Anemone not looking good.

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a sebae anenome almost 2 weeks ago. The nem looked like it was doing good till I came home from work today and it looked like this. Not sure if my clowns are over loving it or if there is something wrong. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

20200725_194709.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be getting to much attention from your clowns. Other information will help us help you. How long has the tank been established what type of lighting, what size tank, what is flow like? What are your base parameters at.

OP
OP
Zydan777

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be getting to much attention from your clowns. Other information will help us help you. How long has the tank been established what type of lighting, what size tank, what is flow like? What are your base parameters at.
The tank has been running for almost a year. I am using the red sea 50w leds for lighting and the redsea reefwave for flow set to random. The tank is a 60gallon. half the live rock came from my old tank that was running for over a decade. I just got my water tested at my lfs ( my test kit was old and i did not trust it) ( Been going to this LFS for a very long time very helpful and knowledgable) . Was told that all parameters were great. I did not expect my clowns to try to host it so soon but they were loving all over it on the next day. Should I just wait an see how it looks in a couple days? is there a way to keep my clowns away from the nem?

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the lights you are using. I would do a little research and see if they are strong enough to support the nem. How deep is the tank? My gut tells me this may be a combination of stress from your clowns, slight to moderate bleaching from the move to your tank (based on the pic) and not enough light... hopefully others will chime in. If my assessment is correct, you will need stronger lights and to isolate the nem during recovery

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Clowns tend to overdo it at times and literally " pound the daylights out of nems".
I turn lights off when this happens and break up the party

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the salinity of the tank and are you sure you are correct? You mentioned testing at a lfs but what about salinity?

OP
OP
Zydan777

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the salinity of the tank and are you sure you are correct? You mentioned testing at a lfs but what about salinity?
They tested everything. nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, alk, cal, mag, salinty. I know the nitrate, nitrites and ammonia was 0. The cal was 420. The magnesium was like 1400ish. Alk was 8.2 if I remember correctly. I get my saltwater from them and try to do a bi weekly water change of about 10 gallons

OP
OP
Zydan777

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the lights you are using. I would do a little research and see if they are strong enough to support the nem. How deep is the tank? My gut tells me this may be a combination of stress from your clowns, slight to moderate bleaching from the move to your tank (based on the pic) and not enough light... hopefully others will chime in. If my assessment is correct, you will need stronger lights and to isolate the nem during recovery
Ill up the lighting. how would I isolate the nem?

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are baskets you can buy, or use like a breeding or acclimation box. Your lfs should have something. Good luck with it. If you can act quickly there is a good chance to save it. I currently have 4 bta's and a very large carpet in my DT

OP
OP
Zydan777

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is an update. The nem floated to the back corner of my tank upside down. So I thought it was a lost cause and would get it this week and toss it. This morning it is upside right in the back corner and has started opening like normal and its mouth closed up like normal. In the corner my clowns are not able to get to it so I am thinking maybe my clowns were killing it with love. I will keep everyone updated. Thank you everyone for all the advice and knowledge

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is an update. The nem floated to the back corner of my tank upside down. So I thought it was a lost cause and would get it this week and toss it. This morning it is upside right in the back corner and has started opening like normal and its mouth closed up like normal. In the corner my clowns are not able to get to it so I am thinking maybe my clowns were killing it with love. I will keep everyone updated. Thank you everyone for all the advice and knowledge
I had a similar experience with my BTA. I have a banded shrimp that seems to enjoy "caring" for it. But the nem wanted nothing to do with it, and ending up on a "walk about" in the tank. Yesterday, the nem ended up sitting on my powerhead (luckily I had a guard). Turned off powerhead overnight and nem is again on the move.

OP
OP
Zydan777

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a current picture. The question is do I let it stay where it is at or do I try moving it. It looks like it it finally starting to open up again. The foot is not attached to anything and It looks like it us clinging to the corner.

20200727_180312.jpg

OP
OP
Zydan777

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns got to it again. I think next time I'll find something bigger. I think it was too small for my clowns and after more research I think a sebae was not the best choice.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns got to it again. I think next time I'll find something bigger. I think it was too small for my clowns and after more research I think a sebae was not the best choice.
I just ordered a glitter bomb BTA. Thing is beautifully colored, thankfully my clowns are very small right now and I wont have to worry about this. Hope you find another one you like.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back