Anenome help and questions !

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF123527-F8A7-4523-B25A-41C25B00F3FB.jpeg 22BAD91E-A620-4EE2-B040-E735171A2F1D.png Hellllo ! I’m wondering what would cause an anenome to not open fully . I have a rbta and the past few days it’s been weird . Not opening as much , closing earlier before the lights are out .
The picture I’m going to attatch is him when he first got into tank and chose his spot . (Spot with least amount of light ) . Just want to know what could cause this . I do feed him every 2-3 days with mysis.
2nd picture was last week .

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF123527-F8A7-4523-B25A-41C25B00F3FB.jpeg 22BAD91E-A620-4EE2-B040-E735171A2F1D.png Hellllo ! I’m wondering what would cause an anenome to not open fully . I have a rbta and the past few days it’s been weird . Not opening as much , closing earlier before the lights are out .
The picture I’m going to attatch is him when he first got into tank and chose his spot . (Spot with least amount of light ) . Just want to know what could cause this . I do feed him every 2-3 days with mysis.
2nd picture was last week .
Couple things we will need to know to start out. What lighting is it under, what are your water parameters, and how old is the tank?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me in both pictures. They go through stages but I wouldn't say it's not open in either pic. What lights do you run? I'd cut down on feeding as it will catch stuff when you feed fish. They're very good at finding spots that suit them best so I wouldn't worry that it's a place with least light.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things we will need to know to start out. What lighting is it under, what are your water parameters, and how old is the tank?[/QUOTE
AI hydra 52 about 7-8 inches off top of water .
Parameters are all good . I haven’t checked calcium , alk, and mag in a couple weeks. The tank is 4 months . Anenome been in there about a month now .

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
Less then 5 nitrates

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me in both pictures. They go through stages but I wouldn't say it's not open in either pic. What lights do you run? I'd cut down on feeding as it will catch stuff when you feed fish. They're very good at finding spots that suit them best so I wouldn't worry that it's a place with least light.
Those pictures are when it was fine . It’s over the past few days it’s been acting weird. When I got home from work I tried to move it closer to top of tank , away from any corals , closer to strong light . Also away from aiptasia . Couple spots in tank I can see aiptasia .

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months is pretty young for an anemone. Generally anemones shouldn't be added in until the tank matures which can be anywhere from 8 months to a year. I'd cut back a little on the feeding, and see if he improves. He'll move to a spot he likes if he's not happy where he is.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting aside my pic taking skills...

My 2 nems go from pic 1 to pic 2 non stop for no apparent reason and then sometimes the mother (left) will stretch her tentacles almost to the top of the tank, she's 6 and they sit about half way in my reefer 350 (for now).

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0052.JPG

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pictures are when it was fine . It’s over the past few days it’s been acting weird. When I got home from work I tried to move it closer to top of tank , away from any corals , closer to strong light . Also away from aiptasia . Couple spots in tank I can see aiptasia .

Can you post pics of what it looks like now? Basically they need stable params as @crabs_mcjones said which often aren't achieved in 4 months, good light, and decent flow - no fish/inverts to harass them and they kind of turn into a bit of a pest. I don't think aiptasia would bother it, but you may want to get rid of it anyway. You should minimize handling it, it will move to find a good spot. If it's attached and somewhat open, no gaping mouth, it's likely healthy.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pics of what it looks like now? Basically they need stable params as @crabs_mcjones said which often aren't achieved in 4 months, good light, and decent flow - no fish/inverts to harass them and they kind of turn into a bit of a pest. I don't think aiptasia would bother it, but you may want to get rid of it anyway. You should minimize handling it, it will move to find a good spot. If it's attached and somewhat open, no gaping mouth, it's likely healthy.
This is exactly what it looks like right now . I did move him to top of tank , he decided to go behind a rock , so I moved him again . Gently . He seems to be making his way down the side of the rock now .

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18B17A61-456C-4A8B-9528-C719F5CF2A34.jpeg
EE3812E0-F179-4015-AE92-4D30A7248CEC.jpeg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks fine. It could be a bit stressed from moving. I would advise against moving it so many times. It will settle where it settles. Very little that we can do to influence nem’s movement or spot. Once it’s settled and feels safe it will not hide behind a rock for too long. Keep your params stable and as long as it’s attached you have little to worry about.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fine. It could be a bit stressed from moving. I would advise against moving it so many times. It will settle where it settles. Very little that we can do to influence nem’s movement or spot. Once it’s settled and feels safe it will not hide behind a rock for too long. Keep your params stable and as long as it’s attached you have little to worry about.
If the look changes for the bad again I’ll post a picture . Any other recommendations on food for them . I feed it mysis and brine . Not sure what else they like?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people give them chopped shrimp but IME more often than not they spit out large food unless it’s a very large nem. I feed once a week or less as it definitely catches stuff I feed fish including pellets when I’m lazy to thaw. PE mysis or regular mysis is fine. But you don’t even need to feed as long as there’s enough light.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people give them chopped shrimp but IME more often than not they spit out large food unless it’s a very large nem. I feed once a week or less as it definitely catches stuff I feed fish including pellets when I’m lazy to thaw. PE mysis or regular mysis is fine. But you don’t even need to feed as long as there’s enough light.
Maybe I’ll reduce feeding , My clowns are tank raised and I’m not sure it’s there extinct to go back and feed a nem.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D1F85CDF-D2DF-49EA-81F3-CFA7674E26FC.jpeg 61ACCFA2-C27C-4D3C-9020-7A193E46BCC0.jpeg 1836D0F3-9197-4AD5-B32A-E417CE93EF71.jpeg Came home from work today . And this is what the nem looked like . He’s been moving around ALOT but has been in this spot for couple days . Just wondering why it’s closed in the middle of the day!

Back