Anemone stressed or dying???

S@ltydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Over the past week my RBTA has been looking like this more and more. It has days where it is normal looking with a tight mouth, but it seems to be looking like this more and more. I have it under t5 lighting and it is hosted by a pair of clownfish. All parameters are in check and no new additions since this anemone was added 3 weeks ago. It was eating at first but since it has been looking like this it hasnt had an appetite. Its tentacles are no longer sticky and retract when food touches it. I feed it chopped shrimp and fish.

Any ideas???

Thanks for any input

OP
OP
S

S@ltydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2012-02-28_11-50-06_922.jpg

OP
OP
S

S@ltydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is under a nova pro fixture with 6 bulbs. All ATI, 2 blue plus, 3 aquablue special, 1 purple plus.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm very sorry to hear about your BTA troubles. How long has the tank been set up for? Was it wild caught or a clone? I'm actually going through the same problem with my Sunburst BTA. I dunno what the problem is as the rest of my BTA's are doing well. I'm still trying to narrow down what is causing this to one specific BTA and not the rest. In my situation, I plan on doing consecutive small water changes this week. Hope this helps a little. It looks like yours is still attached so there's hope. It's hard to do but sometimes, the best thing to do is leave it alone and let it figure out by itself. Hope you also stopped trying to feed it by now. Good luck to both of us. Only time will tell our story. Hope we both have good news in the next week or two.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS IS MY OPINION but i would get that anemone out of your tank ASAP that anemone is well on its way out the door unless you have a separate tank with absolutely perfect water and the exact requirement for them to thrive. You do not want that anemone to die in your tank if it does you run a really high risk at loosing a lot more live stock. I would go smell the water if it smells like rotting fish it is probably on its way out. Judging by how far its mouth is open it is not well at all and it seems to have a lot of dis-coloration.good luck and if it looks like it is melting remove it. I had one do the exact same thing to me about 7 months ago.

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a RBTA shipped to me from CA and it did that exact same thing for 3 weeks. The mouth was wide open for 2 days. I then placed it at the bottom of my tank in the shade and after a week it was back to looking normal. And by the 2nd week it was eating squid and shrimp. The prev owner had it under t5s and I had a 250 MH. It is not dead yet. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to fall apart go ahead and take it out.

OP
OP
S

S@ltydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone... Here is some additional information. The tank has been set up for over a year now. Between 1 1/2 - 2 years. It is a wild caught Balinese BiColor Red Bubble Tip Anemone w/ purple tips. A VERY excellent specimen. All parameters are in check, no chemical warfare going on. I've removed all threats to this tank. I so far have done a 25% water change and was planning on following suit with the incremental water changes over the next week or two then resuming my regular water change schedule. I contacted where the specimen was purchased to seek advice on treatment from their coral farm experts and am waiting on the response. I have attached another photo that was taken not even 4 hours after the last photo was taken. Its tentacles have extended and inflated more, its mouth is still gaping albeit not as bad but by no means out of the woods. I had already stopped attemped feedings and will resume when appearance and tentacles become sticky again. I hope that your BTA recovers as well. The only thing i can think of honestly is that the food was not chopped finely enough for efficient digestion. It in no way shape or form has snagged the size pieces i have been feeding it out in the wild. I will more finely chop the food when i resume regular feedings. It explains lack of appetite, non-sticky tentacles, frequent waste expelling, gaping mouth, etc... I will keep you all posted, but please do the same Marvin. Also if there is any suggestions i am open for ideas.

IMG953998.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been doing this for a week tomorrow. I'll keep yah guys posted.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 169 73.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%

Back