OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I would love to have a Golden Butterfly as well - wonder how they are around frogspawn/hammers...

I have frogspawn hammer and torch, never touched them, the only one coral I saw it attacking is wild red sea policipora. and that was only yesterday. not a lot of damage was done.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, all too typical.

You going to, maybe, do a little research on them first? :)

And find out that they are even more shy and difficult that a Regal Angel?

And that they prefer to be in pairs or groups instead of singly?

LOL

yah they are a little shy, difficult more than Regal not sure about that. and yes as you say pairs are better. but I am good with one don't want to add more so they don't team up against my corals

I think getting them in small size also is a good idea

I have had blueface, juvenile emperor, juvenile cortez for 8 years watched it change to adult.
Can You give us more details about your tank size and some pictures, every body love pictures

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice topic as I'll be adding some of both to my tank in the very near future! I do worry about my fatty LPS and zoas!

Sorry I missed the part with fatty LPS and zoas, yes they are at risk, but one thing to keep in mind to minimize the risk is to have them as small as possible when they didn't get the chance to feed on corals at the wild, and keep them well and tummies are full.

As I Noticed Angel have more risk at acans, brians and zoas. but mine stopped nipping at them. While Butterfly have more risk with SPS

diveomanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size : 900gallon
What Kind Of Corals: SPS 90%,LPS 10%,Clams

Fish Name: Pygoplites diacanthus
Reef Safe 80%
Eat: some Acans, Lobos, Symphyllia

Fish Name: Chaetodon mitratus
Reef Safe 99%

Fish Name: Hemitaurichthys polylepis
Reef Safe 99%

15056306_336083643437486_2438205475732070107_n.jpg
IMG_0599.JPG

reeftank220master

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, both fish are amazing, but have thought about any aggregation when both reach adult size.
Wish I can have a Queen Angel , it is so hard to get here in my region
I would have thought it would be easy and far less expensive getting marine fish in Saudi Arabia! I would love to see a pic of your tank
Thanks [emoji3]

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120g 4x2x2
95% SPS. 4 Clams, Zoas, Duncan's. Hammer

Angels:
Masked
Bandit
Bellus
Had an emperor that got too big so he was rehomed. Kept the aiptasia and GHA at bay.

Haven't noticed any problems. Had them from when they were tiny. They could help out by trimming some SPS but no luck.

IMG_6199.JPG

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size : 900gallon
What Kind Of Corals: SPS 90%,LPS 10%,Clams

Fish Name: Pygoplites diacanthus
Reef Safe 80%
Eat: some Acans, Lobos, Symphyllia

Fish Name: Chaetodon mitratus
Reef Safe 99%

Fish Name: Hemitaurichthys polylepis
Reef Safe 99%

15056306_336083643437486_2438205475732070107_n.jpg
IMG_0599.JPG

Nice Tank, oh that Clam is Huge !!!

120g 4x2x2
95% SPS. 4 Clams, Zoas, Duncan's. Hammer

Angels:
Masked
Bandit
Bellus
Had an emperor that got too big so he was rehomed. Kept the aiptasia and GHA at bay.

Haven't noticed any problems. Had them from when they were tiny. They could help out by trimming some SPS but no luck.

IMG_6199.JPG

Nice Fish and tank, Look at that sps growth amazing

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought it would be easy and far less expensive getting marine fish in Saudi Arabia! I would love to see a pic of your tank
Thanks [emoji3]

Where Do I begin ? since we have a long red sea shore many thinks that we can get fish easily , first of all it is illegal to collect anything from the sea. another thing is that i live in Riyadh and red sea is about 1000 Km far from my home.

The reefing community is too small here, Another thing, there are few small LFS in Riyadh and they are almost empty all the time except one shop that exports regularly Sri Lankan fish.

so from where I got all my fish and corals? I Have a good friend who owns a small LFS, and I help him with some tasks in the shop, and for the last year I was handling fish and corals orders from Indonesia and Sri Lanka. and that how I got all my life stock

Some other fishes bought from Bahrain a neighboring country 500 km away that they have some descent fish stores that imports from USA, Australia, Indonesia and Sri Lanka

Ironically the 2 red sea fish I have Golden Butterfly and Purple Tangs are Imported from Sri Lankan Exporter/Importer who got them from Red Sea :)

And sorry for the long Post :p

And finally Some Photos, and you can find my complete build thread here with too many photos :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fadis-reef-180-gallons-sps-dominated-tank.268341/

33246986285_68dad16eca_k.jpg

32726808350_c6dad09f70_h.jpg

33205284436_b0af70868d_h.jpg

33205345386_eb819ca9c7_h.jpg

32402924844_08f8b57171_h.jpg

Last edited:

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emperor and a regal angel in a 400G. Mostly SPS but have also hammer, torch , acan, zoa, 4 clams, lobo.

