Angelfish not eating

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, any ideas why this angelfish is not eating? I’ve had him for a few weeks, he ate at first, very slow eater but ate little bits of the floor. Now he hasn’t eaten for a several days, maybe a week. Any ideas, I’ve tried frozen mysis, plankton, angel marine mix, angel frozen mix, new life spectrum pellets, nyos algae and berry pellets. He doesn’t eat! I mix all my food with selcon and/or with the Germany amino acid concentrate liquid additive. What’s the trick here?! What am I missing! Please help, any suggestions. I have another dwarf angel who eats like a pig.

image.jpg image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, any ideas why this angelfish is not eating? I’ve had him for a few weeks, he ate at first, very slow eater but ate little bits of the floor. Now he hasn’t eaten for a several days, maybe a week. Any ideas, I’ve tried frozen mysis, plankton, angel marine mix, angel frozen mix, new life spectrum pellets, nyos algae and berry pellets. He doesn’t eat! I mix all my food with selcon and/or with the Germany amino acid concentrate liquid additive. What’s the trick here?! What am I missing! Please help, any suggestions. I have another dwarf angel who eats like a pig.

image.jpg image.jpg
Assuming this is a quarantine tank, I see another large fish in with it. What size tank is this.
Often when mot eating, can be water, oxygen or disease.
Is fish breathing normal or elevated?
Are you medicating tank with anything?
Adding an airstone will increase oxygen.
What is ammonia and Ph level?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this is a quarantine tank, I see another large fish in with it. What size tank is this.
Often when mot eating, can be water, oxygen or disease.
Is fish breathing normal or elevated?
Are you medicating tank with anything?
Adding an airstone will increase oxygen.
What is ammonia and Ph level?
I have copper in the tank because it had signs of ICH and I thought that might have been the reason for it not eating. After adding copper it’s almost as if the visible signs of ICh had increased as I saw more spots on the angelfish (difficult to see on it) and I saw the spots on my PBT more prominently. The fish seem to be breathing better, I had a larger angelfish which I think was the bully, this one stopped eating after he was put in the tank so I took him back to the LFS after a couple days. The ammonia was showing .25 not sure if it’s accurate because it’s API, and I think copper can give false readings someone said. The ph was low before but I added the seachem marine buffer to bring it up to 8 I believe, still lower than the ideal but not sure that could be the problem. I had an air stone in a couple weeks ago when I treated the tank with prazi.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have copper in the tank because it had signs of ICH and I thought that might have been the reason for it not eating. After adding copper it’s almost as if the visible signs of ICh had increased as I saw more spots on the angelfish (difficult to see on it) and I saw the spots on my PBT more prominently. The fish seem to be breathing better, I had a larger angelfish which I think was the bully, this one stopped eating after he was put in the tank so I took him back to the LFS after a couple days. The ammonia was showing .25 not sure if it’s accurate because it’s API, and I think copper can give false readings someone said. The ph was low before but I added the seachem marine buffer to bring it up to 8 I believe, still lower than the ideal but not sure that could be the problem. I had an air stone in a couple weeks ago when I treated the tank with prazi.
Ph can have an impact if quite low but the buffer especially if added directly to the tank can pose a concern.
A yank bully can be intimidating enough to cause a fish not to eat.
Back to copper, again was it cupramine or coppersafe and What level was it running at and how did you test the level/number?
Ammonia- Was it .25 or .025?
I would suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph can have an impact if quite low but the buffer especially if added directly to the tank can pose a concern.
A yank bully can be intimidating enough to cause a fish not to eat.
Back to copper, again was it cupramine or coppersafe and What level was it running at and how did you test the level/number?
Ammonia- Was it .25 or .025?
I would suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.
The ph was a bit low and I wasn’t aware the buffer can’t be added to tank, I think that’s what the instructions said, where should I put it? I used copper power, I have Cupramine but copper power is safer so I use that. I’ll do another WC on Sunday, dosing the added water for appropriate copper. Unfortunately I don’t have a LFS around that has a better testing system. I’m looking at new test kits apart from Hannah (I only have the one for copper) I’m thinking RedSea might be a better option. I’m really worried about this guy because he’s getting thin.

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the suggestions already posted. Try feeding little neck clams or the equivalent from your local grocery store. That's what I have had to do in the past with my angelfish to get them eating. I just open it in half and pop it in. After about a week they start to eat frozen.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ph was a bit low and I wasn’t aware the buffer can’t be added to tank, I think that’s what the instructions said, where should I put it? I used copper power, I have Cupramine but copper power is safer so I use that. I’ll do another WC on Sunday, dosing the added water for appropriate copper. Unfortunately I don’t have a LFS around that has a better testing system. I’m looking at new test kits apart from Hannah (I only have the one for copper) I’m thinking RedSea might be a better option. I’m really worried about this guy because he’s getting thin.
I see small black specks on his face, along with some white once’s. He’s in a copper power treated tank. I’ll send some pics when I get home but should I get formalin or methylene blue or something to give him a bath? Will that help him eat?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%

Back