc. Feeding a newer nem can cause stress as it has to use energy to digest the food. Most of which is not enough or the correct type of complete "meal" for the nem to benefit.

Not feeding also encourages it to come out in the light faster once adjusted. It needs food, it knows this and will come out more to get "food" from the zoox once adjusted.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen with mine when first adding to the tank. It crawled out of sight for over a week, and I was panicked that it would die. But It eventually came out. I used to sing this song to my tank.

Oh where, oh where
Has my Anemone gone?
Oh where, oh where can it be?
With its tentacles sucked in
And its foot dislodged

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rock flower nem hide in a cave for almost 2 weeks before one day I come home from work and it was front and center. I was freaking out everyday after the 3rd or 4th day- but like everyone says- it should come out on it's own. Cheers!

OP
OP
dryza

dryza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rock flower nem hide in a cave for almost 2 weeks before one day I come home from work and it was front and center. I was freaking out everyday after the 3rd or 4th day- but like everyone says- it should come out on it's own. Cheers!
Hi @moorjames - I'm huge fan of Rock Flower nems as you can see from my DT. They have beautiful color variations and tolerant to different parameters. They've gone MIA on me for weeks at a time, but eventually (and luckily) always end up right in the front. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
dryza

dryza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen with mine when first adding to the tank. It crawled out of sight for over a week, and I was panicked that it would die. But It eventually came out. I used to sing this song to my tank.

Oh where, oh where
Has my Anemone gone?
With its tentacles sucked in
And its foot dislodged
@New&no clue - Glad to he hear I'm not the only one.. When searching through R2R blogs most had experienced a few days. So I began to panic once it started to hit the 5th day.

Love the song- I may have to try that to give it a little motivation. lol

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing. I was sticking mirrors in the tank to try and see behind and under things. I was convinced it would die and kill everything. But it finally come out. As long as your parameters are good, it will make it's way.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice a week should be fine it seems your alkalinity was a bit high for the anemone and it adapted over time. If you can, feed him big pieces of clams once a week.

OP
OP
dryza

dryza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice a week should be fine it seems your alkalinity was a bit high for the anemone and it adapted over time. If you can, feed him big pieces of clams once a week.
Thanks for the feedback.

I dose the BRS 2-Part and need to keep dKH around 10.5-11.0 to keep PH from dropping below 8.0. I even installed Co2 scrubber, which helped some, but not enough.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why would an anemone care about alk? They don't use it.

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @moorjames.

Once she's settled, any pointers on feeding? I know there's mix views when it comes to feeding BTA, some are completely against it while others swear by it.. lol
I don't feed mine directly- I just broadcast feed some reef roids a couple times a week and feed my fish pellets and frozen foods (broadcast) so I assume it just catches whatever is in the water. I'm not saying I'm doing it correctly- but they seem fine and happy

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would an anemone care about alk? They don't use it.
You have any source for anemone not using alk? Even if they don’t most people keep their alk around 8-9 plus seawater is at 8. Keeping at 11 is not uncommon, the anemone is probably not used to that much alkalinity.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.

I dose the BRS 2-Part and need to keep dKH around 10.5-11.0 to keep PH from dropping below 8.0. I even installed Co2 scrubber, which helped some, but not enough.
Which is fine. The anemone is probably not used to it. Nice tank btw.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have any source for anemone not using alk? Even if they don’t most people keep their alk around 8-9 plus seawater is at 8. Keeping at 11 is not uncommon, the anemone is probably not used to that much alkalinity.

They don't use alk because they don't have a calcium carbonate skeleton (they have a hydrostatic skeleton). That is why I am asking what they could possibly use carbonate/bicarbonate for if nothing in their bodies is made of it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back