The regal: nip at everything but no damage. Eat Zoa but leave some alone.
The emperor: also a niper but likes fleshy corals. If one coral is harm i have to remove it because it is gonna be killed.

One thing i find with angels is that they will taste any new coral introduce in the tank. So now when i introduce a coral a chase them around the tank when they approach it. It works for a couple of new additions. I have a acan colony in the tank that was there before the introduction of the angels so i tried to put another frag in and they kept picking at it. I had to removed it.

An other trick is to introduce corals at night. in my opinion they are curious so they are gonna taste it and if they love it they will come back.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel in my 75 gal loves picking at my acans, I lost one, losing another and my favorite biggest one is shriveled and stressed. Gonna give them to the LFS for a better life. My favia gets nipped at, not too bad. I started feeding a lot more frequently plus trying to always have a veggie clip in. Although it doesn't completely stop señor flame angel, it does help. I have a fox face that loves to attack the veggie clips so that's why señor flame angel gets nippy.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel in my 75 gal loves picking at my acans, I lost one, losing another and my favorite biggest one is shriveled and stressed. Gonna give them to the LFS for a better life. My favia gets nipped at, not too bad. I started feeding a lot more frequently plus trying to always have a veggie clip in. Although it doesn't completely stop señor flame angel, it does help. I have a fox face that loves to attack the veggie clips so that's why señor flame angel gets nippy.

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For butterflies, I had small experience with these in addition to Semilarvatus mentioned above

Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus)
Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)

These two were Reef safe fish and extra advantage they were eating aiptasia

On the other hand the following raccoons were not safe at all and eats everything

Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula)
Red Sea Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon fasciatus) which you can fish it yourself in Saudi Arabia easily
There has never been a safe raccoon, aquatic or terrestrial .

aquaman33431

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 butterfly and 5 angels
Tank size : 215-gallon
What Kind Of Corals: 90% acros, gold torch, anemones, gonioporas, Duncan, tubinaria

Fish Name: Majestic Angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? Nips on acro tips but doesn't cause damage.

Fish Name: Emperor angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? Eats tips of my Hawkins Echinata but not regular enough to be an issue. Will eat war coral on occasion. Eats zoas with contempt and also candy canes. Nips at fungia plates.

Fish Name: Flame Angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? He's a model citizen with corals but an *** with the other fish.

Fish Name: Regal Angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? Loves to eat zoas and oddly, material filaments of acros but doesn't actually nip acros.

Fish Name: Potters angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? Model citizen

Fish Name: Pyramid butterfly
Reef Safe or Not

Didn't have time to find my pictures of each fish but here's a video I shot a couple days ago.

Tastefully done Farmer
1 butterfly and 5 angels
Tank size : 215-gallon

What Kind Of Corals: 90% acros, gold torch, anemones, gonioporas, Duncan, tubinaria

Fish Name: Majestic Angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? Nips on acro tips but doesn't cause damage.

Fish Name: Emperor angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? Eats tips of my Hawkins Echinata but not regular enough to be an issue. Will eat war coral on occasion. Eats zoas with contempt and also candy canes. Nips at fungia plates.

Fish Name: Flame Angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? He's a model citizen with corals but an *** with the other fish.

Fish Name: Regal Angel
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? Loves to eat zoas and oddly, material filaments of acros but doesn't actually nip acros.

Fish Name: Potters angel
Reef Safe or Not

Fish Name: Pyramid butterfly
Reef Safe or Not

Didn't have time to find my pictures of each fish but here's a video I shot a couple days ago.

Tastefully done FarmerTY...tastefully done...

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has never been a safe raccoon, aquatic or terrestrial .
lol, not familiar with terrestrial i think we don't have them in middle east.

Man, Beautiful Reef !!! wow those corals are huge how old is the tank ? and For how long did you kept the angel before it overgrowed the tank

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emperor and a regal angel in a 400G. Mostly SPS but have also hammer, torch , acan, zoa, 4 clams, lobo.

The regal: nip at everything but no damage. Eat Zoa but leave some alone.
The emperor: also a niper but likes fleshy corals. If one coral is harm i have to remove it because it is gonna be killed.

One thing i find with angels is that they will taste any new coral introduce in the tank. So now when i introduce a coral a chase them around the tank when they approach it. It works for a couple of new additions. I have a acan colony in the tank that was there before the introduction of the angels so i tried to put another frag in and they kept picking at it. I had to removed it.

An other trick is to introduce corals at night. in my opinion they are curious so they are gonna taste it and if they love it they will come back.

Thanks Dr. Fish For sharing these info, I think Adding the corals at night is a good idea when the fish are not active

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! After digesting all this great info I can't help but wonder if introducing either would be best after corals get a little established. Some of stated that they would be good to keep zoas and spa trimmed back. I would love to have one of these beautiful fish but if there's a risk they would kill a frag I just payed a couple hundred dollars for, it wouldn't be worth the risk. Only I am allowed to kill my expensive frags.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back