Anemone swam into HOB skimmer - tap water change indicated?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an anemone swam into my HOB skimmer I believe. The water is really cloudy.

I have to leave for a 24 hour shift in 2 hours. I have carbon running and the HOB skimmer cup fills in like 5 minutes. It’s a 50 gal tank. I don’t have RODI water on hand. Do I mix tap water for a large water change and hope for the best or let the carbon do the work and change the skimmer cup repeatedly? No chloramines or anything in my water it’s a well.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the anemone? How large was it? Water change will not hurt. I would do it as you will regret it if you don’t and things go bad. Tap water is not going to hurt anything other than a possible algae bloom.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the anemone? How large was it? Water change will not hurt. I would do it as you will regret it if you don’t and things go bad. Tap water is not going to hurt anything other than a possible algae bloom.
Quite large. At full size it was probably 8-10”. I cannot find it but the skimmer cup is pulling this weird mucous out. The water is looking much more clear while the salt is mixing. Tap water it is. Thank you

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite large. At full size it was probably 8-10”. I cannot find it but the skimmer cup is pulling this weird mucous out. The water is looking much more clear while the salt is mixing. Tap water it is. Thank you

You should be ok. Skimmer helps and if you have an air stone you may want to throw it in. Sniff the skimmer cut when you get home tomorrow. Blender nem is a special kind of heinous.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok. Skimmer helps and if you have an air stone you may want to throw it in. Sniff the skimmer cut when you get home tomorrow. Blender nem is a special kind of heinous.
Oh yeah. It’s heinous already. Thanks for the advice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back